Lynch won't be suspended in my view

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all fine and dandy, but to me, the pot allegations should pull the same weight as a glorified rumor so long as he wasn't convicted of anything.

The administrator of the league's Substance Abuse Program may see things differently. A positive test isn't the only way to get sent into Stage One of the program (italics mine):

Behavior, including but not limited to an arrest related

to an alleged misuse of substances of abuse, which, in the

judgment of the Medical Director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or

psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of substances of abuse.

What Lynch needed to learn from last year's incident was admitting his involvement from the beginning. He did that in this case. So he learned his lesson. And again, having the gun in his trunk isn't even as bad as being caught DUI (without injuring anyone, of course). How many loaded guns injure people in the trunk of a car versus when people drive under the influence?

The lesson was to admit involvement from the beginning?? I thought the lesson was to say nothing from the beginning. In fact, his clamming up after the hit and run was a source of fawning respect from you. Why the sudden reversal?

In fact, with all the tainted evidence and fabricated reports saturating this case, you must have lost all respect for your BBF Lynch when he totally caved and cooperated with the investigation AND copped a plea.

The lesson was to admit involvement from the beginning?? I thought the lesson was to say nothing from the beginning. In fact, his clamming up after the hit and run was a source of fawning respect from you. Why the sudden reversal?

In fact, with all the tainted evidence and fabricated reports saturating this case, you must have lost all respect for your BBF Lynch when he totally caved and cooperated with the investigation AND copped a plea.

Wait, are we talking about copping a plea from a felony down to three misdemeanors, or three misdemeanors down to one? :thumbsup:

But are those all parameters for suspension?

The substance abuse thing? Certainly not by itself. In fact, even if Goodell does decide he should go into Stage One of the program, we probably won't find out about it -- they have some strict confidentiality rules.

But will it give the commish one more thing to think about when he makes his decision? Absolutely. So will the "traffic incident." As Tim found out, Goodell is NOT happy that he's had to talk to Lynch for the second time in less than a year.

A general comment to anyone who believes Lynch isn't getting some time off in September:

Don't smoke that stuff in the car. :thumbsup:

The substance abuse thing? Certainly not by itself. In fact, even if Goodell does decide he should go into Stage One of the program, we probably won't find out about it -- they have some strict confidentiality rules.

But will it give the commish one more thing to think about when he makes his decision? Absolutely. So will the "traffic incident." As Tim found out, Goodell is NOT happy that he's had to talk to Lynch for the second time in less than a year.

A general comment to anyone who believes Lynch isn't getting some time off in September:

Don't smoke that stuff in the car. :D

You've never had to drive from Chicago to Erie! (across Indiana and Ohio) :thumbsup:

Don't smoke that stuff in the car. :wallbash:

What do you suppose Goodell said to Brandon Marshall after his 2nd arrest (the first for domestic assault and the second for DUI)? Seems like he couldn't have been happy then either, yet he chose not to suspend Marshall until his third arrest. :thumbsup:

And hey, it's okay to smoke that in stuff in your car...in Culver City. :D

What do you suppose Goodell said to Brandon Marshall after his 2nd arrest (the first for domestic assault and the second for DUI)? Seems like he couldn't have been happy then either, yet he chose not to suspend Marshall until his third arrest. :thumbsup:

And hey, it's okay to smoke that in stuff in your car...in Culver City. :D

I know you've been counting the arrests. How many meetings with the commish, though? And I'm not asking that to be a wiseass; I seriously don't know the answer. If Marshall's offenses were lumped together into one meeting, that might be different than Goodell warning Lynch last summer, then having to speak to him again ... even though Marshall's rap sheet is more serious.

Goodell is from WNY. i am sure he will do the right thing and not suspend him.

I would hope that would be true, but the impression I get from Goodell is that he was not a Bills fan growing up, even though he was from WNY. And that is kind of unusual for the Buffalo area. Even as a kid he was interested in some day being the commissioner and he was already thinking much bigger than the Buffalo Bills then. He certainly should understand the feelings of people in WNY about the Bills and what they mean to us, etc. But I think in his comments about whether the team stays here in the long run he always seems to indicate that financial viability trumps everything and the pressure is on the Buffalo area to make the team viable. In short, I don't think he is any real ally to us in his office, despite where he grew up. In some ways a commissioner from say Atlanta who traveled to Buffalo and saw how rabid the community was for the Bills would almost have more sympathy for the community, IMO.

But I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure others know more about Goodell than I do and could hopefully contradict my thinking.

I know you've been counting the arrests. How many meetings with the commish, though? And I'm not asking that to be a wiseass; I seriously don't know the answer. If Marshall's offenses were lumped together into one meeting, that might be different than Goodell warning Lynch last summer, then having to speak to him again ... even though Marshall's rap sheet is more serious.

I don't know how many meetings Marshall had with Goodell. It was my understanding that he meets with players after every unfavorable incident, much like he did with Marshawn last year, where there was no arrest involved and just a traffic ticket. And even if he didn't meet with Marshall after his first arrest, he should have met with him after his second, and then suspended him. From Goodell's own words, players should themselves know that they're held to a higher standard and don't need him to remind them of that fact.

So again, I can see Lynch getting a game and it being reduced to a hefty fine, after the NFLPA argues the above. Everyone can have their suspicions on his state of impairment last year, or whether he was partaking in some reefer, but there were no charges related to those, and ultimately he was caught for a gun in his trunk that wasn't harming anyone. And those are as bad as, or worse than, what Marshall did? No way.