Jared Cook

Jared Cook is a TE from South Carolina that just lit it up at the Combine. His vetical jump of 41 inches was higher than any player that attended the combine last year. He also is said to have great speed, 4.4 in the 40. He is 6-5, 240 pounds.

As for his production, he had 573 yards and 3 tds this year. Not great but not bad. Steve Spurrier has compared him to Calvin Johsnon.

Is he a guy the bills target in the 2nd.

I think this is just the guy the bills need. I realize that numbers don't mean everything, Vernon Davis being a perfect example. Cook however, is not a guy you draft in the top 10. If we can gamble on his ability after round 1 it could be worth the risk. His combination of speed and size could make him a star. I think the bills need to give the offense and Edwards every opportunity to succeed this year.

The other reason why Cook seems like such a good option, is the lack of talent in the free agent market. Owen Daniels is not going anywhere as a restricted free agent and Bo Scaife has just been franchised. To be honest, prior to the combine I knew nothing of Cook. Due to his performance at the combine, the nfl network on sirius radio has discussed him quite a bit. It seems like there is very little not to like. The only question now is where does he go?

This guy looks really good to me. Most of his negatives can be corrected with good coaching, IMO. Also was a WR and BB player before. Two things that are very good to have on your Resume if you're a TE prospect.

Jared Cook, TE

* Height: 6'5"

* Weight: 246

* College: South Carolina

* Conference: SEC

* Hometown: Suwanee, GA

* High School: North Gwinnett HS

Overview

Blessed with the combination of size and speed that led Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier to compare him to Detroit Lions star Calvin Johnson, Cook has the tools every scouting director is looking for in the new prototype NFL tight end. Despite less than eye-popping statistics (37 receptions for 573 yards and three touchdowns), Cook was nonetheless recognized by SEC coaches as a first-team all-conference selection in 2008 - perhaps due to his potential as a nightmare matchup for defenses. With steadier quarterback play by the Gamecocks, many believe Cook could have enjoyed a truly breakout performance. If he works out as well at the NFL Combine as he reportedly did for South Carolina coaches, the redshirt junior won't have to wait long to hear his name called on draft day. Had an arm span of 35 3/4 inches and a hand span of 10 1/4 inches at the combine.

High School

Graduated from North Gwinnett High School in 2005, where he played receiver and free safety for Coach Kyle Richardson... Caught 32 passes for 800 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior...First-team all-conference, all-state and Super 11 Team selection by The Atlanta Journal Constitution... Rated the 24th-best player in the state of Georgia and the 40th-best wide receiver in the country by Rivals.com...Played basketball and was regarded as one of the top hoopsters in the state.

Analysis

Positives: Rare athlete. Reportedly ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash and posted a 39.5-inch vertical leap in 2007. Long, lanky build capable of handling additional mass without a significant loss of quickness. Good burst off the line of scrimmage to challenge the seam and can throttle down, sink his hips and create separation against even athletic defenders. Flashes natural hands for the reception. Can snatch passes outside of his frame due to his long arms and big hands. Good elusiveness after the catch and can accelerate past defenders for long gains. Good burst off the snap to get to the second level. Has the lateral agility to mirror and effectively block defenders in space.

Negatives: Not necessarily the sum of his parts. Often lined up wide in the Gamecocks' offense and may struggle to acclimate to a more pro-style offense. Relies on his athleticism rather than technique to get off the line of scrimmage. Tends to freelance a bit as a route-runner. Can make the spectacular catch, but is prone to lapses in concentration. Marginal effort and effectiveness as a blocker, especially in close quarters.

Right, but I dont think anyone here is advocating take him at #11 (at least I hope not).

2nd rounder, sure.

ok

let me ask you this. Would you take Vernon Davis in the second round? For sure you would of. You can't tell me that you are not experiencing scouting combine day euphoria. WHiich is what many GM's and talent evaluators experience after seeing a impressive combine day.

Vernon davis ran faster than cook, higher vertical, bench pressed more.

What is it about cook that makes you want to draft him "for sure" in the second round?

I am not questioning you, because I havn't seen him play. So I really can not comment on him. I mean I know it wasn't his production that impressed you because it wasn't really that amazing.

So other than his impressive combine, has anyone seen him play? and do you believe his play was impressive?

There is no doubt that he athletic attributes are amazing. I just question if he is a football player.

Look at Vernon Davis, he ran a 4.38

where is he now?

Cook's biggest problem was the qb position at SC. I'm from SC and his ability is legit. With no running game and an unsettled qb situation his numbers are hurting some, but If he's around I hope they take him.