Ups and Downs - Life is a Carnival

rockpile

Last week my boss came in and let me know because the economy is bad, the orders were not coming in as they had hoped. They were losing money and letting six people go.

I have been there twice already since 2006, so I was both happy and disappointed to hear they were keeping me on, but for only three days a week at 60% of my previous salary. It beats unemployment, and I have two days a week to job hunt, but three days a week pay does not pay all the bills.

The wife works too and will pick up the slack but between the IRA/401K fiasco and employment turmoil, the last two years are NOT what I had planned for my 50's !

I know, boo-hoo. :rolleyes:

All the kids are through college.

I went to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen in February (it was pre-paid so I could still go).

I can cut back on the "extras" and I will be OK.

Since I still have my medical benefits I will spend more time in the gym.

With some luck I can work on being my own business now. Loyalty and giving 110% to someone who can send you packing on a whim is too frustrating!

I feel bad for those of you who lost your jobs completely. Hang in there - it will work out if you are persistent, creative, and lucky!

:(

like the old saying goes "for every door that closes another opens"

what seperates people who are successful from everyone else, is what they "do with it". maybe now you have the opportunity todo some research and go in business for yourself, open a franchise, start a company, or look into something completly different that you have always wanted to do or try.

Can you file for unemployment to get one days worth of pay? When I was on it, as long as you worked less than 4 days a week, you could collect. It would only be about $100, but hey, money is money.

My salary exceeds $405 (not by a lot) so I am SOL on state benefits. They let me choose layoff or part time but I wanted to keep working. They are going to revisit this in June, so they either continue it, bring me back full time, or send me packing. That is why I am using my two days off to seek alternatives.

I would keep my benefits through COBRA at 35% the cost (thanks Obama).