Normally I can't stand Bill Simmons...

Bullpen

You'd feel it more if you knew the whole story. Simmons has spoken about "The Dooze" and her ability to fetch a tennis ball for years. He talks about his dog so much, a couple of years ago someone even made a drinking game and included a rule about how he'd mention his dog during his annual NBA draft diary. The Sports Guy's wife used to write a piece in his Friday picks. About 4 months ago she mentioned that "The Dooze" was dying and how sad she'd be when the day came.

It's no surprise the guy wrote a eulogy about his dog. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't time his dog's death with the opening of a movie.

Feel any way you want, you supercilious, pedantic anal orifice (or whatever your title used to be).

:blink:

"Cash in" may have been a poor choice of words. I doubt he killed his dog to ride the coat tails of the movie's popularity.

But having not known he regularly wrote about his dog (since I read Bill Simmons at most...never)...well, you could certainly understand the point of view in that case.

"Cash in" may have been a poor choice of words. I doubt he killed his dog to ride the coat tails of the movie's popularity.

But having not known he regularly wrote about his dog (since I read Bill Simmons at most...never)...well, you could certainly understand the point of view in that case.

No problem. I've always read your posts as though the signature line was: "Caution, there's a decent chance I have no idea what I'm talking about."

:blink:

You'd feel it more if you knew the whole story. Simmons has spoken about "The Dooze" and her ability to fetch a tennis ball for years. He talks about his dog so much, a couple of years ago someone even made a drinking game and included a rule about how he'd mention his dog during his annual NBA draft diary. The Sports Guy's wife used to write a piece in his Friday picks. About 4 months ago she mentioned that "The Dooze" was dying and how sad she'd be when the day came.

It's no surprise the guy wrote a eulogy about his dog. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't time his dog's death with the opening of a movie.

Feel any way you want, you supercilious, pedantic anal orifice (or whatever your title used to be).

:)

Feel I must explain myself again lest this board make me out to dog hater of the Micheal Vick ilk.

Think my posts bout my dog dying and how my then 8 year old found her have been lost to the great TBD meltdown. Lest it be said I get very attached to my dogs and as mentioned before cried several tears over the three dogs I have either put down or have died. They all of had their special quirks, their own personalities, etc, as does my current lab mutt.

Maybe its me and my reading/surfing habits, but there was just nothing new in that column for me . Seems I have read that same column 20 times in the last 20 years. Thats just me. I am not saying I do not agree with the sentiment. I do. Maybe its my age(45) and I am just now becoming jaded and things are starting to repeat themselves. I dunno what it is, all i can say is I really enjoy Simmons work as he usually approaches sports from a different angle than most of the other writers , and this article just did not have that same feel.

I am now officially done with my mea culpa :rolleyes: