Risks for Picks

I'm pretty new to this TBD chat room, so forgive me if I'm suggesting something already written about - I noticed some of the members seem to get pretty mad if people aren't familiar with all the topics being discussed. Anyway, I don't have a lot of Bills fans for friends so this is the only place I can go to exchange Bills ideas.

Here it is: I think the draft this year is really deep at areas where te Bills are particularly weak at; namely DL, OL, and TE.

Why not get as many picks as possible in the first two rounds - depending on how the players are falling, and secure a couple top tier defensive linemen and offensive linemen. Maybe two each. Then, a tight end - there's three that are sure to be upgrades for us in the mold of a fast, sure handed receiver. So, along this train of thought, the Bills stock up on both lines and can still get their TE.

As an aside, if I were a GM, I'd have a few really competent scouts looking for those great athletes that are unknowns, and pick up a bunch of those as undrafted FA's.

Basically, get into the first three rounds and go after the studs on the lines that might help us now, with a TE when the position favors it.

I'm pretty new to this TBD chat room, so forgive me if I'm suggesting something already written about - I noticed some of the members seem to get pretty mad if people aren't familiar with all the topics being discussed. Anyway, I don't have a lot of Bills fans for friends so this is the only place I can go to exchange Bills ideas.

Here it is: I think the draft this year is really deep at areas where te Bills are particularly weak at; namely DL, OL, and TE.

Why not get as many picks as possible in the first two rounds - depending on how the players are falling, and secure a couple top tier defensive linemen and offensive linemen. Maybe two each. Then, a tight end - there's three that are sure to be upgrades for us in the mold of a fast, sure handed receiver. So, along this train of thought, the Bills stock up on both lines and can still get their TE.

As an aside, if I were a GM, I'd have a few really competent scouts looking for those great athletes that are unknowns, and pick up a bunch of those as undrafted FA's.

Basically, get into the first three rounds and go after the studs on the lines that might help us now, with a TE when the position favors it.

Welcome friend. I'm all for getting as many picks as possible in the first 3 rds but how? Do we mortgage our future by trading future draft picks? There isn't too many expendable players on our roster with any significant trade value. Are you suggesting a trade down? If so we could accumalate more first day picks but we would lose being slotted as high as we are now. This trade down could be feasible for extra picks but that would mean that we slide down further in the 1st rd and that would keep us from taking one of the premiere OL but we should be able to fulfill our DE desire with a decent player. I would rather see us take one of the top OL prospects at #11 and trade up into the late 1st rd (ala McCargo) for a DE. This might serve us better but I do like your reasoning.

Oh, btw, put on a helmet and duck because here it comes!

Ya, I wouldn't worry too much what other people say. In regards to trading back into the early rounds, that is always a possibility. However, I do see this draft as deep in talent but not rich at the top. If that makes any sense.

I've mentioned this before, but the front office must have an overall impression of the draft. There may not be a lot of legit first rounders, but plenty of values in the second round and beyond.

In the 1986 draft, Bills Walsh had personnel control for the 49ers. He traded down multiple times in a draft he didn't think featured a lot of top talent. He came away with FB Tom Rathman, CB Tim McKyer, WR John Taylor, DE Charles Haley, LT Steve Wallace, DT Kevin Fagan, and DB Don Griffin. Those seven picks contributed a great deal to their two titles in the 88 and 89 seasons. That's an outstanding draft, and something the Bills needed in 2006.

It's a month out, but trading down to build up picks would be a wise move, provided someone wants the 11th pick. Unfortunately, the Bills will be depending on at least their 1st and 2nd round pick to come in and start. With holes at OLB, LG, and to a lesser degree at TE, they'll do what they normally do and hold steady at 11. At least that's what recent history suggests and I'd only advocate this strategy if they didn't like who was available at 11.

As for scouting, finding unknown gems is much harder today than it was in the late eighties when Polian was out-doing most franchises.