What if Josh Reed gains 15 lbs and becomes a classic flanker/utility b

Hossage

Considering his blocking skills and ability to run after the catch, and if we have Coles as a number 2, could we then move Reed into the role of a classic right halfback in the wing-t or a wing back in singleback sets?

Reed is a former running back and has the ability to get open in space quickly. He is not incredibly fast, but he is agile and has great hands. As his career progresses, he has taken on more of a Hines Ward role as a blocker and underneath receiver in close formations. We have versatile players with our two small and fast tight ends, running backs that can catch, and a quarterback who can spread the ball around and throw accurately underneath.

Who else can see an offense that draws players in close to the line of scrimmage and spreads the defense, but still retains the ability to run the ball? Like New England does so successfully with Whelker and receiving halfbacks/fullbacks, we could open up a world of playaction and quick hitting draws.

We could use jackson in the role of an offset back in flexible spread formations also, like St. Loius did so successfully with Marshall Faulk. Tell me what you think, gentlemen.

Considering his blocking skills and ability to run after the catch, and if we have Coles as a number 2, could we then move Reed into the role of a classic right halfback in the wing-t or a wing back in singleback sets?

Reed is a former running back and has the ability to get open in space quickly. He is not incredibly fast, but he is agile and has great hands. As his career progresses, he has taken on more of a Hines Ward role as a blocker and underneath receiver in close formations. We have versatile players with our two small and fast tight ends, running backs that can catch, and a quarterback who can spread the ball around and throw accurately underneath.

Who else can see an offense that draws players in close to the line of scrimmage and spreads the defense, but still retains the ability to run the ball? Like New England does so successfully with Whelker and receiving halfbacks/fullbacks, we could open up a world of playaction and quick hitting draws.

We could use jackson in the role of an offset back in flexible spread formations also, like St. Loius did so successfully with Marshall Faulk. Tell me what you think, gentlemen.

Given the fact that Reed is already notorious for being a workout fanatic and at his age he is not likely going to add that kind of weight to himself (he could just add fat I suppose but not a smart move). Your idea has no legs

You are assuming that he is training for bulk. The notion that he is a workout fanatic does not mean that he is at the highest weight of lean muscle that he can carry, especially at the wide receiver position. I played football and ran track at around 200-210 lbs, but I could easily carry 240. Age has little bearing on the ability to put on strength.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, especially since he is not particularly tall. Whatever his ability to add strength may be, we could still use him more in this role even at his current weight. I think you have dismissed my idea out of hand.

Assuming you are correct, I would like to know what the peanut gallery thinks of a versatile guy in this role for our team. Sort of like a Larry Centers type of guy. I think Jackson could be used more in this way also. Mile Sellers and Ladell bets are slightly more in the mold of a running back than i envision this role, but similar. A sort of quicker, smaller Chris Cooley.