Happy 49th birthday Jimbo!

;)

Jimbo - my all time favorite Buffalo Bill, and the best quarterback in Bills history. If this crazy franchise ever wins a SB, Jim should get an honorary ring from that team. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM.

What a terrific example for any current and future Buffalo Bills player. Kelly started out cocky and too good to sign with the horrible Bills team playing in the horrible cold weather city. But With some luck (USFL folding) and a future Hall of Fame-worthy young GM doing some great convincing and hard-line "I will never trade your rights" negotiating (Bill Polian) Kelly came to Buffalo eventually anyway. The rest is of course history, with him still living in Orchard Park now 12 years after retiring as Buffalo Bill. He can relate to cocky "superstars" who won't want to play here, and then set them straight on how awesome a community Buffalo is, and how great it was for him to play only for the Bills.

I remember all the rumors when Jim was ready to come to the NFL. Kelly will never play for Buffalo, the Raiders or Rams will trade for him. Blah blah blah. It may have happened exactly that way, if Polian would not have been beginning his career as Bills GM. I read that Polian immediately started out demanding every office worker and Bills employee start taking pride in the Buffalo Bills organization. He relayed that pride and excitement to Kelly & his agent and began the rise of the Buffalo Bills before the 1986 season by signing Jim.

Come to think of it, that passion and desire to begin winning that Polian passed on to Kelly is exactly what is missing today at One Bills Drive. The Inner Circle-jerks don't have a pinkie fingers' worth of pride and excitement about the organization they represent that Polian had the day he was hired in late 1985! I have no idea what was missing from those 3 straight SB teams Kelly & Polian were together for in the early 90's. But it's just a damn shame Polian and Kelly could not win at least one of them, for themselves and all of us.