Jackson Article

Numark

I say get rid of him and go with Marshawn as your main man. San Diego let go of that second string guy last year.... forgot his name ,and we haven't heard from him since. Having two WAY above average runningbacks is a luxury that we can't afford.

And with the first pick in the 2010 NFL DRAFT the Buffalo Bills select...........................

You referring to Michael Turner?? The guy who ran for 1699 yards and 17 TD's with Atlanta?

Pricing Fred Jackson is a bit tough. The USA Today Database, which is a great resource doesn't however list average compensation over the length of the contract. On top of that there are things like "likely to be reached" and "unlikely to be reached" bonuses and the fact that signing bonuses are generally guaranteed but salaries are not, etc.

Keep in mind also that many of these highly drafted running backs on their rookie contracts (Peterson, Mendenhall) will make considerably more on their 2nd contracts. That's why guys like Edgerrin James and Deuce McAllister are among the most highly paid RBs and rookie stars like Matt Forte are not.

So looking at their database, there's lot of information that we don't have so it's not as simple as, for instance, looking at real estate "comparables."

Another factor is that Freddie, in my view, is not a chump number two running back but more of a 1B type, someone who can pinch hit (such as in week 17) and do it very well. Like someone mentioned earlier, he's very similar in value to Kenneth Davis was. I would say he deserves to be paid at around the level of the 40th best running back in the NFL.

That being said here's some relevant numbers:

$460,000: The amount the Bills would have to pay him to retain his rights.

$2 million: The total compensation for the 40th highest paid running back in the league (Michael Bennett, TB Bucs). Mewelde Moore and Lamont Jordan also make in this range.

$2.1 million: Jonathan Stewart, rookie 1st round pick of the Carolina Panthers

$2.35 million: Ladell Betts, considered one of the better backup running backs

$2.65 million: Marshawn Lynch

$3.0 million: Kevin Faulk, steady veteran who does everything well and nothing spectacular

$3.1 million: Chester Taylor, considered one of the better backup running backs

$6.6 million: 2009 NFL Franchise Tag amount

Here's that link again: http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...aspx?Loc=Vanity

Seems like a 3 year, $6-6.5 million deal with $4.5 million guaranteed would be fair.

The way it works is when teams take a chance on players who are not "draft worthy" is they are putting in money in order to preserve rights of gems later on. Fred Jackson needs to make decision whether he wants guaranteed money NOW or take the money paid as a exclusive free agent and hope his star is still shining after he is a free agent.

Of course he could do the Jason Peters thing, hold his breath until he turns blue and spend half the season out of shape.

Let him go......back up RB's are a dime a dozen.

Even if you believe what you say, they couldn't get a marginal backup RB for what they can get Fred for, as they only HAVE to pay him $460,000. So, letting him go would be just flat-out stupid.

Of course, I believe you were joking.

I know it's stupid to compare elite pro athletes and entertainers compensation to their average fans' compensation. I fully understand how hard it is and the odds you have to beat to get even into Freddy Jacksons' position, and he certainly deserves every penny he earns from the NFL.

But, even if the Bills take advantage of their selfish cheap loop holes and only pay the guy the minimum they can get away with this year and next, he will still have an average of $505,000.00 per year to "take care of his family."

Despite how elite these athletes are, I really resent them always playing the "I have to take care of my family" card. That's when I feel compelled to compare them to the rest of us fans, who also have to "take care of our families", earning, if we are really fortunate, 10% the amounts, or in most cases less then that, of what Fred Jackson is complaining about earning.

At least I don't hear that tired arrogant chant from most of the entertainers we love to watch. I never heard Tom Cruise tell People magazine he won't do a film for less then $20 Million because he has to "take care of his family."

Even Jackson admited he earned $200.00 a week gross before he worked his butt off and took the long road to the NFL. Now, after his first break out season as an elite back-up running back, he needs to earn more for his family. I sure hope Freddy would still feel responsible for taking care of his family if he was still earning $200.00 a week! I would admire the guy more if he just came out and said he wants to get paid better just because he deserves it based on his production.

We all know that if the last guy on the bench can keep his special teams spot on any team in the NFL for the average 4 years, his family will be taken care of just fine and dandy for the next 10 - 20 years, depending on how smart they are with their money and tax planning. :wallbash:

Have to disagree with you VJ91.

Elite athletes are pretty different from other big time entertainers.

Take movie starts for instance. The top stars typically make over $20 million...for one movie. Now granted not all movie stars make that much per movie but their compensation generally is quite a bit higher than football players.

The top television stars make anywhere from $150,000-$300,000 per episode for a 20-25 episode season. So that's $3 to 7.5 million per year.

Network news anchors make $10 to 20 million (Katie Couric).

There are many, many "media and show biz stars" that make more than NFL football players.

The 2008 median income for an NFL football player is $931,200.

It's even more important to understand that entertainment stars can have careers spanning decades (ie-Movie Star: Paul Newman or even Tom Cruise who's been making movies for 27 freakin' years, Susan Lucci who's been Erica Kane for 39 years, or Tom Brokaw who anchored the NBC Nightly News for 24 years and retired relatively young, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones have been making millions since 1962).

The average NFL career lasts about 3.5 years according to the NFL.

So not only do NFL players make a lot less than highly paid entertainers in other industries, their careers are also much shorter.

And finally, and this is the most imortant thing: Professional football players risk, death, serious injury, and the likelihood of long term chronic and debilitating medical conditions.

Hall of Fame Center Jim Otto has two knee replacements. So does the "glamorous" ex-QB Joe Namath. They're practically cripples.

Early last year Peyton Manning had his bursa sac removed from his knee. Look up bursa sac and ask yourself how likely it'll be that Manning has a knee replacement someday. Likely I would guess.

Some of you will undoubtedly say "big deal, my Dad has a knee replacement." Okay fine. How about Kevin Everett, Darryl Stingley, Mike Utley and those who have been crippled playing professional football?

Or people like Andre Waters, Terry Long or John Grimsley who all committed suicide linked to acute depression caused by multiple brain trauma injuries from their NFL careers.

These NFL players lay it on the line ever time they lace up the cleats. For what they do and how short their careers are I don't think they're overpaid at all. Sometimes I'm watching a game and I think to myself, "I can't believe there's not a serious injury on every play." If you've ever taken physics and you see how big and fast these guys are, what they put their bodies through is incredible. Their bodies get trashed, they risk serious injury, and long term medical conditions.

Would most of us trade places with them if we could? I believe most of us would (even though it's as much a question of mental toughness as physical ability). But that doesn't change the fact that they are definitely not overpaid. I believe if any of us did what they did we would be more likely to consider NFL players underpaid.

Have to disagree with you VJ91.

Elite athletes are pretty different from other big time entertainers.......

You didn't disagree with me, San Jose. In fact, you missed my entire point. I never said entertainers made the same amount as athletes. I never said I thought either were overpaid. I never said pro sports were not dangerous. I never said I did not respect or admire the current or former pro athletes who have had major surgeries, nor did I say I did not feel terrible about the former football players that have been paralyzed, forced to retire, or have committed suicide.

I did said I hate when pro athletes tell media and fans that they need to "take care of their families", when talking about earning the most money they possibly can. I also said I would respect Freddy more if he just said he deserves to earn more money then the minimum the Bills can get away with paying him, based on his excellent play and production. I just want these guys to leave out the "I have my family to take care of" line, that's all. We all have our families to take care of, and I don't care if we earn more or less then Fred Jackson, we wake up every morning knowing we have families to take care of.

This is the type of guy the Bills need and should want on the team. A great back-up who could start in this league but plays many roles on the team. He is a team player and will work hard for the team, unselfish, and most importantly is a great player you can get for a reasonable dollar figure for the next 4 years. The Bills do not break the bank at all for giving the guy 2-3M a year for 4 years. Who was more usful for the Bills last year F Jackson, Kelsay, Schobel or Dockery? Certianly the Bills can pay the guy for all his contribuations to the offense and ST.

You didn't disagree with me, San Jose. In fact, you missed my entire point. I never said entertainers made the same amount as athletes. I never said I thought either were overpaid. I never said pro sports were not dangerous. I never said I did not respect or admire the current or former pro athletes who have had major surgeries, nor did I say I did not feel terrible about the former football players that have been paralyzed, forced to retire, or have committed suicide.

I did said I hate when pro athletes tell media and fans that they need to "take care of their families", when talking about earning the most money they possibly can. I also said I would respect Freddy more if he just said he deserves to earn more money then the minimum the Bills can get away with paying him, based on his excellent play and production. I just want these guys to leave out the "I have my family to take care of" line, that's all. We all have our families to take care of, and I don't care if we earn more or less then Fred Jackson, we wake up every morning knowing we have families to take care of.

Sorry VJ, I guess in my early morning fog I just skimmed your post and it was directed into my "NFL Players are spoiled" bin. I just re-read your post and it's now clear to me what you were saying.

I don't really mind Freddie saying "I have to take care of my family." I think it's a legit way to think/feel.

The one that really gets me is the "It's not about the money" nonsense that you hear all the time. The great majority of the time, money is the only thing it's about.

Anyways, sorry for not being fully awake when I read and replied to your post.

The way it works is when teams take a chance on players who are not "draft worthy" is they are putting in money in order to preserve rights of gems later on. Fred Jackson needs to make decision whether he wants guaranteed money NOW or take the money paid as a exclusive free agent and hope his star is still shining after he is a free agent.

Of course he could do the Jason Peters thing, hold his breath until he turns blue and spend half the season out of shape.

The guys gonna be over 30 by the time he can hit UFA. No one is paying big $ to an over 30 RB. He's a decent RB, so pay the man some bucks. Nothing gets accomplished by screwing Fred over and making him sit through 3 more years of RFA. Plus it send a bad message to others that the Bills aren't willing to pay people their worth.

3-4 years, 9-12 million with 5 guaranteed seems about right.

Jackson has proved to be a good player who can be trusted in a pinch. That alone should earn him a multi-year contract. He's not going to command anything crazy. We could probably get him for 3-4 years and $2.5 million. That's not a crazy number and I doubt you'd hear him complain about it.