Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor...who was better?

Big Turk

Bruce Smith vs. Lawrence Taylor  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better player?

• Bruce Smith
    • Lawrence Taylor

Who cares who is better! They were both great ball players and one was an end and one a linebacker. Cant we have better posts than this?

Um, who cares, you ask? Tell me, oh Godlike one, what was the original post about? Was it not, um, who was better, Bruce or LT?

Oh, yeah, it was. So your post refers to ....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Hutson is a very legit choice for greatest WR of all time. He was so far above other WRs of his era it just makes you laugh. I know most of you young guys have never heard of him, but Jerry Rice is NOT the unanimous choice as greatest WR. Though he certainly IS the greatest WR of the modern era.

People do not give Hutson enough credit because he played too long ago. I would also put Hutson ahead of Rice.

And again, for all you folks under 25, Johnny Unitas is considered by many to be the best QB in NFL history.

IMO, Unitas is #2 behind Graham, but I have already beaten that to death on this board.

There is one position where you can't debate who the best is. And that's running back. Jim Brown is the greatest running back in history, and virtually nobody denies this. In a defense-oriented era without all the help the rules give offenses these days, in the days when horse collars, clothes-lines and face masks weren't just not penalized, they were encouraged, Jim Brown put together the most impressive yards per carry stat ever, right up to this day. The battle is for second place. Brown is #1.

Yup.

Oh, I'm with you. The arguments that it isn't even close, one way or the other, are absurd, IMO. I think it's LT, decisively...but close...like a 1/2 horse lead, at the finish. Like a fighter than wins 8 or 12 rounds, but most of the rounds are close.

I would say a full length, but that's an outstanding analogy. I may have to start using it.

Lawrence Taylor will be on Dancing with the Stars and the blurb about him is:

"Taylor is widely considered the best defensive player in the history of the National Football League"

That got me thinking...who was better, Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor? I know both play different positions, but both changed the way teams had to gameplan around them, and usually were double or even triple teamed to no avail. Just would like some other thoughts...of course being a homer I will say I think Bruce was better because he a more complete player against the run and rushed the passer from a disadvantageous position of a 3-4 DE versus Taylor who rushed the passer from the "sacking" position of OLB in the 3-4...

Obviously both were tremendous players, but my vote goes to Bruce...

Read the book Blind Side-Evolution of the Game, Michael Lewis. The left tackle as we know it today was created because of the the chaos that LT created.