Starting to wonder if FO is incompetent

jahnyc

How else can you explain this mess? Dockery is released without any replacement on the roster and free agency and the college draft are weak at this position. Will they sign the guy from Carolina for three or four million a year? Does that make sense given that Dockery was going to make about four million a year for the next five years? Based on prior free agent acquisitions by this FO, what are the chances that this guy will be an upgrade over Dockery? I think zero. It would have been one thing to release Dockery if the plan was to go after Jason Brown, but that clearly was not the plan. I just don't understand why the Bills constantly create new holes when they have outstanding old holes to fill, particularly in a year that is weak in terms of available free agents. The Bills cannot fill all of these holes in the draft and will be lucky to get one starter for this season out of the draft. By the way, I don't think it looks good to potential free agents when you cut a guy like Dockery after two years. Finally, with limited funds available each year, missing on a guy like Dockery is devastating and leads to the departures described above. This money could have been spent elsewhere with better results.

In the last five years or so, the Bills have lost Clements, Winfield, Williams, Fletcher and now probably Greer. Through our efforts in free agency, we have failed to acquire players that perform at a high level. Drafting has been fair, but players like Whitner and Poz have not yet (and may not) become great players. All of the experts panned the picks of Whitner and McCargo and the overpayment to acquire Dockery. Seems that they were right.

We need a real football GM who can make decisions regarding free agency, the draft and coaching.