Unemployment is getting worse

Lets be concerned about the federal debt and not give money away to scoflaws.... oh, we already did to the banks and that didn't really help and they are refusing to reveal how they used the money. Can you say Madoff et al.. a growing list.

Cali just hit 9.3%, this can't be good... What, this is 9.3% of what 32 million almost 3 million people and those are the ones you can count. I would be interested in know your state's unemployment numbers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stor...19/daily40.html

Also Catepiller and Home Depot just announced large layoffs. Financial firms on Wall Street are laying folks off in droves, expect more in the next 6 months.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009...nterstitialskip

What to do... this is flat out scary.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be concerned about the federal debt and not give money away to scoflaws.... oh, we already did to the banks and that didn't really help and they are refusing to reveal how they used the money. Can you say Madoff et al.. a growing list.

Cali just hit 9.3%, this can't be good... What, this is 9.3% of what 32 million almost 3 million people and those are the ones you can count. I would be interested in know your state's unemployment numbers.

Also Catepiller and Home Depot just announced large layoffs. Financial firms on Wall Street are laying folks off in droves, expect more in the next 6 months.

Seeing congress about to saddle us, in one fell swoop and as their opening salvo, with more debt than the entire Iraq War is hardly going to inspire confidence even among healthy companies. Not when economists and the CBO are luke-warm at best on when and if it will have a positive impact on the economy.

It's time to batten down the hatches.

Unemployment is getting worse and the democrats are only worried about packing the economic recovery plan with earmarks and entitlements to the individuals and corporations that helped get them elected. The middle class be damned.

I figured I would be one sided to get some discussion, but if I was going to criticize my side, I would have said the same thing. Agree completely, they both are infuriating.

I figured I would be one sided to get some discussion, but if I was going to criticize my side, I would have said the same thing. Agree completely, they both are infuriating.

Citizens from both sides of the aisle need to stand up to this pork disguised as beef that they're trying to push through.

There's nothing the gov't can do at the moment. As the CEO of my firm said a while ago, there is still more blood that needs to flow.

There's nothing the gov't can do at the moment. As the CEO of my firm said a while ago, there is still more blood that needs to flow.

I agree. So the choices are:

a) give free money to people who aren't working ("the dole") so they can live until things pick up and they can work again. this breeds dependence and is downright depressing for most people, who want to work.

b) give free money to companies and trust they'll do the right thing, i.e. hire people (hahahahahahahahahaha)

c) spend freely on projects which do something we need anyway, rebuilding crumbling infrastructures etc...thus putting some people to work and greasing the economic skids, at least a bit, while improving the country

d) ?

e) ?

We're in somewhat uncharted waters here. We know where we don't want to go...we're not sure how to avoid it and get back to where we want to be. And of course, being Americans, we're not particularly patient. Like the dotcom bust, this grew over a number of years before it blew up in our faces. Yet, we want it fixed within 6 months. Ain't gonna happen.

c) spend freely on projects which do something we need anyway, rebuilding crumbling infrastructures etc...thus putting some people to work and greasing the economic skids, at least a bit, while improving the country...

You forgot the rest... while ignoring the economic problems it causes for the future.

You forgot the rest... while ignoring the economic problems it causes for the future.

What? How can rebuilding the Nation's infrastructure and employing hundreds of thousands cause future economic problems? Bridges, roads, public works...these create jobs in US-exclusive industries using a US workforce.

What? How can rebuilding the Nation's infrastructure and employing hundreds of thousands cause future economic problems? Bridges, roads, public works...these create jobs in US-exclusive industries using a US workforce.

Paid for with US dollars when we are broke.

Here's an idea - let's all pay each other to paint each other's houses! We'll all be rich!

Buy now pay later

Isn't that what got us into the mess to begin with?

We've been digging ourselves deeper and deeper the last couple decades. Now the govt wants to get us out of the hole by digging with a backhoe instead of a shovel

Here's an idea - let's all pay each other to paint each other's houses! We'll all be rich!

While I disagree with the basic premise that the government 'should do something', the fact that they are going to spend our money is a given. Plenty has already been spent and indications are that 2xplenty more will be. However, I argue that if they are going to spend it anyway, might as well undertake this fiscal policy change and spend on infrastructure.

We've heard for years, from Nancy Pelosi, et. al., that once the Dem's were in control of the Legislative and the Executive branches of government, things would change for the better.

They are, it hasn't...why not?

What's the objective--fix things, or bipartisanship?

Let's go Nancy, drive those spurs in, pass those bills, give away that $! Harry, whup them Sen's into shape and pass stuff along to the President!

Oh, maybe not ALL Dem's see things the same way?

What's more important, developing, passing and implementing efficient and effective legislation, or quietly building political ties to maintain control of power?

I'm sorry, I withdraw that last question....

Stupid argument. You are already paying. Why not use that money to pay people who are out of work to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure, investing in your country and it's citizens. Just rebuilding bridges alone would employ construction, trucking, steel/iron, engineers. You create jobs when you invest in public works, and you end up getting that money back in the future. Public works projects create jobs in US-based industries using US workers. Some of you people see that as throwing money away. I see that as investing in your own country.

Stupid argument. You are already paying. Why not use that money to pay people who are out of work to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure, investing in your country and it's citizens. Just rebuilding bridges alone would employ construction, trucking, steel/iron, engineers. You create jobs when you invest in public works, and you end up getting that money back in the future. Public works projects create jobs in US-based industries using US workers. Some of you people see that as throwing money away. I see that as investing in your own country.

Only African Americans according to Rangel.