If Buffalo were warm year round...

Even if Buffalo had the weather of say Washington DC it would be a very popular place to live. Geographically it has a lot to offer with the lakes and all the outdoor activities. With an extra 2-3 mos a year to enjoy the lakes that would be huge. The Sun Belt has seen huge growth for a reason.....it is warm and it is easier to live in warm weather.

I personally think it is really the longevity of the winter and cold weather. We will have snow thru April and this winter November was terrible so that is a long time to deal with this. If you could consistently count on 50 degree days in March like in DC and mid Atlantic that makes things very tolerable. I think it really would be a very desirable place and would probably triple the population if we had better weather.......or cut the drastic winter by two-thirds.

Even if Buffalo had the weather of say Washington DC it would be a very popular place to live. Geographically it has a lot to offer with the lakes and all the outdoor activities. With an extra 2-3 mos a year to enjoy the lakes that would be huge. The Sun Belt has seen huge growth for a reason.....it is warm and it is easier to live in warm weather.

I personally think it is really the longevity of the winter and cold weather. We will have snow thru April and this winter November was terrible so that is a long time to deal with this. If you could consistently count on 50 degree days in March like in DC and mid Atlantic that makes things very tolerable. I think it really would be a very desirable place and would probably triple the population if we had better weather.......or cut the drastic winter by two-thirds.

So true. The boating/water season is so, so truncated... Even in Chicago you can count on the 50 degree days in March and here the boating/water season really can be stretched from mid-March to October... Even November during warm years... I have had boats still going through (from the lake) as late as Christmas and going out as early as now (early Feb.)... And that is just to go bass fishing. As everything in BFLO, things always hurt it for the betterment of others... Just take the ice-boom... Things are breaking with this little warm spell in Chicago... Phuck, if this winter hangs on longer... It may be forever to get the boom out.

So true. The boating/water season is so, so truncated... Even in Chicago you can count on the 50 degree days in March and here the boating/water season really can be stretched from mid-March to October... Even November during warm years... I have had boats still going through (from the lake) as late as Christmas and going out as early as now (early Feb.)... And that is just to go bass fishing. As everything in BFLO, things always hurt it for the betterment of others... Just take the ice-boom... Things are breaking with this little warm spell in Chicago... Phuck, if this winter hangs on longer... It may be forever to get the boom out.

ge i wish Buffalo were warm like Chicago..those poor Buffalo people missing out

ge i wish Buffalo were warm like Chicago..those poor Buffalo people missing out

Really. Laugh if you want. BFLO IS WARMER than Chicago in the winter and colder in the summer... How more ideal can you get? It is a very tempered climate... Just like DET.

Yet, hear me out... There is a big difference when you factor in all real world, practical elements. BFLO is SEVERELY handicapped by this MICRO-CLIMATE. Note, I said micro-climate.

It better warm fast and stay warm becuase that ice-boom only comes out when mother nature melts a certain % of the eastern basin melts through the air... Not the natural way by breaking up and heading down the Niagara. Who knows, the latest we may be talking can be late April or May... Freaking APRIL or MAY... WTF? The number one assets to the city (the lake and river) and they are logged jammed with ice till the warm weather does it naturally and slowly with not a lot of help from the river. WTF? It was 65 yesterday at work and the river here is choked with 18" of ice (broken up by the shipping)... It is allowed to flow down river now where it quickly abates and disappears. The engineers can tell you the boom has no effect on BFLO weather, IMO I say bull... Just standing next to the chunks of ice yesterday and today as I let it go down the river you can feel the temp drop a ton when the breeze blows over it.

BFLO is like living next to a refrig. Funny thing is, once Erie freezes, it shuts off the lake enhancement... You will get LE more in Nov. and Dec. in BFLO... Now, in Chicago I noticed we get more of that in Feb. or March (most due to being winward of Lake Michigan) because the lake never freezes fully.

BFLO is already handicapped, that is my point... We don't need engineers handicapping it any worse... Even if it is for the betterment of other (the power intakes at the falls and the homes on Grand Island).

/rant

Really. Laugh if you want. BFLO IS WARMER than Chicago in the winter and colder in the summer... How more ideal can you get? It is a very tempered climate... Just like DET.

Yet, hear me out... There is a big difference when you factor in all real world, practical elements. BFLO is SEVERELY handicapped by this MICRO-CLIMATE. Note, I said micro-climate.

It better warm fast and stay warm becuase that ice-boom only comes out when mother nature melts a certain % of the eastern basin melts through the air... Not the natural way by breaking up and heading down the Niagara. Who knows, the latest we may be talking can be late April or May... Freaking APRIL or MAY... WTF? The number one assets to the city (the lake and river) and they are logged jammed with ice till the warm weather does it naturally and slowly with not a lot of help from the river. WTF? It was 65 yesterday at work and the river here is choked with 18" of ice (broken up by the shipping)... It is allowed to flow down river now where it quickly abates and disappears. The engineers can tell you the boom has no effect on BFLO weather, IMO I say bull... Just standing next to the chunks of ice yesterday and today as I let it go down the river you can feel the temp drop a ton when the breeze blows over it.

BFLO is like living next to a refrig. Funny thing is, once Erie freezes, it shuts off the lake enhancement... You will get LE more in Nov. and Dec. in BFLO... Now, in Chicago I noticed we get more of that in Feb. or March (most due to being winward of Lake Michigan) because the lake never freezes fully.

BFLO is already handicapped, that is my point... We don't need engineers handicapping it any worse... Even if it is for the betterment of other (the power intakes at the falls and the homes on Grand Island).

/rant

interesting stuff....makes sense

it's warm all year round here in Habana Norte, and it sucks. The weather is so monotonous that I look forward to things like rain and fog just for a change up. We just had a couple of days of cold weather and people were sh!tting themselves waiting for the 'warm-up'. Me, I was loving it.

/rant

Interesting you say that & I tend to agree. In late march/early to mid april I will work downtown & will need a jacket. Go home at night in lancaster & your comfortable in just a tee shirt & jeans. At least a 10-15 degree difference from being on the lake to 10 miles away from the lake.

Interesting you say that & I tend to agree. In late march/early to mid april I will work downtown & will need a jacket. Go home at night in lancaster & your comfortable in just a tee shirt & jeans. At least a 10-15 degree difference from being on the lake to 10 miles away from the lake.

Growing season for BFLO's micro-climate is almost a month later getting started than if you went 40 miles inland to say Batavia. Of course you may get that back come fall... But then the region is getting blasts of cold air over the warm lake and the "snow machine" can start... Of course the boom isn't the only problem, the whole fetch of the lake is in the same direction of the pervailing winds... But, the boom can't help by holding the ice back till mother nature warms and melts it slowly so it can then be released down the river... The engineers say different... That it doesn't matter... Why not just let the ice cascade down the river then and find out? That would be disasterous to the intakes and the people on Grand Island...

There should be a happy medium then just letting it sit there and slowly release... Why not speed the process up somehow with cutters, then slowly release the ice? Of course floating timbers chained together is the cheapest! :):)

Funny thing is, I betcha the early settlers and natives knew better than hang around the area where present BFLO is located at the head of the Niagara... Notice that all the early settlements were quite a ways inland... Of course there are ton of other factors too... Even here in the midwest... The Pottawanami had enough common sense to head south from the Green Bay region and over-winter near what is present day Chicago... :P;)

Strange how weather always played a vital role in a growth of regions. No strange conincidence that the "Chicago portage" is where it is... There were other routes that were proposed which lie in the snowbelt region of Indiana/Michigan.

IMO, BFLO is screwed weatherwise... There is only one thing to do and that it love it for what it is worth. ;);)