Watching the Vikes, almost every time.....

Lv-Bills

Antoine Winfield. This guy can flat out play football. I would take Winfield over Nate Clements any day of the week. Antoine brings it every week, every down.

He's an awesome football player in almost every phase of the game at this required position. I also miss Pat Williams, although he's hurt. But one guy I wish and feel the Bills should have kept is Winfield.

The guy is worth the price of admission.

I was thinking Pat Williams.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better tackler than Winfield. I KNOW I've never seen a better tackler in the secondary as Winfield. If he just had a little bit better hands.......of course, that's why he's on defense most likely. lol

Antoine Winfield. This guy can flat out play football. I would take Winfield over Nate Clements any day of the week. Antoine brings it every week, every down.

He's an awesome football player in almost every phase of the game at this required position. I also miss Pat Williams, although he's hurt. But one guy I wish and feel the Bills should have kept is Winfield.

I was thinking the same thing. I miss him more than any other ex-Bill.

And I definitely agree that Winfield >>> Clements.

The Bills are a farm team for the rest of the league. Any "A" free agent with the Bills is sure to leave because Ralph's too cheap, no A type FA will sign with the Bills because Ralph's too cheap, and any player who has had success with another team is doomed to underachieve (see Derrick Dockery) because Ralph is too cheap (to pay for competent coaches).

BTW, Matt Birk moves people...would be a good pick-up, but alas Ralph is too cheap.

The Bills are a farm team for the rest of the league. Any "A" free agent with the Bills is sure to leave becuase Ralph's too cheap, no A type FA will sign with the Bills becuase Ralph's too cheap, and any player who has had success with another team is doomed to underachieve (see Derrick Dockery) because Ralph is too cheap (to pay for competent coaches).

One of the bigger problems for the Bills, over the years, has been their inability to (or disinterest in) locking up high draft picks that produce BEFORE they hit FA. I don't think that would be any different if the player was a DB, or DL or OL or LB. In my mind, the Bills are almost always going to lose their 1st round pick to FA, if they operate like they have operated for years.

Given that, it almost makes sense to draft DBs as the good ones are FAR too expensive in FA, and the top picks can usually play at a pretty high level early in their careers. It is also easier to identify a DB that is unlikely to be a bust (something that seems to be very tricky with linemen) Where they have dropped the ball, year in and year out, is finding good linemen in rounds 3-6...guys they usually can keep/extend...and get a quality Center. Still, they have gone out, and spent major money (under Levy and Brandon) to acquire BIG interior men, on both side of the ball. Are they good enough? They haven't been, so far, but I feel that it is as much a by-product of coaching as it is talent.

Clements talked more but I thought winfield was awsome and came to play every week.

Winfield & Williams would have been our best players on the defense if we had them this year......

Kinda makes me sick seeing guys leave Buffalo to play really good football elsewhere......

an dI think Justin Bannan (Ravens) would be on that list as well. or may be a product of a system and guys around him

The bottom line seems to be that we don't get the most out of our players. We invest high draft picks in late bloomers, are unable to retain talent in their prime, pay players for their unproductive later years, and fail to take advantage of the skills of players on the roster.

This is 100% a front office/coaching problem.

Clements talked more but I thought winfield was awsome and came to play every week.

Many here were down on Winfield because he didn't get INTs or make SportsCenter. Some of the same people are Whitner bashers, for the same kind of reasons.

The bottom line seems to be that we don't get the most out of our players. We invest high draft picks in late bloomers, are unable to retain talent in their prime, pay players for their unproductive later years, and fail to take advantage of the skills of players on the roster.

This is 100% a front office/coaching problem.

for the most part, this team's early picks haven't been late bloomers. Not retaining them is an issue, though

Williams and Winfield should have never been allowed to leave Buffalo. Both are very talented players and their departures really hurt our defenses. Winfield might have been a bit small, but the dude can play. He hits like a linebacker and always seems to be around the play. Williams was a force to be reckoned with on the inside and having him next to a guy like Stroud would make this line much better even with Schobel still being injured.