Favorite Song?

Well, I've agonized for two days on this topic, as the question of one's "favorite song" shouldn't be taken lightly. I have tons of music spanning decades, so to pick one song out of hundreds of thousands is quite a task. A person's favorite song should evoke the same feelings from that person no matter how many times one hears it. Whatever lyrical hook, guitar riff, chorus, beat, bridge that made you smile the first time you heard it, made you want to go out and spend any amount of money just to own it, should elicit the same response every single time it hits your ears.

That song for me is

. Never recorded for a studio album and only played live, showing up as the opening track of the Night of the Living Dead Boys "live" album, Detention Home nails me every single time I hear it. Cheetah Chrome's opening riff and leads, Zero's rhythm guitar, Stiv's tortured vocals of loneliness and abandonment, the part where the band drops out after the bridge for Stiv to say "life ain't so easy in the detention home," the chaos of the ending, everything about that song just hits you right in the chest. I'm glad that this was never recorded in the studio because a song with that much emotion, pain, and intensity behind it should only be played live at night in a trashy dive bar, drunk and barely holding it together, not caring when or how you would end up at home or in what condition. What a great song by a great band.

I didn't think it was up on youtube, and lo and behold Johnny Blitz, the Dead Boys' drummer uploaded a vid of it just last week.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right you are my friend, right you are. Party at the Moontower, everyone's gonna be there, you should come.

Yeah, well, listen. You ought to ditch the two geeks you're in the car with now and get in with us. But that's all right, we'll worry about that later. I will see you there. All right?

Yeah, well, listen. You ought to ditch the two geeks you're in the car with now and get in with us. But that's all right, we'll worry about that later. I will see you there. All right?

Yeah ok, we'll be there.

I loveee those redheads.