DE is Weak in FA, so go DE

Astrobot

The Bills are in a great spot at #11 in the 2009 Draft, only 91 Days away for those counting. If they look at the available free agents, they will notice that the weak spot is DE. There are some good experienced Tight Ends on the Free Agent market, which I believe sways the Bills to look at Defensive End with their First Rounder.

The Bills can hope to get Texas DE Brian Orakpo there, but he'd have to get past Cincinnati and Oakland at 6 and 7. Cincinnati's needs almost replicate ours in this draft, and they could be an annoyance all day. One hopes they trade down and/or take RB Knowshon Moreno with their first pick.

If Orakpo is gone, Tyson Jackson of LSU would be attractive, but I wouldn't want him as early as 11. It's usually hard finding a trade partner, but Minnesota needs a QB, and at #11 they could leapfrog the Jets and take Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez. Minnesota picks at #22. A drop from #11 to #22 nets the Bills a player like DE's Jackson, Paul Kruger from Utah or Michael Johnson from Georgia, as well as a second round pick. I ran this through the www.DraftTek.com Simulator, and we took Kruger at #22, followed by TE Chase Coffman at #42 and OC Alex Mack at #54.

The Bills are in a great spot at #11 in the 2009 Draft, only 91 Days away for those counting. If they look at the available free agents, they will notice that the weak spot is DE. There are some good experienced Tight Ends on the Free Agent market, which I believe sways the Bills to look at Defensive End with their First Rounder.

The Bills can hope to get Texas DE Brian Orakpo there, but he'd have to get past Cincinnati and Oakland at 6 and 7. Cincinnati's needs almost replicate ours in this draft, and they could be an annoyance all day. One hopes they trade down and/or take RB Knowshon Moreno with their first pick.

If Orakpo is gone, Tyson Jackson of LSU would be attractive, but I wouldn't want him as early as 11. It's usually hard finding a trade partner, but Minnesota needs a QB, and at #11 they could leapfrog the Jets and take Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez. Minnesota picks at #22. A drop from #11 to #22 nets the Bills a player like DE's Jackson, Paul Kruger from Utah or Michael Johnson from Georgia, as well as a second round pick. I ran this through the www.DraftTek.com Simulator, and we took Kruger at #22, followed by TE Chase Coffman at #42 and OC Alex Mack at #54.

Are you sure Minnesota would consider this? They seem to be sticking with Jackson, even when they shouldn't.

Here's an interesting article: Vikings Starters Rated

They give Jackson a C+. (The guy was benched for most of the season, and gets a C+? WTF? They gave a D- to a guy who was benched and them came back due to injury...same thing for Jackson :flirt: )

IF this is indicative of the thinking in general in Minn., I doubt that your scenario is feasible. It's more likely that they get a FA QB like Jeff Garcia and let him compete for the job, similar to Warner in Arizona, because they probably don't want to admit that Jackson is crap....it's like us with JP.

Tyson Jackson is A 3-4 DE PROSPECT. We don't use a 3-4 defense. He is 6'5" 290+lbs. If both Everett Brown and Aaron Maybin are gone by pick #11 we're pretty much in trouble. Orakpo will be gone for sure and I've seen some mocks that have Brown and Maybin being taken before we pick also. Johnson might be the guy we're left with. He's been compared to Jason Taylor and Lord know's I hope that's true if we take him. If we could drop down and take Johnson @ pick #22 and pick up an additional 2nd, I'd be happy with that. That way we could address TE and the C position in the 2nd round and get a LB in the 3rd. After the 3rd we could take the best player available on the board, probably being able to snag Graham Harrell in the 4th.

edited on January 25, 2009 @ 12:03 AM: I want to formally apologize to every Bills fan on this board at this time for making such a horrible statement as us selecting Graham Harrell at ANY POINT of the 2009 NFL Draft. Again, please accept my most humble apologies.

I have always been a fan of trading down if we found the right team to do it with. I love the idea of obtaining picks instead of giving them away. If Buffalo did swing a deal with Minny, id like them to take someone other then Kruger, but Coffman & Mack would be nice picks. Michael Johnson is the guy id want over Kruger, I dont know much about the kid from LSU. But I know that Johnson is a true freak on a football field. If Buffalo found some way to draft Johnson, Coffman & Mack.....they would be draft winners for 2009. But like you said Cincy is the wild card in this entire thing.

The hope is that Orakpo falls to us, but it won't happen. Brown would be a good pick if Orakpo is gone.

Jackson is a big dude and can stuff the run, but he's not a very good pass rusher. He's best suited to play in a 3-4.

Pending FA and the Combine, if Orakpo isn't there at 11 I would like us to trade down to pick up a few more picks, then grab the best DE available.

Are you sure Minnesota would consider this? They seem to be sticking with Jackson, even when they shouldn't.

Here's an interesting article: Vikings Starters Rated

They give Jackson a C+. (The guy was benched for most of the season, and gets a C+? WTF? They gave a D- to a guy who was benched and them came back due to injury...same thing for Jackson :angry: )

IF this is indicative of the thinking in general in Minn., I doubt that your scenario is feasible. It's more likely that they get a FA QB like Jeff Garcia and let him compete for the job, similar to Warner in Arizona, because they probably don't want to admit that Jackson is crap....it's like us with JP.

FWIW, Jackson will get another year, imo. He was solid down the stretch (minus the playoff game), and that probably will be enough for this year.

Mack won't be available at 54. Not even close.

Interesting point about Cincinnati. Hmmm.

I have switched in that I want to see them get Raji. The guy is a monster, at a position which is probably our 3rd or 4th biggest need. But that position has a huge dropoff in talent between the top 5 or 6 guys in the league and everybody else, and one guy can make a huge difference in what offenses can do at that position. Assuming Raji is there, I think we take him. If he's gone, DE, TE or C would all be fine. Even LB if Curry is still there.

I don't see us taking Coffman. The Bills have made it abundantly clear that they don't take TEs who can't block. If we don't get Pettigrew, I don't see us getting an impact guy.

The Bills have a habit of trying to fill their top two or three needs in FA with mid-level guys. This gives them more ability to pick the best available guy rather than to fill holes regardless of talent. Then they often take a high-level guy in the draft at that position anyway. They can use the FA to teach the rookie and see if which one pans out better.

I'd expect them to do the same thing this year.

Mack won't be available at 54. Not even close.

Interesting point about Cincinnati. Hmmm.

I have switched in that I want to see them get Raji. The guy is a monster, at a position which is probably our 3rd or 4th biggest need. But that position has a huge dropoff in talent between the top 5 or 6 guys in the league and everybody else, and one guy can make a huge difference in what offenses can do at that position. Assuming Raji is there, I think we take him. If he's gone, DE, TE or C would all be fine. Even LB if Curry is still there.

I don't see us taking Coffman. The Bills have made it abundantly clear that they don't take TEs who can't block. If we don't get Pettigrew, I don't see us getting an impact guy.

The Bills have a habit of trying to fill their top two or three needs in FA with mid-level guys. This gives them more ability to pick the best available guy rather than to fill holes regardless of talent. Then they often take a high-level guy in the draft at that position anyway. They can use the FA to teach the rookie and see if which one pans out better.

I'd expect them to do the same thing this year.

Look, I know I just keep repeating myself over and over. But the thing is, Coffman and Pettigrew are not the only 2 guys out there. I'm telling you all that James Casey is going to be an impact player at TE in the NFL. The stat line does not lie.

2008 stats

111 catches for 1,329 yards and 13 TD's receiving

57 carries for 241 yards and 6 TD's rushing

The guy also has 0 fumbles in 2 years with 250+ touches on the ball

Not to mention that the guy is at a different point in his life than most of these college kids about to get their hands on big money. He played minor league baseball, then went to college. He's 24 years old and married. His mentality is already at a maturity that these other kids might not ever get to.

After watching the Senior Bowl Ayers from Ten looked really good as a pash rusher. He may be there in the second round, leaving our first pick for BPA.