The final Bush Press conference

4 out of 20,000 people died at the convention center. In an unprecedented national emergency. Again, that's an amazing response and rescue by the US government. I could not be more proud of the way that rescue went.

A lot of the post Katrina relocations were slower than they should have been and a lot of other things went wrong. Thats water under the bridge right now- the fact is that he should have been apologetic in the press conference and shouldered the blame. It would be the right move for an outgoing president.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell it to the people who died at the convention center waiting for help. I'll never forget that image of a dead woman in a chair covered with a blanket who died in front of the convention center waiting for help. Bush rolled FEMA into Homeland Security which increased the bureacracy, and appointed an unqualified person to head it. Forces could have been helicoptered in with short term supplies and to provide security. His lack of focus and sense of urgency will be a permanent blemish on his presidency.
Wow 1 person here gets it! Not surprising.

Congress rolled FEMA into Homeland Security which increased the bureacracy, and appointed an unqualified person to head it.

Also, FEMA had a response to the housing issues in conjuction with HUD within 3 days, but HUD was forced to stop their involvement due to typical beaucracy.

4 out of 20,000 people died at the convention center. In an unprecedented national emergency. Again, that's an amazing response and rescue by the US government. I could not be more proud of the way that rescue went.

Oh yes! And of the 19,996 non-dead, each and every one of them enjoyed a quality of life, had access to all the medical attention they needed, and lived safely and in the most sanitary conditions that someone who just lost all their possessions could possibly hope for. Horray America!

Oh yes! And of the 19,996 non-dead, each and every one of them enjoyed a quality of life, had access to all the medical attention they needed, and lived safely and in the most sanitary conditions that someone who just lost all their possessions could possibly hope for. Horray America!

The US government kept 99.99% of people alive and fed and relocated them. That's pretty impressive and it's not like people were living in a tent city.

The US government kept 99.99% of people alive and fed and relocated them. That's pretty impressive and it's not like people were living in a tent city.

Yeah, and again, like my other post suggested there is some gray area between dead and alive. Understanding that requires a bit of compassion I'm afraid.

there is some gray area between dead and alive

What???????? :wallbash:

I wouldn't exactly call what happened with Ted Williams a good gray area.

In fact I am pretty sure dead or alive is not one of those gray area things. It's pretty black and white.

Actually, I talked to someone down there- wasn't complaining about any of that. He just wanted to know why Bush didn't make an appearance like he did at Ground Zero. I think he has a good point.

Everyone down there knew there was a very good chance the levee would break

What, have his helicopter land on a rooftop in a flooded city and pull out a bullhorn? Oh yeah, I can just hear the howls from the 'tards on that one if they had diverted a bunch of resources to arrange security. :wallbash:

And IIRC, all the idiots criticized him for grandstanding at Ground Zero.

Bush asked former La Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) if she needed federal assistance - twice. She turned him down - twice.

La Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) issued a formal "Shoot To Kill" order and dispatched La National Guard troops into African-American areas of New Orleans.

That's why La now has a Republican governor.

Bush asked former La Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) if she needed federal assistance - twice. She turned him down - twice.

La Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) issued a formal "Shoot To Kill" order and dispatched La National Guard troops into African-American areas of New Orleans.

That's why La now has a Republican governor.

Shh, don't trouble these peopel with facts man...you'll ruin the whole thread!

An absolutely incredible piece of revisionist history. Still never admitting mistakes about anything, still coming up with lying insane rationalizations. The part about Katrina was exceptionally galling. Like Raygun before him the right wing revisionists are coming out of the woodwork to save his legacy, though this time I don't think it is going to work.

S - Give it a rest folks. When Nixon was done, the second time that is, it was over. You didn't have him to kick around any more. But you still did, and you still do. When Carter went away, I was relieved. But he didn't stay away. When George senior was done, for the most part, he was done. And I was OK with that. When Johnson left, it was over. And Johnson was happy it was over. When Clinton was gone, he refused to be gone, and he still does. But what are you going to do? Trust me on this one, "W" will quietly ride off into the sunset, just like Eisenhower did, and those two guys from Blazing Saddles. I'm supposed to go fishing with our newest X sometime in the spring. I doubt it will happen. Yeah right, like the SS would ever let somebody like me near him. But that promise was not made by him; it was made by a mutual fishing buddy friend. Anyway, I ain't any where near Texas at the moment, and I don't really want to be. If the call comes, I will be tempted. Bush really a pretty good guy who had great intentions, and gets zero credit for any of the good that has come from his presidency. Many of you opinionated retards that post here just misunderstander him. I'll be glad when all ignorance is gone.

It's still fascinating to me to observe the hatred you have toward people who have little relevance anymore.

S - Give it a rest folks. When Nixon was done, the second time that is, it was over. You didn't have him to kick around any more. But you still did, and you still do. When Carter went away, I was relieved. But he didn't stay away. When George senior was done, for the most part, he was done. And I was OK with that. When Johnson left, it was over. And Johnson was happy it was over. When Clinton was gone, he refused to be gone, and he still does. But what are you going to do? Trust me on this one, "W" will quietly ride off into the sunset, just like Eisenhower did, and those two guys from Blazing Saddles. I'm supposed to go fishing with our newest X sometime in the spring. I doubt it will happen. Yeah right, like the SS would ever let somebody like me near him. But that promise was not made by him; it was made by a mutual fishing buddy friend. Anyway, I ain't any where near Texas at the moment, and I don't really want to be. If the call comes, I will be tempted. Bush really a pretty good guy who had great intentions, and gets zero credit for any of the good that has come from his presidency. Many of you opinionated retards that post here just misunderstander him. I'll be glad when all ignorance is gone.

It's still fascinating to me to observe the hatred you have toward people who have little relevance anymore.

Thats the life of the Tard , emptiness , nothing to offer to anybody or themselves. Probably watches a lot of reruns on TV of shows he didn't like.

What???????? :wallbash:

I wouldn't exactly call what happened with Ted Williams a good gray area.

In fact I am pretty sure dead or alive is not one of those gray area things. It's pretty black and white.

Well, then you and John Adams can continue believing that when penned up in the Astrodome as a refugee that

living = good

dead = bad.

Yeah, things are always that simple.

Well, then you and John Adams can continue believing that when penned up in the Astrodome as a refugee that

living = good

dead = bad.

Yeah, things are always that simple.

Only in a tard mind would you like it to have been more dead. That way it gives you more ammo to blame W. Let's ignore the fact the idiots in the dome were told to get the !@#$ out.

I guess Eddie Murphy was wrong.

What, have his helicopter land on a rooftop in a flooded city and pull out a bullhorn? Oh yeah, I can just hear the howls from the 'tards on that one if they had diverted a bunch of resources to arrange security. :wallbash:

And IIRC, all the idiots criticized him for grandstanding at Ground Zero.

I agree- those people were idiots- being at ground zero is one of the few good things he's done in his 8 years. It would have been worth the security to have the President there

I agree- those people were idiots- being at ground zero is one of the few good things he's done in his 8 years. It would have been worth the security to have the President there

No it really wouldn't have. Adding people to a situation like that, even temporarily, is the LAST thing you ever want to do. Bush's visit to lower Manhattan was well after the actual emergency was over, and the "cleanup" phase had begun. Visiting New Orleans while New Orleans was flooding would have been idiotic, even for Bush. And people seem to forget - conveniently - that he did visit the Gulf Coast mid-week after Katrina. Apparently it doesn't count since he didn't go traipsing through the wreckage?

It still amazes me how little people understand about what did and didn't happen during and after Katrina. "They should have dropped troops in with food." Absolutely retarded. Drop the 82nd Airborne in to a swamp with no support where neither the military nor the federal government has any jurisdiction? You've got 40k people isolated and unsupported that you can't get to...so the solution is to add another ten thousand people? Illegally, no less, since the federal government can't arbitrarily usurp state and local powers on a whim, nor can the US military be used for domestic security. If Bush had done what most of you ignorant morons complain he didn't do, you'd now be complaining in turn that he was a heavy-handed neo-Nazi dictator.

Really, most of you are just looking for an excuse to complain.

(Not directed at you, Adam - not entirely, at least. The first paragraph is. You just happen to be the one I'm responding to.)

No it really wouldn't have. Adding people to a situation like that, even temporarily, is the LAST thing you ever want to do. Bush's visit to lower Manhattan was well after the actual emergency was over, and the "cleanup" phase had begun. Visiting New Orleans while New Orleans was flooding would have been idiotic, even for Bush. And people seem to forget - conveniently - that he did visit the Gulf Coast mid-week after Katrina. Apparently it doesn't count since he didn't go traipsing through the wreckage?

It still amazes me how little people understand about what did and didn't happen during and after Katrina. "They should have dropped troops in with food." Absolutely retarded. Drop the 82nd Airborne in to a swamp with no support where neither the military nor the federal government has any jurisdiction? You've got 40k people isolated and unsupported that you can't get to...so the solution is to add another ten thousand people? Illegally, no less, since the federal government can't arbitrarily usurp state and local powers on a whim, nor can the US military be used for domestic security. If Bush had done what most of you ignorant morons complain he didn't do, you'd now be complaining in turn that he was a heavy-handed neo-Nazi dictator.

Really, most of you are just looking for an excuse to complain.

(Not directed at you, Adam - not entirely, at least. The first paragraph is. You just happen to be the one I'm responding to.)

Bush apologist. Far right crackpot. Time has passed you by. All hail the new liberal agenda.

:wallbash: Having been in NOLA the last couple years it doesn't take much to tell most of the idiots here (toolbox Tommy, Potsie) have no idea the shitsorm that went down there and the lack of governmental response.

Check in on Antoinette K-Doe over on 1500 Claiborne and talk to her about the federal response. She runs a bar dedicated to her late husband Ernie K. Doe. Ask her about the federal response in regard to Katrina..504-947-1078

Mother in Law

Mother in Law