How tall is Michelle?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a white male. I can say in all honesty that in my entire lifetime, living in both rural, suburban and urban America that I have never been descriminated against based on the color of my skin, nor have I even felt descriminated against. Nor do I know anyone else who is white that feels that way. Maybe you're just an a-hole. Your posting history suggests a-hole, bigot and homophobe. Way to go.

I bet being a candy ass jerk has caused problems,though.

I'm a white male. I can say in all honesty that in my entire lifetime, living in both rural, suburban and urban America that I have never been descriminated against based on the color of my skin, nor have I even felt descriminated against. Nor do I know anyone else who is white that feels that way. Maybe you're just an a-hole. Your posting history suggests a-hole, bigot and homophobe. Way to go.

Really?

Go to certain parts of DC sometimes. If fact large portions of DC are very much like this.

Go to certain parts of LA sometime. There are certain areas where if you aren't Latino they very much descriminate against you, and I was there in the early 80's.

Go to Japan sometime. They have signs on restaurants and bars that say no to anyone if they aren't Japanese.

All kind of descrimination happens in this country and around the world every day. You either lead a very sheltered life, or choosing to ignore it. If the later great, if the earlier, then I'll tell you some places to go in DC and let's see what kind of service, if any you'd get. You will certainly notice the quality and friendlyness of service you'd get at these joints.

Really?

Go to certain parts of DC sometimes. If fact large portions of DC are very much like this.

Go to certain parts of LA sometime. There are certain areas where if you aren't Latino they very much descriminate against you, and I was there in the early 80's.

Go to Japan sometime. They have signs on restaurants and bars that say no to anyone if they aren't Japanese.

All kind of descrimination happens in this country and around the world every day. You either lead a very sheltered life, or choosing to ignore it. If the later great, if the earlier, then I'll tell you some places to go in DC and let's see what kind of service, if any you'd get. You will certainly notice the quality and friendlyness of service you'd get at these joints.

I'll even go one further and say that the only times I've ever been discriminated against, or was purposfully made to feel uncomfortable, was by other whites. You choose to believe what you want to believe, but in my experience, and I have not lived a sheltered life by any stretch, I have never been made to feel uncomfortable, denied service, or had any outright hostility directed towards me by persons of another skin color than I.

And I didn't say discrimination in this country didn't exist. I was informing another poster who was trying to make the point that racism today is directed against whites is wrong. I have never felt any racism directed towards me at all. The idea that the racism tables have turned and now point towards whites is stupid. But then you'd have to consider the poster who made the stupid claim to begin with.

I'll even go one further and say that the only times I've ever been discriminated against, or was purposfully made to feel uncomfortable, was by other whites. You choose to believe what you want to believe, but in my experience, and I have not lived a sheltered life by any stretch, I have never been made to feel uncomfortable, denied service, or had any outright hostility directed towards me by persons of another skin color than I.

And I didn't say discrimination in this country didn't exist. I was informing another poster who was trying to make the point that racism today is directed against whites is wrong. I have never felt any racism directed towards me at all. The idea that the racism tables have turned and now point towards whites is stupid. But then you'd have to consider the poster who made the stupid claim to begin with.

Any form of discrimination is wrong, regardless of the direction. But I still say you either are sheltered or choose to ignore it when it happens, because there certainly is descrimination that happens in every direction. It maybe subtle or it maybe "hostile" as you put it. But for you to think you've never experienced it is pretty ignorant. You may not have realized it but I'm betting you have. You go to China town up there in Boston? you think the Chinese couple doesn't get a little bigger portion, a little bit better service, a free drink etc... ? Sure they do. When you don't get exactly the same service it is descrimination. You may choose to ignore or think it's not a big deal, but it certainly is descrimination.

Really?

Or Hawaii, or Miami..of course I would never pretend to speak for all white males everywhere, but I'm not white anyway. I'm Irish. And part Cleveland Indian.

Any form of discrimination is wrong, regardless of the direction. But I still say you either are sheltered or choose to ignore it when it happens, because there certainly is descrimination that happens in every direction. It maybe subtle or it maybe "hostile" as you put it. But for you to think you've never experienced it is pretty ignorant. You may not have realized it but I'm betting you have. You go to China town up there in Boston? you think the Chinese couple doesn't get a little bigger portion, a little bit better service, a free drink etc... ? Sure they do. When you don't get exactly the same service it is descrimination. You may choose to ignore or think it's not a big deal, but it certainly is descrimination.

Before I moved here (the SF Bay Area) I went to a conference in SF. We went to Chinatown with a person from China. We asked him what the handwritten signs in the windows of the restaurants were. He said they were specials only for those that could read Chinese. He said to let him order and we got much better food than we would have. Bad side- I got the runs that night.

So explain it.

It's meant to be a tool to help even the playing field in terms of college admissions for black students, the great majority of whom don't have the advantages of extra curricular activities and SAT prep courses. A black student often has a less impressive college resume than a white student of equal intelligence because he had fewer advantages in his school system. Affirmative action does its best to make things a little more fair. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but to call it discrimination toward white kids is just plain wrong.

It's meant to be a tool to help even the playing field in terms of college admissions for black students, the great majority of whom don't have the advantages of extra curricular activities and SAT prep courses. A black student often has a less impressive college resume than a white student of equal intelligence because he had fewer advantages in his school system. Affirmative action does its best to make things a little more fair. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but to call it discrimination toward white kids is just plain wrong.

It goes way beyond college. It affects employment in all circles: just look at the Rooney rule.

I wasn't in any extra curricular activities and SAT prep courses. That's to make up for stupid kids who don't apply themselves to studies.

I wasn't in any extra curricular activities and SAT prep courses. That's to make up for stupid kids who don't apply themselves to studies.

Doesn't matter, they still affect resumes. Besides, those were just two examples. How about overcrowded classrooms, lack of supplies and materials, outdated textbooks, etc, etc.

I understand you live in in the rarefied world of academia,but its not just schools,its JOBS.Its also, in less pc terms,called a quota system-pure numbers-you need x% blacks. If I apply at the local wingnut factory and they don't have their % of blacks, I don't get hired. If I bid on a construction job and they don't have enough "minority contractors" I don't get the job. Thats plain discrimination. And don't give that "fewer advantages" crap.Is it my fault they don't know who their Father is, and moms on crack? even the playing field? Its life, not golf were you give a handicap. And save your breath,I am not raciest. That is just the way the world is outside the ivory towers.

Before I moved here (the SF Bay Area) I went to a conference in SF. We went to Chinatown with a person from China. We asked him what the handwritten signs in the windows of the restaurants were. He said they were specials only for those that could read Chinese. He said to let him order and we got much better food than we would have. Bad side- I got the runs that night.

Some would say there's justice in there somewhere.

I understand you live in in the rarefied world of academia,but its not just schools,its JOBS.Its also, in less pc terms,called a quota system-pure numbers-you need x% blacks. If I apply at the local wingnut factory and they don't have their % of blacks, I don't get hired. If I bid on a construction job and they don't have enough "minority contractors" I don't get the job. Thats plain discrimination. And don't give that "fewer advantages" crap.Is it my fault they don't know who their Father is, and moms on crack? even the playing field? Its life, not golf were you give a handicap. And save your breath,I am not raciest. That is just the way the world is outside the ivory towers.

No, it's not your fault. But it's not their fault either. From a historical perspective, American blacks are largely impoverished urban dwellers because of the lousy situation they were in post-slavery...the viscious cycle of poverty leaves them there today. Due to that, yes, I believe the scales ought to be tipped a little in their favor.

By the way, why do the majority of conservatives on this board seem to despise college students, and young people in general?