Tom Donahoe -good words for

millbank

In Tom Donahoes Monday question and answers for this week the final question is about so many folks favourite villain Mike. Its nice to see that he was given some recognition for a good game on Sunday, and the thought expressed that he is improving from week to week. So much negative has been said about him on balance only fair to give him his due when he does well, and that does get ignored to easily.

Jason (Buffalo): Hey Tom, I think what you have done is great. We're out of cap jail and our future looks bright. Do you think Mike Williams will be an average tackle/guard or a dominant/great one?

TD: All of us here feel that Mike Williams can be a dominant football player in this league. We drafted him as a right tackle and he is improving each week under the tutelage of Jim McNally and we feel that Mike is not going to do anything but get better. At this time you could probably label his run blocking as dominant and his pass protection is an aspect of his game that gets better each week. We'll let you know that from this past Sunday's game Mike was awarded a game ball by the coaches for his performance on the offensive line.

-- Mike is going to do just fine sometimes patience is necessary (imo)

Questions and Answers

If Mike Williams loses 15-20 excess lbs, that might give him enough added quickness to absolutely dominate in his pass blocking assignments.

The future is still bright for this guy. I'm thinking perennial Pro Bowler if his dedication continues (and it has been since that first rough week of preseason).

If Mike Williams loses 15-20 excess lbs, that might give him enough added quickness to absolutely dominate in his pass blocking assignments.

The future is still bright for this guy. I'm thinking perennial Pro Bowler if his dedication continues (and it has been since that first rough week of preseason).

96137[/snapback]

Well, the game ball might serve as a way to motivate him to keep himself in shape and give it his all. For 36 million dollars, Bills fans deserve more than what we have received.

Perhaps he would be better suited at OG as others have suggested, who knows? What I question is his desire, concentration, and willingness to stay in condition to play football at a professional level.

A few weeks ago, the Texans went into a game w/o thier starting RDE (I think Robaire Smith?) so they took Kailee Wong, a LB who had never played End in his life, and plugged him in there. Wong proceeded to just make a complete fool out of Bryant McKinnie all day long.

I think the Tackles have gotten too big and I wouldn't be surprised to see the league trend towards slighty smaller guys over the next few years.

A few weeks ago, the Texans went into a game w/o thier starting RDE (I think Robaire Smith?) so they took Kailee Wong, a LB who had never played End in his life, and plugged him in there. Wong proceeded to just make a complete fool out of Bryant McKinnie all day long.

I think the Tackles have gotten too big and I wouldn't be surprised to see the league trend towards slighty smaller guys over the next few years.

96325[/snapback]

Excellent! SIMON did you see the Gameday or outside the lines deal on ESPN a few days ago? Maybe it was one of the other deals with Salsbury that ESPN does.

They stated ALL OT's are too big. The best pass rushers in the league are 255-265. They are strong, Quick and have great technique. The fat boys can't lock onto them. They hinted that NFL Front offices are starting to see this and are talking about moving the BIG boys inside.

JMac said in August he wanted MW at LG. Somehow he never ended up there. Too bad. I bet he would shore up LG just fine.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

He needs to drop about 50 lbs. I'd say he is closer to 400 than 350 lbs, and I don't see him being dedicated enough to drop that kind of weight.

So move him inside to guard where everyone knows he should be anyway. I actually think with his size and strength he can be a plus at guard instead of a minus at tackle.

did you see the Gameday or outside the lines deal on ESPN a few days ago?

I didn't see the show, but I'm not surprised they ran this as a subject. We're starting to see it happen more often on the field, and not just to fat scrubs, but big league All-Pro tackles as well. The last time I saw Orlando Pace matched-up with Simeon Rice, I thought Pace was going to retire after Rice just destroyed him. We saw Ogden really struggle to get a handle on Schobel just 2 weeks ago, and the under-rated Jennings get taken to school by the quicker Abraham the week before that (although Jennings was playing on one leg w/ a concussion).

I'm not sure if I like the idea of moving MikeW to LG because the only glaring weakness I see there for the Bills is that LSmith isn't very mobile and TooBigMike wouldn't address that problem. If he can cut a few more lbs and keep working w/ McNally I think he'll be OK as long as he stays on the right side.

If we lose Jennings, Teague might be an interesting replacement out there. But at this point I'm not sure I like the idea of moving him out of the pivot because he's becoming a very good center and was probably the Bills best OLineman up until he got hurt.

Either way I think Donahoe has done a good job keeping our options open with versatile OLinemen, solid backups like Price and enough wiggle room on the cap to make some moves. And I don't think this team is in nearly as bad a shape as you do. In fact I really think if we switch out just one single position next year, and consider that our coaching staff will have a full season under its belt, I wouldn't be surprised to see us contend for a title in '05.

He needs to drop about 50 lbs. I'd say he is closer to 400 than 350 lbs, and I don't see him being dedicated enough to drop that kind of weight.

So move him inside to guard where everyone knows he should be anyway. I actually think with his size and strength he can be a plus at guard instead of a minus at tackle.

96337[/snapback]

you got it right. he's too fat to move the way he needs to. that's why i have always thought he'd make a better guard. but i can see that ain't happening.

he needs to get serious and lose 50lbs. exactly right.