Jarron Gilbert

Magox

I've been hearing more about this guy, so I did a little research, specially after hearing he had a great pro day.

He's a DE 6 ' 5 288 lbs.. Great athleticism. Very fast and strong.

The 2008 WAC Co-Defensive Player of the Year -- with an eye-popping 22 tackles for loss -- Gilbert was characterized by some as a product of the Spartans' aggressive defense until, that is, he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability. Gilbert signed with San Jose State as a 240-pound defensive end in 2004. He added over 40 pounds since and has the frame to add even more. ... The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

He also had 9.5 sacks his senior year

JARRON GILBERT RISING ON DRAFT BOARDS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 21, 2009, 1:53 p.m.

San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert shined at his Pro Day with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan putting him through his paces during defensive line drills, according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Per the report, the 6-foot-5, 284-pounder registered a 4.76 in the 40-yard dash while running into a slight breeze. He also posted a 37-inch vertical leap and a 10-7 broad jump.

Gilbert had dropped four pounds from his NFL scouting combine weight.

With 26 NFL teams represented at the campus workout, Gilbert reportedly put on a show.

“By all accounts, it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one,” Pauline writes.

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox was at the workout as well.

Gilbert’s father, Daren Gilbert, played offensive tackle for the New Orleans

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...9&genpos=DE

also a pretty cool video showing his athleticism

Sounds like a pretty good possible option for our second round pick

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing more about this guy, so I did a little research, specially after hearing he had a great pro day.

He's a DE 6 ' 5 288 lbs.. Great athleticism. Very fast and strong.

The 2008 WAC Co-Defensive Player of the Year -- with an eye-popping 22 tackles for loss -- Gilbert was characterized by some as a product of the Spartans' aggressive defense until, that is, he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability. Gilbert signed with San Jose State as a 240-pound defensive end in 2004. He added over 40 pounds since and has the frame to add even more. ... The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

He also had 9.5 sacks his senior year

JARRON GILBERT RISING ON DRAFT BOARDS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 21, 2009, 1:53 p.m.

San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert shined at his Pro Day with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan putting him through his paces during defensive line drills, according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Per the report, the 6-foot-5, 284-pounder registered a 4.76 in the 40-yard dash while running into a slight breeze. He also posted a 37-inch vertical leap and a 10-7 broad jump.

Gilbert had dropped four pounds from his NFL scouting combine weight.

With 26 NFL teams represented at the campus workout, Gilbert reportedly put on a show.

“By all accounts, it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one,” Pauline writes.

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox was at the workout as well.

Gilbert’s father, Daren Gilbert, played offensive tackle for the New Orleans

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...9&genpos=DE

also a pretty cool video showing his athleticism

Sounds like a pretty good possible option for our second round pick

He certianly is an intriguing prospect.

PFT has an article on him too.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/21/...n-draft-boards/

I love his size, athleticism, strength and production.

22 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and co conference player of the year.

You know at 6'5 288 bench pressing 225 almost 30 times, he is not going to get pushed around. Plus he runs the 40 in 4.76, with a tremendous 37 vertical, which shows lots of explosion, he has the athleticism to be spectacular. Put that together with his production. I'd have to say this is guy could be a gamer.

He's a tweener though. Nobody seems to know exactly how to use him or where to deploy him. He could play either DE or DT, but I've actually read that some think he could play offensive tackle like his dad did.

But with his athleticism, penetration ability and sound tackling he could play DE. He certainly has the size, but he didn't face elite competition.

I think someone will grab him by the 3rd round.

He's a tweener though. Nobody seems to know exactly how to use him or where to deploy him. He could play either DE or DT, but I've actually read that some think he could play offensive tackle like his dad did.

But with his athleticism, penetration ability and sound tackling he could play DE. He certainly has the size, but he didn't face elite competition.

I think someone will grab him by the 3rd round.

I was reading where he could play as a DE or DT in the 4-3.

Measuring his strength, vertical and 40 I definitely think he has the speed to play DE.

As you stated earlier the only drawback is the level of competition he has played. But the good news is that he dominated at that level, and was Defensive player of the year in that conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes early in the second round.

I have followed this guy for awhile now. He is athletic, strong, and fast. However, he is ONLY going to be a 3-4 DE at the next level, and thats that. He isn't thick enough to play 4-3 DT, and he is too big for a 4-3 DE, and he wont be a OT. He is know as the guy that jumped out of the pool:

I have followed this guy for awhile now. He is athletic, strong, and fast. However, he is ONLY going to be a 3-4 DE at the next level, and thats that. He isn't thick enough to play 4-3 DT, and he is too big for a 4-3 DE, and he wont be a OT. He is know as the guy that jumped out of the pool:

You may be right, but I don't think I'd go so far to say "and thats that".

03/20/09 - San Jose State Pro day: It was Pro Day at San Jose State, and this was a far bigger deal than you may think. Thirty-five NFL observers were in attendance, including two headliners: new Ravens head coach Rex Ryan and Panthers head coach John Fox, according to comrade Nancy Gay, who made the trip this morning. As for players, Spartans defensive end Jarron Gilbert and Cal Poly wide receiver Ramses Barden were the main attractions. With two head coaches in the house, there goes any hope the Raiders were going to steal those two prospects unnoticed in the draft. If they want either of them, they'll have to draft them sooner than later. Gilbert would certainly add speed and versatility to the Raiders' 4-3 defense without having to spend the No. 7 overall pick on the issue. The son of former Saints offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, he has incredible athleticism and speed for a 6-foot-5, 288-pound defensive lineman (Gilbert posted a 4.87-second time in the 40 at the Combine, tied for ninth among d-linemen). Gilbert is a projected second- or third-round pick who can play at end or tackle in the 4-3 defense, but also projects as a 3-4 defensive end --thus Ryan's presence in San Jose. - San Francisco Chronicle

That video is crazy!

He doesn't fit our scheme.

wow, 6 foot 5 290 lb player who run's the forty in 4.76 with a 37 inch vertical, who was co defensive player of the year with 22 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks doesn't fit our scheme.

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking I'd rather have him over Ayers. He produced more in college, all be it in a lesser division, but none the less he did more. More Athletic than Ayers, and did well in East West shrine bowl. Dude runs 4.76 and is 290 lbs with a 37 inch vertical, that is some serious explosion.

Gilbert Hoping To Leap Up Draft Boards

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 14, 2009, 2:51 p.m.

A self-described YouTube sensation based on his swimming pool leaping exploits, San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert has become a viral hit with over 600,000 views of a 24-second video of him jumping out of a pool, according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Now, Gilbert is hoping to ascend NFL teams’ draft boards.

“One day our strength coach said Adam Archuleta could jump out of a pool, and everybody was super amazed,” Gilbert said. “I went out there one day — it wasn’t that big a deal to me — and I just went and jumped out of the pool. I found out that I could do it, so I put it on film to make everybody else believe me.”

Gilbert, who excelled in the East-West Shrine Game, has also drawn interest from the New York Jets and several other teams.

At 6′5,” 288 pounds, Gilbert has 4.76 speed in the 40-yard dash with a 37-inch vertical leap, a 10-7 broad jump and has squatted 635 pounds. Last season, he led the nation with 22 tackles for loses.

“Coming from San Jose, it’s a little harder, I think, to get the recognition,” Gilbert said. “But the film speaks for itself. Jumping out of the pool is cool and everything, but being a good player is a little more important than that.”

you may be right.

But why do you say that?

Because, in the middle of practice at some point Ralph is gonna yell out "Jarron! Get your lazy ass over here."

Or what about at the team talent show? TO calls out "Jarron get up and sing me a song you worthless piece of crap!"

You see the problem with this?

wow, 6 foot 5 290 lb player who run's the forty in 4.76 with a 37 inch vertical, who was co defensive player of the year with 22 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks doesn't fit our scheme.

:devil:

Exactly, The Bills never go after DEs that are over 260. They also shy away from guys who make tackles in the backfield. To get that many tackles for a loss, he must have been abandoning his zone to go after the ball carrier.

This is the type of player that would fit better in one of the 'good' schemes.

I really do not think the Bills go D-line on Day 1 of the draft.

I think the Bills like thier top 4 ends and will go into '09 with those 4 ends.

I think the Bills expect the pass rush to come from Schobel, Ellis and blitzes.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Bills really like Kelsey and Kelsey will be a starter and a captian in '09.

I'm thinking I'd rather have him over Ayers. He produced more in college, all be it in a lesser division, but none the less he did more. More Athletic than Ayers, and did well in East West shrine bowl. Dude runs 4.76 and is 290 lbs with a 37 inch vertical, that is some serious explosion.

You beat me to it. He's a DT that's faster than Ayers, a DE. And he can be gotten in a later round. According to NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers), Gilbert ran the 40 in 4.87, Ayers ran it in 4.90 (Maybin ran it in 4.89, by contrast). Tyson Jackson - who would not work as a DE in our scheme (not because he's too big, but because he's too slow) ran a 5.00 (not bad for a DT). I'd still prefer a faster guy to get after the QB (like a Sidbury), but if this guy is available in the later rounds (3rd, 4th) he would definitely be worth a look.