6'2''

Thoner7

I never really like to use measurables as a reason not to draft someone. I figured if they could get it done on the field the rest was iceing on the cake. But Everette Brown is only 6'2''. Just how short is too short to be effective as a DE? This is the 11th pick so we should expect to get a 3 down player not a situational guy. Does this mean we look at guys like Shaughnessy, Kruger, Johnson, Barwin, or Ayers in the second? It seems like such a small difference, but I couldnt think of many successful three down ends that play at that height.

I never really like to use measurables as a reason not to draft someone. I figured if they could get it done on the field the rest was iceing on the cake. But Everette Brown is only 6'2''. Just how short is too short to be effective as a DE? This is the 11th pick so we should expect to get a 3 down player not a situational guy. Does this mean we look at guys like Shaughnessy, Kruger, Johnson, Barwin, or Ayers in the second? It seems like such a small difference, but I couldnt think of many successful three down ends that play at that height.

I think being a short DE could be an advantage

more leverage

Good question.

What does he weigh? Dwight Freeney is a shade over 6'1" and his play speaks for itself. But he's built pretty thickly, 265-270 and has leverage/low center of gravity to make the turn.

I saw where Everette Brown was shorter than expected but I didn't see what his weight was. I think the weight has more to do with if he can play DE than the height.

The counterargument is the Colts' other end,

Robert Mathis is only 6'2" and about 245 and he's had two double sack seasons and is one of the better pass rushing DEs in the league.

Elvis Dumervil has played in 45 NFL games and has started 31 of those. He has 26 career sacks and is an excellent pass rusher. He is listed at 5'11" but weights 260 pounds. Like Freeney, Dumervil is short but quite powerful.

So in answer to your question, IMO height (or lack of it) does not immediately determine how effective a player might be.

a 6'2" de? only if he is proportioned like a young mike tyson. and as physically dominant.

Here's the links to heights/weights, and results of all the drills.

Everette Brown weighed in at 256 pounds, 14 pounds heavier than Aaron Schobel.

Schobel's official height has always been listed at 6'4".

Have to disagree with you Bucky, height is not an important consideration IMO.

I would say that if you have two players rated equally, then you take the taller one. So for me, height is only a tie-breaker.

I think the answer is "it depends". If his 6'2" stature is combined with an absolute bull rush that makes him capable of tossing aside tackles, then maybe, but height is very important for a DE, so it would have to be a very strong player to overcome lack of height.

I think the answer is "it depends". If his 6'2" stature is combined with an absolute bull rush that makes him capable of tossing aside tackles, then maybe, but height is very important for a DE, so it would have to be a very strong player to overcome lack of height.

or extremely athletic

I think being a short DE could be an advantage

more leverage

It also makes it harder for an O lineman to get under his pads.

My feeling about small DE's is that if they're very good or great at pass rushing that's a great skill to have on your team but I think a lot of them are one trick ponies. IMO, they are at a great disadvantage against the run. I think 6'4" to 6'6" is optimum for a DE. The taller they are the better it is as long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to handle shorter OL and make them too slow. I like big DE's because if he doesn't get the sack he can force the QB to throw away from his side or to lob the pass over his head which leads to more ints. JMO