Lou Saban 1921-2009

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Mr. Lou Saban

How is he NOT on the Wall of Fame ?

Coach of our only 2 championships.....was a true leader of men

If he was coaching these teams the last few years we would have made the playoffs for sure

Ralph do the right thing and put him on the Wall

He Deserves to be there no doubt

George Steinbrenner weighs on on Sabans death

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees principal owner and chairperson George M. Steinbrenner reflected Sunday on the passing of Lou Saban, saying that the former NFL and college football coach directly influenced his own life.

Saban's career spanned five decades and dozens of jobs, including a stint as the president of the Yankees in 1981 and 1982. He died Sunday at his home in North Myrtle Beach, S.C., and was 87.

"My friendship with Lou goes back to 1948, when we were both involved in a youth track and field program in Cleveland," Steinbrenner said in a statement released by the Yankees.

"He has been my friend and mentor for over 50 years, and one of the people who helped shape my life. Lou was tough and disciplined, and he earned all the respect and recognition that came his way. He spent a lifetime leading, teaching and inspiring, and took great satisfaction in making the lives around him better."

Saban played football at Indiana University and for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL before serving as the head coach of the Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Denver Broncos of the American Football League.

His lengthy career also included service as the head coach at numerous colleges, including Northwestern, Maryland, Miami and Army.

"This is a tremendous loss to me personally, and I extend my deepest condolences to his wife, Joyce, and the entire Saban family," Steinbrenner said.

I don't want to sound cold or anything, but i'm not too sure how some people can call this "sad" or "tragic"

Maybe it's because I work in the medical field and I see things that are TRULY tragic and sad.

But a man who lives 87 good years, doing what he loved at the highest level possible, and being healthy enough to do it into his 80's?

That my friends, is called "winning the life lottery".

Obviously condolences for those who loved him, but trust me: There's no reason to feel sad for Lou Saban.

I'd take his life in a heartbeat. all 87 amazing years.

Cheers to you Lou.

I hesitated to post similar thoughts, but totally agree. I was at the Championship Game in 1964, with my Dad, Granddad and Uncles. They each lived a nice long life, and most of them are gone now. Some year, I had hoped to take my son, Alex to a Bill's Championship game. But this will not happen because AJ became a victim of childhood cancer. He left us on January 5, 2008 at the age of 14-3/4. About a week after he and I watched the Bills for the last time, against the Eagles. Him in his Lynch jersey.

I tell you this for a couple reasons. #1 - Parents are not aware that childhood cancer is the #1 killer disease of all kids under 20. Chances are 1 in 300 of a child developing cancer before age 20. Yet funding and awareness is woefully inadequate. I've become an advocate for awareness and funding, based on a talk AJ and I had. Can you imagine hearing this question from your kid..."Dad, what's hospice?" #2 - Now THAT's sad.

RIP Lou...you just got yourself a fast little receiver, with good hands, that just LOVED the Bills.

td2%5B7%5D.jpg

PS - If you can, take two minutes and read this and support childhood cancer awareness here.

Thanks guys,

AJs Dad

Other than Chuck, I believe Ed Kilgore is the only other journalist from the Saban 2.0 era still on the job. His take:

Lou Saban Did It His Way

The Bills started the '76 season 2-3 and were getting ready to play a home game against the Baltimore Colts, and even though it was early in the season, it was a huge game, because it was a division game, and a win would put the Bills right back in the thick of things.

That Friday, Lou walked into Ralph C. Wilson's office and said "I quit". Keep in mind, this wasn't the FIRST time Saban had quit on Ralph, and maybe it's a coincidence Lou still isn't on the Bills Wall of Fame, but we'll leave that for you to decide.

Think most of us already have.