Dick's position on tight ends

kenny3000

Obviously a complete tight end would be the preference, but finding those on the open market and even in the draft is uncommon.

Buffalo would prefer a tight end that’s a strong blocker and can offer some big play ability. Finding it is another thing.

“We’ll look,” said Jauron. “We like our young guys. They are fairly well-rounded. I do believe they’ll all be efficient in our passing game, maybe more. But yeah, it’s hard to find a guy. The guys that are great pass catchers are often not strong on the other end.”

Ok, I'm trying here. But if it's so impossible to find that complete tight end who can stretch the field and really be effective/dominant in the passing game as well as be an effective/dominant blocker, wtf would you not just get one who can at least stretch the field and be dominant in the passing game?!?!

How can you try to get the perfect tight end who barely exists forever and never even take a chance on a tight end more in the mold of a receiver? Robert Royal was supposed to be a dominant blocker right? Did our running game take a quantum leap while he was here? Has any tight end really made a big difference in any team's running game? I doubt it, I mean I could be wrong, but I doubt it. But on the flip side, has a tight end with great pass catching ability made a big differnce to any team's passing game? Yes. Just think of all the tight ends who factor in the passing game - any tight end that doesn't play for buffalo. Why is this a$$ clown Jauron willing to hold out and say "we'll look" for that perfect tight end along with every other team in the NFL and CFL. What is your problem?!? Take a tight end who can help the biggest weakness of our offense - the passing game.

Am I completely off base here?

Obviously a complete tight end would be the preference, but finding those on the open market and even in the draft is uncommon.

Buffalo would prefer a tight end that’s a strong blocker and can offer some big play ability. Finding it is another thing.

“We’ll look,” said Jauron. “We like our young guys. They are fairly well-rounded. I do believe they’ll all be efficient in our passing game, maybe more. But yeah, it’s hard to find a guy. The guys that are great pass catchers are often not strong on the other end.”

Ok, I'm trying here. But if it's so impossible to find that complete tight end who can stretch the field and really be effective/dominant in the passing game as well as be an effective/dominant blocker, wtf would you not just get one who can at least stretch the field and be dominant in the passing game?!?!

How can you try to get the perfect tight end who barely exists forever and never even take a chance on a tight end more in the mold of a receiver? Robert Royal was supposed to be a dominant blocker right? Did our running game take a quantum leap while he was here? Has any tight end really made a big difference in any team's running game? I doubt it, I mean I could be wrong, but I doubt it. But on the flip side, has a tight end with great pass catching ability made a big differnce to any team's passing game? Yes. Just think of all the tight ends who factor in the passing game - any tight end that doesn't play for buffalo. Why is this a$$ clown Jauron willing to hold out and say "we'll look" for that perfect tight end along with every other team in the NFL and CFL. What is your problem?!? Take a tight end who can help the biggest weakness of our offense - the passing game.

It could be as simple as in our OL blows and they need someone who can block so TE and ML/FJ don't get blown up int he back field...which is more important that a TE who can catch and not block

When do you ever hear Jauron talk about wanting a dominant player at any position? "Efficient" is the type of word he likes to use for his players. Jauron will always be average because his entire mindset is that of reaching for mediocrity. The Bills need difference makers at a lot of positions, mostly at head coach.

No, it makes sense what you say. I'm pretty sure that they think that Derek Fine is going to pan out to be that pass catching TE who can also block, but we may see one picked up early in the draft, too.

The problem with just getting one who can catch, but not block, is that it takes the element of surprise out of having him take off down the seam. If we just swap our blocking TE with our receiving TE during the game, the defense will simply target the receiving TE as another receiver and cover him.