Your Tax Dollars at Work!

Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given for the establishment of theDEPARTMENT OF ENERGY ..... during the Carter Administration?

* Anybody?

* Anything?

* No?

* ... Didn't think so.

Bottom line . . we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency ... the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember.

Ready?

* It was very simple and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted 8-04-1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

... HEY, PRETTY EFFICIENT, HUH?

AND NOW IT'S 2008, 31 YEARS LATER ... AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS NECESSARY DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR

* THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES

* AND LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE!

THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?'

* Ah yes, good ole bureaucracy.

* And now we are going to turn the Banking System & the Auto Industry over to them?

* God Help us.

There is a reason why we "are turning it over to them." The private-sector can't be trusted, if 1929 and 2008 is not enough evidence. Knock the gov't all you want, even with their abysmal level of providing trust... One can at least trust them more.

Sure "mommy and daddy" (gov't) may be slightly better with regards to this trust... But, this is the private-sector's own doing.

Words of advice... Don't be greedy and phuck up next time and mommy and daddy won't have to intervene.

Here is a little diddy I threw togeteher especially for you... Kick it!

You work all day to pay your taxes - man you don't wanna pay

You ask your gov't, "Please?" - but it still says, "Don't delay!"

You owe the IRS 50k - and you're still getting a big tax break

But the gov't preaches like you're some kind of fake

You gotta fight for your right to privatize

The banking regulators caught onto your scheme - and they said, "No way!"

Those hypocrites - make two mill a day

Man, living in the US is such a drag

Now your gov't wants to take away your biggest money bags (Bust it!)

Don't do business in this country if that's how you are gonna act

We'll kick you out of this land if you don't pay the PAC

The Feds busted in and said, "What's that noise?"

Aw, Feds you're just jealous - it's the Privatizing Boys!

;)

The private sector crashes... but it has tremendous growth that far outpaces the recessions. I would put my trust in capitalism long before i would put it in our bureaucracy.

Of course I agree, still doesn't call for absentee parenting... They (pirvate sector) are a child only a parent could love, understand, and help... Just like the youth out there or every child of a baby-boomer:

...I was gambling in Havana

I took a little risk

Send lawyers, guns and money

Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander

Somehow I got stuck

Between the rock and the hard place

And I'm down on my luck

And I'm down on my luck

And I'm down on my luck...

The private sector crashes... but it has tremendous growth that far outpaces the recessions. I would put my trust in capitalism long before i would put it in our bureaucracy.

Even counting the recent crash, your 401k returns are still ahead of your social security returns over just about every 10+ year interval you would wish to measure. (Note that SS is 'progressive.' The interest they pay you on your contributions is higher, at maybe 4%, if you are poor, and zero or negative if you are near the maximal contributions.)

That assumes, of course, that you will still be able to draw out your social security payments at all in 15 years.

That assumes, of course, that you will still be able to draw out your social security payments at all in 15 years.

What about the 30+ years I have to wait?

As bad as my 401k looks the last year or so, I still have more faith in that than I do in ever seeing a dime in return for all those Social Security taxes I've paid

I'm missing the point of the Guns and Roses poetry thing.... Throwing good (tax) money after bad is yesterdays solution and speaks to a stalled intellect.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

There is a reason why we "are turning it over to them." The private-sector can't be trusted, if 1929 and 2008 is not enough evidence. Knock the gov't all you want, even with their abysmal level of providing trust... One can at least trust them more.

Sure "mommy and daddy" (gov't) may be slightly better with regards to this trust... But, this is the private-sector's own doing.

Words of advice... Don't be greedy and phuck up next time and mommy and daddy won't have to intervene.

My wife just went on maternity leave. She prosecutes child abuse for NYC. To process all the forms etc. for her maternity leave, NYC verifies that all required forms are on file. Apparently, she never filed a proper change of address form. The citry let her know by sending the entire package of forms to our current address. Arer you f----- kidding me??? The person could not simply pick up the phone and verify her current address (which was filed on several forms, she just missed one). Good ghawd, these people need a private ssector job where they are actually held accountable for what happens.

My wife just went on maternity leave. She prosecutes child abuse for NYC. To process all the forms etc. for her maternity leave, NYC verifies that all required forms are on file. Apparently, she never filed a proper change of address form. The citry let her know by sending the entire package of forms to our current address. Arer you f----- kidding me??? The person could not simply pick up the phone and verify her current address (which was filed on several forms, she just missed one). Good ghawd, these people need a private ssector job where they are actually held accountable for what happens.

I understand... You will get that in the civil service. You should hear some old-timers over where I work when a tow boat (calls on the VHF-FM marine band radio) can't give the proper commodity codes... I just roll my eyes in disbelief that some of my fellow co-workers can't just look it up for the captain... It almost becomes like a game show. The worst part is the whole freaking world can be listening in on channel 16, working channel 14.

The post office doesn't have the market cornered with dumbasses!

<_<