Attention OLine maniacs.........

JStranger76

Did a little searching for potential free agent LT tackles and found some names: Tra Thomas 29 years old, Brad Hopkins 33 years old, LJ Shelton 28 years old( back up to Leanard Davis), and of course the other super LT's who are either francised or in final year of contract( Ogden, Pace, Jones, blah, blah, blah). Anyone know if Shelton can play? I know there are 10 games left but this will be the top priority no matter what happens anyways. Who do you guys think we should make a play for? I hear Philly is not totally happy with Thomas but they have way more money if they want to keep him. We have to do something to get some proven talent on the line. Discuss..............

Well, I think that signing a T and drafting one would be the right thing to do. If our interior OL next year was

LG - MW

C - Teague/Tucker

RG - Villarial

I could live with that. Price is a good backup T and could be a starter to let a rook develop. But LT's are very expensive and I would rather see us try and extend Clements and sign Phat Pat than a FA. Any FA RT out there? Hopefully we can draft a Munoz high in the 2nd round.

Did a little searching for potential free agent LT tackles and found some names: Tra Thomas 29 years old, Brad Hopkins 33 years old, LJ Shelton 28 years old( back up to Leanard Davis), and of course the other super LT's who are either francised or in final year of contract( Ogden, Pace, Jones, blah, blah, blah). Anyone know if Shelton can play? I know there are 10 games left but this will be the top priority no matter what happens anyways. Who do you guys think we should make a play for? I hear Philly is not totally happy with Thomas but they have way more money if they want to keep him. We have to do something to get some proven talent on the line. Discuss..............

91300[/snapback]

Good list. Points out why teams with brains draft linemen (and Def. backs) early and often, unlike us. We used to, btw... :blush:

Well, I think that signing a T and drafting one would be the right thing to do.  If our interior OL next year was

LG - MW

C - Teague/Tucker

RG - Villarial

I could live with that.  Price is a good backup T and could be a starter to let a rook develop.  But LT's are very expensive and I would rather see us try and extend Clements and sign Phat Pat than a FA.  Any FA RT out there?  Hopefully we can draft a Munoz high in the 2nd round.

91440[/snapback]

I think the best thing that could happen to this line is for Teauge to be able to take over at one of the tackle positions. I think with the leaps he made at Center working under McNally, he could possibly do the same at tackle. If that happnes then they could go for a Center in round 2, and try to bring in a FA tackle to fill the other side. If he can make the switch, I'll feel much better about the chances of fielding a good line next year.

Bringing in two tackles will be tough to do in a Tackle stingy league. Every year there are good tackles going into FA, but they are always signed by their teams. They are too valuable.

I just checked and it turns out LJ Shelton has been playing RT for Arizona so maybe he enters free agency. If Williams moves to LG this wouldn't be a bad move. We would then have to pray a decent LT falls to us somehow in the draft. It won't be easy to upgrade this line, but I can always just play Madden! :blush:

91300[/snapback]

I would take a close look at Hopkins. No, he is not a youngster, so no need to go long term. I once watched him beat up Schobel so bad in a pre season game, that I was worried about AS. (Things might be different now).

I was never overly impressed with George nor even McNair, and I suspect that Hopkins might be an unsung hero of this team.

Very interesting, and thanks for the info.

You won't find 1 team in the nfl playoffs that doesn't have a good offensive line. Not one. Teams like the chiefs, philly, colts, ne,baltimore, rams, sehawks, packers all put together good offensive line. Their fo "Gets it" That to win it starts up front. With that said I wouldn't mind tra thomas in a bills uni one bit if the eagles don't sign him. I just don't see them letting him go, but if he's available thats definitly someone the bills should look into. Although I'm bigger right now about bringing John Abraham in thru free agency and maybe pickup a 1-2 decent oline players, and than draft oline in the 2nd rd and possibly 3rd rd. However Tra Thomas, LJ Shelton, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones are definitly something I'd consider. Orlando Pace and Jones. Orlando Pace I doubt. Jones with seattle having to try to keep hasselbeck and alexander might slip into free agency in which case pull the trigger.

I'm thinking probably Hopkins too Bill. Being realistic, the Titans may try and get younger there and we could get him as a 2-3 year servicable stop gap. LJ Shelton would be good for RT, then we wish for the best on the left side.

I'm thinking probably Hopkins too Bill. Being realistic, the Titans may try and get younger there and we could get him as a 2-3 year servicable stop gap. LJ Shelton would be good for RT, then we wish for the best on the left side.

91592[/snapback]

Get younger perhaps, but I recall that they had cap problems. Dont know if this is still the case, but I hope so. :P

Hopkins can flat out play! Let the Titans have Jennings! :blush:

Get younger perhaps, but I recall that they had cap problems. Dont know if this is still the case, but I hope so.  :P

Hopkins can flat out play! Let the Titans have Jennings!  :blush:

91604[/snapback]

I understand that the Titans are in a whole heap of trouble this offseason with the cap.

Cool, I think RG Benji Olsen is a free agent too. He's younger so hopefully they target him instead of Hopkins. With Jennings missing time again plus a couple of sup par games it will be interesting to see what he commands. If he would accept a move to RT and an average salary a line of Hopkins, Williams, Teague, Villarial, Jennings/ draft pick could be quite good.