Rate the Starting QB since Jim Kelly

Ranked on down

Doug Flutie- CFL player no compensation

Drew Bledsoe = cost us 1st round pick

Trent Edwards= cost 3rd rd pick

Jp Losman= Cost 1st, 2nd and 5th rd pcik

Todd Collins= 2nd rd Pick

Rob Johnson= 1st and 4the rd pick.

thats 6 QbS and 8 draft picks three 1st rounds: two 2nd rounds: one 3rd round: one 4th rd: one 5th round

Our best Qb came at no compensation of draft picks. Looking at this I know why we suck now Scouting Dept cannot get it right and we overpay to get underperforming talent. I will note my exception is Drew bledsoe he gave us instant creditbaility and was an asset in attraction free agents to our orginaztion and it only cost 1 pick in the first rd. The mistake was letting him go before the back up was ready.

Ranked on down

Doug Flutie- CFL player no compensation

Drew Bledsoe = cost us 1st round pick

Trent Edwards= cost 3rd rd pick

Jp Losman= Cost 1st, 2nd and 5th rd pcik

Todd Collins= 2nd rd Pick

Rob Johnson= 1st and 4the rd pick.

thats 6 QbS and 8 draft picks three 1st rounds: two 2nd rounds: one 3rd round: one 4th rd: one 5th round

Our best Qb came at no compensation of draft picks. Looking at this I know why we suck now Scouting Dept cannot get it right and we overpay to get underperforming talent. I will note my exception is Drew bledsoe he gave us instant creditbaility and was an asset in attraction free agents to our orginaztion and it only cost 1 pick in the first rd. The mistake was letting him go before the back up was ready.

Wow, that sure is depressing when you look at it from a cost perspective. Not only is this an indictment of our scouting department, but also of our coaching staffs and their inability to develop QB talent (which may have been impossible in a couple of cases, but probably not 100% impossible)

1. Holcomb. I know I'm going to take some flak for this. I'm putting Holcomb here not because he was great, but because the other quarterbacks on this list were fatally flawed. If you want to beat Johnson, send pressure. If you want to beat Bledsoe, send pressure up the middle. If you want to beat Losman, double cover his primary target. If you want to beat Todd Collins, place eleven defenders on the football field.

In every game Holcomb played from start to finish, the Bills' offense scored at least 14 points. And this was with no offensive line, questionable coaching, and an inconsistent running game. With Holcomb under center, the offense produced. Fans may not be happy with all the dinking and dunking he did, but he produced.

Take that game in Foxboro. People remember that game because he threw a very short pass to Moulds on 4th and 11. But how often does a Bills game in Foxboro come down to a late fourth quarter drive in the first place? How often does our offense play well enough during the first three quarters for that fourth quarter to actually matter?

And on the drive in question, the Bills had already moved the chains once or twice, and the Patriots' defense was starting to look vulnerable. Then, on a crucial third and long play, Holcomb completed a pass to Moulds for a first down. Unfortunately, the officials decided to call it back, using some ticky-tack offensive pass interference penalty on Moulds as their excuse. Then on that fourth and long play, Parrish was to be Holcomb's primary target (he was a rookie with zero NFL catches at that point). But the Patriots shifted immediately before the snap, doubling Parrish.

On that play, a perfect quarterback would have realized that he was getting much better pass protection than usual, and that he could afford to stand there in the pocket until Sam Gash came open. But I don't think many of the other guys on this list would have made the throw to Gash. Bledsoe wouldn't have (this was against the Patriots, after all). Losman wouldn't have (he isn't exactly known for seeing his third and fourth reads). Rob Johnson probably would have. Rob Johnson clearly was willing to stand in the pocket and wait for guys to come open. But Johnson clearly had other problems.

Holcomb's Achilles Heel was his lack of arm strength. But, considering his lack of arm strength, he was clearly able to accomplish a lot. And even though the Bills' offensive options were limited because of his lack of arm strength, the fact that our offense always produced at least 14 points a game with him under center demonstrates that no one, not even the Patriots, was able to figure out a way to stop him completely.

2. Doug Flutie. His first year as a starter was quite good. He produced more than Holcomb, albeit under better circumstances. His level of production dropped off precipitously during his second year here. We kept hearing how he played "well enough to win" when it was clear the Bills were winning despite Flutie, not because of him. Like Holcomb, Flutie lacked the arm strength with which to make all the throws (though Flutie's arm was stronger than Holcomb's). Flutie also had good mobility; which Holcomb clearly did not. Where I feel Holcomb rises above Flutie is in his ability to dink and dunk his way down the field, despite receiving no pass protection whatsoever. When teams focused on taking away the short stuff, the Flutie-led offense faltered. I think that teams were focused on taking away the short stuff against Holcomb as well--they knew he was no long bomb threat--but Holcomb produced anyway.

3. Bledsoe. His first games as a Bill probably represented the best eight game stretch by any Bills QB ever. After that, he was mediocre at best. Definitely a sack waiting to happen; albeit not to the same extent as a certain other quarterback on this list. He ranks lower than Holcomb because with Holcomb, we could go toe-to-toe with the Patriots, and come close to winning. With Bledsoe at QB, we were sure to get crushed. Not only that, but a Bledsoe game against the Patriots would involve Bledsoe playing very poorly, and looking defeated and dejected on the sidelines--mourning his defeat--as early as the second or third quarter.

4. Trent Edwards. This is a very hard player to rank. If he's the same guy we saw the first five or six games of the season, he clearly belongs near or at the top of this list. If he's the same guy we saw against 3-4 defenses/8 men in coverage, he probably belongs somewhere rather lower. When he plays well, he can kill a defense with a million small cuts. And while his arm strength is not spectacular, it's good enough to allow the occasional long bomb to Evans.

5. Rob Johnson. If the Bills had a Pro Bowl offensive line, and Pro Bowl level blitz pickup, Rob Johnson would be the top quarterback on this list. A very good, accurate passer when given time to throw. His intermediate to deep passing game was a thing of beauty. But he had zero pocket awareness whatsoever, took more sacks than a kleptomaniac unleashed upon a manufacturer of plastic bags, and was often injured. It's frustrating that he never learned to sense pressure or to get rid of the ball quickly, because he clearly had so much potential to be good.

6. J.P. Losman. A player with all the physical tools to be a good quarterback, and none of the mental tools. He had some success running a very simplified version of the Bills' offense during the second half of the 2006 season. And perhaps he could still have some successes in such a scheme, assuming defenses didn't catch on. He throws a good long bomb, has good scrambling ability, and can sometimes throw a good pass down the sidelines after being forced to roll out of the pocket. He's basically the Bills' answer to Kordell Stewart (and, not coincidentally, drafted by the same guy who took Stewart).

7. Todd Collins. A dismal failure while he was here.

1. Holcomb. I know I'm going to take some flak for this. I'm putting Holcomb here not because he was great, but because the other quarterbacks on this list were fatally flawed. If you want to beat Johnson, send pressure. If you want to beat Bledsoe, send pressure up the middle. If you want to beat Losman, double cover his primary target. If you want to beat Todd Collins, place eleven defenders on the football field.

In every game Holcomb played from start to finish, the Bills' offense scored at least 14 points. And this was with no offensive line, questionable coaching, and an inconsistent running game. With Holcomb under center, the offense produced. Fans may not be happy with all the dinking and dunking he did, but he produced.

Take that game in Foxboro. People remember that game because he threw a very short pass to Moulds on 4th and 11. But how often does a Bills game in Foxboro come down to a late fourth quarter drive in the first place? How often does our offense play well enough during the first three quarters for that fourth quarter to actually matter?

And on the drive in question, the Bills had already moved the chains once or twice, and the Patriots' defense was starting to look vulnerable. Then, on a crucial third and long play, Holcomb completed a pass to Moulds for a first down. Unfortunately, the officials decided to call it back, using some ticky-tack offensive pass interference penalty on Moulds as their excuse. Then on that fourth and long play, Parrish was to be Holcomb's primary target (he was a rookie with zero NFL catches at that point). But the Patriots shifted immediately before the snap, doubling Parrish.

On that play, a perfect quarterback would have realized that he was getting much better pass protection than usual, and that he could afford to stand there in the pocket until Sam Gash came open. But I don't think many of the other guys on this list would have made the throw to Gash. Bledsoe wouldn't have (this was against the Patriots, after all). Losman wouldn't have (he isn't exactly known for seeing his third and fourth reads). Rob Johnson probably would have. Rob Johnson clearly was willing to stand in the pocket and wait for guys to come open. But Johnson clearly had other problems.

Holcomb's Achilles Heel was his lack of arm strength. But, considering his lack of arm strength, he was clearly able to accomplish a lot. And even though the Bills' offensive options were limited because of his lack of arm strength, the fact that our offense always produced at least 14 points a game with him under center demonstrates that no one, not even the Patriots, was able to figure out a way to stop him completely.

2. Doug Flutie. His first year as a starter was quite good. He produced more than Holcomb, albeit under better circumstances. His level of production dropped off precipitously during his second year here. We kept hearing how he played "well enough to win" when it was clear the Bills were winning despite Flutie, not because of him. Like Holcomb, Flutie lacked the arm strength with which to make all the throws (though Flutie's arm was stronger than Holcomb's). Flutie also had good mobility; which Holcomb clearly did not. Where I feel Holcomb rises above Flutie is in his ability to dink and dunk his way down the field, despite receiving no pass protection whatsoever. When teams focused on taking away the short stuff, the Flutie-led offense faltered. I think that teams were focused on taking away the short stuff against Holcomb as well--they knew he was no long bomb threat--but Holcomb produced anyway.

3. Bledsoe. His first games as a Bill probably represented the best eight game stretch by any Bills QB ever. After that, he was mediocre at best. Definitely a sack waiting to happen; albeit not to the same extent as a certain other quarterback on this list. He ranks lower than Holcomb because with Holcomb, we could go toe-to-toe with the Patriots, and come close to winning. With Bledsoe at QB, we were sure to get crushed. Not only that, but a Bledsoe game against the Patriots would involve Bledsoe playing very poorly, and looking defeated and dejected on the sidelines--mourning his defeat--as early as the second or third quarter.

4. Trent Edwards. This is a very hard player to rank. If he's the same guy we saw the first five or six games of the season, he clearly belongs near or at the top of this list. If he's the same guy we saw against 3-4 defenses/8 men in coverage, he probably belongs somewhere rather lower. When he plays well, he can kill a defense with a million small cuts. And while his arm strength is not spectacular, it's good enough to allow the occasional long bomb to Evans.

5. Rob Johnson. If the Bills had a Pro Bowl offensive line, and Pro Bowl level blitz pickup, Rob Johnson would be the top quarterback on this list. A very good, accurate passer when given time to throw. His intermediate to deep passing game was a thing of beauty. But he had zero pocket awareness whatsoever, took more sacks than a kleptomaniac unleashed upon a manufacturer of plastic bags, and was often injured. It's frustrating that he never learned to sense pressure or to get rid of the ball quickly, because he clearly had so much potential to be good.

6. J.P. Losman. A player with all the physical tools to be a good quarterback, and none of the mental tools. He had some success running a very simplified version of the Bills' offense during the second half of the 2006 season. And perhaps he could still have some successes in such a scheme, assuming defenses didn't catch on. He throws a good long bomb, has good scrambling ability, and can sometimes throw a good pass down the sidelines after being forced to roll out of the pocket. He's basically the Bills' answer to Kordell Stewart (and, not coincidentally, drafted by the same guy who took Stewart).

7. Todd Collins. A dismal failure while he was here.

And I know I will take flack, but here I go anyways:

1- Bledsoe

2- Flutie

3- Edwards

4- Rob Johnson

5- Holcomb

6- Todd Collins

7- Alex Van Pelt

8- JP Losman

I might give it to Flutie, based purely on results, but I could never stand the guy, before, during, and after his tenure with the Bills. You could argue, and you would be right I think, that as good as Flutie was at times, he was helped a lot by a top notch defense, and a much better assortment of offensive talent than any of these other guys had, except RJ.

Bledsoes effectiveness was short lived, but he was really outstanding for a short stretch. And lets face it, we are judging all these guys on a short stretch. His first 8 games in Buffalo were amazing. I don't know that the Bills offense has ever looked so good.

With Trent, it is still too early to tell, so I will acknowledge I am giving him a big benefit of a doubt. I felt great about him for a while, even before the 4-0 start, but there were some troubling tendancies down the stretch. I am still hopeful he is smart enough to overcome some of them. If not, I flip him and RJ.

Having recently gone through a lot of those Flutie/Johnson games, it is easy to forget, as fragile as he was, RJ had some really great performances. And, he was a far better decision maker than you would think, given the institutionalized joke he has become.

I kind of put Collins and Van Pelt in the same category. Competant at best, not very inspiring...guys I wouldn't mind starting for a game or two, but not long term answers for anyone. As Kelly's backup in 1995 and 1996, Collins was a good game manager, who started in a couple of big, important victories. Kelly Holcomb is a more refined, and slightly better version, of the two.

JP Losman, is the polar opposite of Flutie, for me. As much as I can't stand Flutie, I liked JP Losman. But, I give Flutie credit for playing beyond some of his physical limitations, and for the fact that he was a really great decision maker, who executed at a high level, particularly on broken plays. JP, just the opposite, should be better than he is. He doesn't seem to have any physical limitations, but something just holds the kid back from turning the corner. Any highlight film of his career in Buffalo will consist of about 8-10 big gainers to Lee Evans, and very little else. There weren't any amazing scrambles, and the offense was never very efficient, beyond those bombs to Evans. It always seems like the little things, the nuances of the position, on the field, just come too hard to JP. I really wish him well...

Had we stayed with Collins all these years we could have built out the rest of the team instead of wasting so much time, money and traded picks for a QB. I will say this about Collins he did outplay Campbell in DC when he got a shot last year. I thought he was good and tough from day 1, problem was coming in on the heels of Kelly with a team full of aging vets that wanted to win now, made it all but impossible for TC to get a fair shot.

And I know I will take flack, but here I go anyways:

1- Bledsoe

2- Flutie

3- Edwards

4- Rob Johnson

5- Holcomb

6- Todd Collins

7- Alex Van Pelt

8- JP Losman

I might give it to Flutie, based purely on results, but I could never stand the guy, before, during, and after his tenure with the Bills. You could argue, and you would be right I think, that as good as Flutie was at times, he was helped a lot by a top notch defense, and a much better assortment of offensive talent than any of these other guys had, except RJ.

Bledsoes effectiveness was short lived, but he was really outstanding for a short stretch. And lets face it, we are judging all these guys on a short stretch. His first 8 games in Buffalo were amazing. I don't know that the Bills offense has ever looked so good.

With Trent, it is still too early to tell, so I will acknowledge I am giving him a big benefit of a doubt. I felt great about him for a while, even before the 4-0 start, but there were some troubling tendancies down the stretch. I am still hopeful he is smart enough to overcome some of them. If not, I flip him and RJ.

Having recently gone through a lot of those Flutie/Johnson games, it is easy to forget, as fragile as he was, RJ had some really great performances. And, he was a far better decision maker than you would think, given the institutionalized joke he has become.

I kind of put Collins and Van Pelt in the same category. Competant at best, not very inspiring...guys I wouldn't mind starting for a game or two, but not long term answers for anyone. As Kelly's backup in 1995 and 1996, Collins was a good game manager, who started in a couple of big, important victories. Kelly Holcomb is a more refined, and slightly better version, of the two.

JP Losman, is the polar opposite of Flutie, for me. As much as I can't stand Flutie, I liked JP Losman. But, I give Flutie credit for playing beyond some of his physical limitations, and for the fact that he was a really great decision maker, who executed at a high level, particularly on broken plays. JP, just the opposite, should be better than he is. He doesn't seem to have any physical limitations, but something just holds the kid back from turning the corner. Any highlight film of his career in Buffalo will consist of about 8-10 big gainers to Lee Evans, and very little else. There weren't any amazing scrambles, and the offense was never very efficient, beyond those bombs to Evans. It always seems like the little things, the nuances of the position, on the field, just come too hard to JP. I really wish him well...

You express yourself well, so it's going to be hard for me to give you much flak. The one area I'd disagree is that I'd place a somewhat higher ranking on Holcomb. Consider what he had to work with:

LT: Mike Gandy

LG: some guy--I don't remember who--whom they tried to replace with Mike Williams

C: Trey Teague

RG: Chris Villarrial

RT: Mike Williams

This is the worst offensive line I can remember us having which, coming from a Bills fan, is saying a lot! I'm no expert, but I secretly suspect that line may be one of the worst in NFL history. Despite playing behind this putrid line, Holcomb averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt while he was here. Bledsoe averaged 7.1, 6.1, and 6.5 yards per pass attempt during his stay in Buffalo; falling below Holcomb's level of achievement in two years out of three. And that was with a significantly better offensive line than the one Holcomb had.

You express yourself well, so it's going to be hard for me to give you much flak. The one area I'd disagree is that I'd place a somewhat higher ranking on Holcomb. Consider what he had to work with:

LG: some guy--I don't remember who--whom they tried to replace with Mike Williams

This is the worst offensive line I can remember us having which, coming from a Bills fan, is saying a lot! I'm no expert, but I secretly suspect that line may be one of the worst in NFL history. Despite playing behind this putrid line, Holcomb averaged 6.6 yards per pass attempt while he was here. Bledsoe averaged 7.1, 6.1, and 6.5 yards per pass attempt during his stay in Buffalo; falling below Holcomb's level of achievement in two years out of three. And that was with a significantly better offensive line than the one Holcomb had.

The problem with Holcomb is the more he played the more apparent it was to the competition just how weak his arm was. I remember in one of his last starts against the Raiders, the defense wasn't bothering with anything 30 yards past the line of scrimmage. And they even came out and said why defend that part of the field from a pass when you know he can't get it there?

One just had the sense that over time Holcomb's starting performances were going to get worse and worse. OK for a backup, but not a starter.

Don't get me wrong, I think Holcomb was adequate at the time. On a more talented team, he may have even have been pretty good. I am one who thinks that it is too easy to blame everything that has plauged the Bills for years, on the offensive line. The group you mention was pretty bad, as a unit, but all of them, except Williams, went on to start for other teams, and had/or are having respectable, if unspectacular, NFL careers. As much as we critique and criticize offensive lines (and I have done it too) at some point, the QB is partly responsible for how his line looks.

Don't get me wrong, I think Holcomb was adequate at the time. On a more talented team, he may have even have been pretty good. I am one who thinks that it is too easy to blame everything that has plauged the Bills for years, on the offensive line. The group you mention was pretty bad, as a unit, but all of them, except Williams, went on to start for other teams, and had/or are having respectable, if unspectacular, NFL careers. As much as we critique and criticize offensive lines (and I have done it too) at some point, the QB is partly responsible for how his line looks.

The bolded statement does not ring true to me. Gandy is currently with the Cardinals, but who else went on to do anything in a starting role with some other team? Our LG for that year I don't think did anything after that. Trey Teague signed with the Jets, and I think they had him as a starter for a few games--maybe even a season--before they were able to make do without that stopgap measure. Chris Villarrial had nothing left in the tank after we cut him, and I'm almost certain he didn't receive significant playing time after his Buffalo days were over. And as you mentioned, Mike Williams was no longer a starter after we'd released him. So that's one full case of a guy contributing significantly to some other team's line (Mike Gandy), and another case of a guy being used as a very temporary stopgap (Teague).

As far as the quarterback being partially responsible for making his line look good, I'll agree with you to a point. The two things a quarterback can do are these:

1) Getting rid of the ball in a hurry, instead of holding onto it all day.

2) Being adroit about moving around in the pocket.

Holcomb did an outstanding job on #1; making his line look significantly better than it really was. I think he did a pretty good job with #2. The line he played behind looked bad because the linemen were bad, not because the quarterback made them look worse than they were. That line would have looked downright awful no matter which quarterback you placed behind it.

As far as complaining about the line goes--if you see it either being ignored on draft day, or being filled with busts (Mike Williams) or first contract and out players (Jennings), or free agents no one else really wanted (just about everyone else), and if you see it failing to provide either pass protection or run blocking, and if you see Dr. Z listing the Bills as a team which collapsed due to bad offensive line play (as he did a few years ago), then complaining about the line is a perfectly reasonable and natural response.

The bolded statement does not ring true to me. Gandy is currently with the Cardinals, but who else went on to do anything in a starting role with some other team? Our LG for that year I don't think did anything after that. Trey Teague signed with the Jets, and I think they had him as a starter for a few games--maybe even a season--before they were able to make do without that stopgap measure. Chris Villarrial had nothing left in the tank after we cut him, and I'm almost certain he didn't receive significant playing time after his Buffalo days were over. And as you mentioned, Mike Williams was no longer a starter after we'd released him. So that's one full case of a guy contributing significantly to some other team's line (Mike Gandy), and another case of a guy being used as a very temporary stopgap (Teague).

As far as the quarterback being partially responsible for making his line look good, I'll agree with you to a point. The two things a quarterback can do are these:

1) Getting rid of the ball in a hurry, instead of holding onto it all day.

2) Being adroit about moving around in the pocket.

Holcomb did an outstanding job on #1; making his line look significantly better than it really was. I think he did a pretty good job with #2. The line he played behind looked bad because the linemen were bad, not because the quarterback made them look worse than they were. That line would have looked downright awful no matter which quarterback you placed behind it.

As far as complaining about the line goes--if you see it either being ignored on draft day, or being filled with busts (Mike Williams) or first contract and out players (Jennings), or free agents no one else really wanted (just about everyone else), and if you see it failing to provide either pass protection or run blocking, and if you see Dr. Z listing the Bills as a team which collapsed due to bad offensive line play (as he did a few years ago), then complaining about the line is a perfectly reasonable and natural response.

Maybe you are right. Holcomb looked like a better QB in Cleveland and Minnesota, with more offensive talent around him. Again, I am not trying to write the guy off as being awful, I guess I just never felt like he was going to have one of those games where his play elevated the guys around him. He was just kind of there. Never awful (except the pass to Moulds 8 yards behind the first down marker, along the sideline against Denver), he never really got the blood flowing either. Rob Johnson had those games every now and again where you could kind of see what Butler saw in him, to make the trade. He was, IMO, just too mentally fragile to handle coming in second in a popularity contest with Flutie. A guy like Holcomb would have been a perfect backup for someone like Johnson. I am thinking the Bills signing Fitzgerald is a bit of an attempt at creating a non-threatening atmosphere for Edwards.

Through their history, the Bills have never been good at selecting and developing quarterbacks. The only one who came to the Bills with no experience and developed into a good QB with Buffalo was Ferguson. The only other two good QBs here, Kelly and Kemp, came with previous successful pro experience - Kelly in the USFL, Kemp with SD (scary thought – what is Kelly had come as a rookie and been left to develop under coaches like Stephenson and Bullough). The best of the rest, Bledsoe and Flutie, also had considerable experience prior to playing for the Bills. Not that the Bills have always been that good at picking up experienced veterans – take Ferragomo and Flores for example. The Bills did have two QBs that started their careers here, but succeeded only after leaving Buffalo - Lamonica and Harris.

Not a very good track record. Makes you wonder if we’ll ever see another decent QB in a Bills uniform.

Doug -- We may be experiencing a curse leveled on us for the mistreatment of Mr. Flutie.

Drew -- May have been the next big thing here if he had decent blocking and coaching. But in the end, I blame his family.

Trent -- The jury most certainly is still out, and I hope he tops this list by the end of 2009

JP -- Top of the bottom

Rob -- If the refs correctly call it a forward lateral, he may have been atop this list

Todd -- He just needed to sit around and learn a system for 10 years before starting

What a sad list.

Doug -- We may be experiencing a curse leveled on us for the mistreatment of Mr. Flutie.

Drew -- May have been the next big thing here if he had decent blocking and coaching. But in the end, I blame his family.

Trent -- The jury most certainly is still out, and I hope he tops this list by the end of 2009

JP -- Top of the bottom

Rob -- If the refs correctly call it a forward lateral, he may have been atop this list

Todd -- He just needed to sit around and learn a system for 10 years before starting

What a sad list.

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. What are we rating here? Not much too chose from here. All of them should be rated last. QB play is one of the biggest problems with this team. We haven't had a stud at QB since Jim Kelly. We need a true gun slinger back there. Til then, we ain't winning!

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. What are we rating here? Not much too chose from here. All of them should be rated last. QB play is one of the biggest problems with this team. We haven't had a stud at QB since Jim Kelly. We need a true gun slinger back there. Til then, we ain't winning!

No One agrees with me?