How tall is Michelle?

No, it's not your fault. But it's not their fault either. From a historical perspective, American blacks are largely impoverished urban dwellers because of the lousy situation they were in post-slavery...the viscious cycle of poverty leaves them there today. Due to that, yes, I believe the scales ought to be tipped a little in their favor.

By the way, why do the majority of conservatives on this board seem to despise college students, and young people in general?

Post slavery? 1865? I feel the pain. Because you don't have a clue what real life is like. Get back to me in 20 years

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not your fault. But it's not their fault either. From a historical perspective, American blacks are largely impoverished urban dwellers because of the lousy situation they were in post-slavery...the viscious cycle of poverty leaves them there today. Due to that, yes, I believe the scales ought to be tipped a little in their favor.

By the way, why do the majority of conservatives on this board seem to despise college students, and young people in general?

No, we feel sorry for you. We despise your professors. They are making the youth very angry and telling you lies and propaganda. It started when I went to college in R.I. Right before i graduated, I asked my political science teacher for a recommendation (because he was a good friend of my roommate-they did dj thing at the campus radio station). He told me "No,"--he didn't know if he could trust one going into society with my political leanings. I said, Prof--can I tell you something? He said, "What?," thinking perhaps a major transformation in me was about to occur. I said, "Go !@#$ yourself!" I got my only C ever and I went into the final with an 87 average. True story.

No, we feel sorry for you. We despise your professors. They are making the youth very angry and telling you lies and propaganda. It started when I went to college in R.I. Right before i graduated, I asked my political science teacher for a recommendation (because he was a good friend of my roommate-they did dj thing at the campus radio station). He told me "No,"--he didn't know if he could trust one going into society with my political leanings. I said, Prof--can I tell you something? He said, "What?," thinking perhaps a major transformation in me was about to occur. I said, "Go !@#$ yourself!" I got my only C ever and I went into the final with an 87 average. True story.

My professors haven't affected me in any way politically, and they aren't spreading propaganda. They stick to the topics which pertain to their classes. We don't discuss politics. You shouldn't hold a grudge against an entire profession just because one of them screwed you over.

My professors haven't affected me in any way politically, and they aren't spreading propaganda. They stick to the topics which pertain to their classes. We don't discuss politics. You shouldn't hold a grudge against an entire profession just because one of them screwed you over.

I was referring to Social Science teachers, of course.

And I'm not being condescending because you have been tolerant of me, but are you sure you would know if they weren't spreading propaganda?

I was referring to Social Science teachers, of course.

And I'm not being condescending because you have been tolerant of me, but are you sure you would know if they weren't spreading propaganda?

I like to think of myself as relatively aware of these things. My parents are at polar opposites of the political spectrum, so I wasn't really raised to be a herd-following sheep (in either direction) like a lot of my classmates. My Mom made sure that I knew MSNBC was full of liars with an agenda, and my Dad made sure I knew Fox News was full of liars with an agenda.

The one time I did have a professor that blatantly pushed an agenda (American Lit prof that was obsessed with painting white people as the devil for the treatment of Native Americans), I lost a lot of respect for him.

I like to think of myself as relatively aware of these things. My parents are at polar opposites of the political spectrum, so I wasn't really raised to be a herd-following sheep (in either direction) like a lot of my classmates. My Mom made sure that I knew MSNBC was full of liars with an agenda, and my Dad made sure I knew Fox News was full of liars with an agenda.

The one time I did have a professor that blatantly pushed an agenda (American Lit prof that was obsessed with painting white people as the devil for the treatment of Native Americans), I lost a lot of respect for him.

Your parents are doing a good job. :thumbsup:

Maybe at one time. But when does it end? It's discrimination, my friend, pure and simple. When does it end. Nobody around today was around during post slavery

Maybe at one time. But when does it end? It's discrimination, my friend, pure and simple. When does it end. Nobody around today was around during post slavery

That doesn't mean the effects aren't still felt. Unfortunately, our ancestors did a horrible job assisting the assimilation of blacks into their culture. Is it fair that we should be called upon to introduce some equity today? Maybe not, but I say it's the right thing.

That doesn't mean the effects aren't still felt. Unfortunately, our ancestors did a horrible job assisting the assimilation of blacks into their culture. Is it fair that we should be called upon to introduce some equity today? Maybe not, but I say it's the right thing.

Your ancestors maybe. Mine didn't get here until the late 1800's and early 1900's. And they were little more than slaves. Basically slaves to the English before that. When they arrived in America, they could only get the get the very worst jobs when they could get any work at all. So today I should lose out on a job to someone less capable or qualified because of something your people did hundreds of years ago? Please.

You seem reasonable so I will go though this. When my Father's parents emigrated from Poland to Buffalo in the 1890s it was all Irish and Italians and they were trash,Pollocks and had to take the worst jobs[pre union Bethlehem steel]Yet my father[one of 10 depression era kids in his Pollock family] managed to make himself a air force officer in WWII and raised me just fine. That slavery crap is going to be a crutch forever to the weak.

You seem reasonable so I will go though this. When my Father's parents emigrated from Poland to Buffalo in the 1890s it was all Irish and Italians and they were trash,Pollocks and had to take the worst jobs[pre union Bethlehem steel]Yet my father[one of 10 depression era kids in his Pollock family] managed to make himself a air force officer in WWII and raised me just fine. That slavery crap is going to be a crutch forever to the weak.

Fair enough. My ancestors got here in the mid-1600's, and founded a town called Middletown, Connecticut. According to a book chronicling our history, my family owned anywhere between 25 and 50 slaves until the practice was outlawed (relatively early up north). I can only assume that somewhere there is a child still suffering from this, and that makes me feel guilty whether it should or not.

Your father's story is an inspiring one, and one that is relatively common among the hearty people of Buffalo. And yes, I suppose it shoots down my theory to a certain extent. The fact remains that no single ethnic group was at a greater disadvantage than the freedmen. I can't say for sure why they haven't recovered as a group.

Fair enough. My ancestors got here in the mid-1600's, and founded a town called Middletown, Connecticut. According to a book chronicling our history, my family owned anywhere between 25 and 50 slaves until the practice was outlawed (relatively early up north). I can only assume that somewhere there is a child still suffering from this, and that makes me feel guilty whether it should or not.

Your father's story is an inspiring one, and one that is relatively common among the hearty people of Buffalo. And yes, I suppose it shoots down my theory to a certain extent. The fact remains that no single ethnic group was at a greater disadvantage than the freedmen. I can't say for sure why they haven't recovered as a group.

Because they keep dragging the past up. I have relatives[ one aunt in particular,now in her 80s] that still go on about the "Polish people are discriminated against" What happened 100 years ago is done,history and this is 2009 and anyone, black or white,should thank their lucky star they live in the USA.