Is Chrysler dead in the water?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28547537/

Things were so bad last year that a single Toyota model, the Camry/Solara midsize car, outsold the entire fleet of Chrysler LLC’s passenger cars.

Chrysler’s chief financial officer has said the company needs $7 billion every 45 days to pay parts suppliers, and analysts question whether the company’s meager sales are generating enough cash to make those payments.

Chrysler CEO Robert Nardelli, in a presentation to the Senate Banking Committee last month, said the company could stay alive in the long term with reasonable concessions, a $7 billion bridge loan and $6 billion more out of the $25 billion Congress allocated to develop new fuel-efficient technology.

The Bush administration provided a $4 billion loan. Now, Chrysler is counting on an additional $3 billion in aid for its financing arm, Chrysler Financial.

This is less about whose fault it is that Chrysler is going under (management, unions, economy, etc...), and why we think giving them $4 billion now and possibly another $3 billion in a few months is gonna do anything.

This is less about whose fault it is that Chrysler is going under (management, unions, economy, etc...), and why we think giving them $4 billion now and possibly another $3 billion in a few months is gonna do anything.

To put it in human terms, that's $3,000 from each of us for the R&D and Chrysler Finance, and another $2,000 'loan' on top of the existing $1,000 'loan.' All just to stave off the inevitable for a few months.

That assumes all 300 million of us pay taxes and contribute equally, of course. Otherwise your bill is much higher.

Now let's see what you can do for Foird, GM, and the UAW.

Because he removed half the staff at home depot to save money.

He cuts labor costs to the bare bone.

If that's the only qualification, you can get a hatchet man for a lot less than what they pay/paid him. Now, he doesn't bear sole responsibility, but Home Depot is still trying to undo some of Nardelli's "Strategy."

If that's the only qualification, you can get a hatchet man for a lot less than what they pay/paid him. Now, he doesn't bear sole responsibility, but Home Depot is still trying to undo some of Nardelli's "Strategy."

And I would agree with you. His only claim to fame was to cut labor costs and anyone can do that.

I love my Dodge Avenger, but as I noted here after I bought it in November: my wife and I were the only persons in the dealership that evening from the time we arrived at 7:30.

I know Chrysler's doing terribly; I just pray they don't go under.

My last two vans have been Dodge/Chrysler. I think they make the best vans, much better than the Ford I used to have.

You state that you think they make the best vans and then state that you've only compared them with Ford clunkers. There's a disconnect here.

Fiat bought in 30% or so.

Interesting choice of words.

Fiat is paying essentially nothing for the 30% stake. What's in it for Chrylser is that by agreement they can start selling Fiat's small cars, and get access to Fiat's distributors overseas.

Let's recap: Congress gives Chrysler a temporary $4 billion dollar 'loan.' This tides them over long enough to give away a third of the company. AFAIK, Fiat assumes no liability on that debt - they are just shareholders.

Chrysler will be in loan default if they cannot get the UAW to renegotiate by some date in a month or so. Suppose the UAW rolls over - a big if. Chrysler stills owes the money, and now needs a new $8 billion bridge loan to keep them afloat until they start making money importing those Alpha Romeo's. Or gives away more of the company. Or gets another bridge loan. Good thing they didn't go into Chapter 11!

But heck, this is just a practice run. Let's see what Ford and GM do with our money, and how much more Congress gives them before washing their hands of the mess.