Think things are bad now?

thewildrabbit

The Dallas Cowboys fired their special teams coach and are looking for a replacement...

The one great coach the on the current Buffalo Bills staff has to be wondering what am I doing on this ship of fools.Will he still be here with all the coaching changes that will happen this off season,one has to wonder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dallas Cowboys fired their special teams coach and are look for a replacement...

The one great coach the on the current Buffalo Bills staff has to be wondering what am I doing on this ship of fools.Will he still be here with all the coaching changes that will happen this off season,one has to wonder.

Great with our luck we'll lose the only coordinator we have thats worth a damn.

The Dallas Cowboys fired their special teams coach and are look for a replacement...

April has the Assistant Head Coach title here. He can't make a lateral or downward move.

I have never heard anyone in the organization that does not hold Jauron in the highest regard. I love how fans project their frustrations on others who have never indicated any of those feelings in the slightest.

My favorite poster so far is the guy who is going to become a Detroit fan because of his frustration over the Management of the Bills. Good luck with that one.

I believe we have a better chance at success in 2009 with Jauron than by blowing the whole thing up and starting again. We were the 2nd youngest team in the league last year and played several games with a quarterback who will soon be out of the NFL. The wailing and gnashing of teeth out there is understandable but as Marv Levy wisely said "if you listen to the fans, you will soon be one". Meanwhile, I remain a loyal Bills fan and thankful that Ralph Wilson has kept a team in Buffalo for close to 50 years.

Really how about if we were to blow it up with Scott Pioli as GM and Mike Shanahan as coach?

In 2009, yes. They would tear apart the team and start anew. By 2011, we would probably be a contender. It may be one reason Wilson made the choice he did. At 90, your time horizon gets a little narrow.

In 2009, yes. They would tear apart the team and start anew. By 2011, we would probably be a contender. It may be one reason Wilson made the choice he did. At 90, your time horizon gets a little narrow.

I disagree, I do however admire your optimism. So do you think Miami and Atlanta were both flukes this year?

actually now that I think about it Ralph will still own the team so we probably wouldnt bring in the talent for a quick turnaround.

So do you think Miami and Atlanta were both flukes this year?

Complete and utter flukes. Actually, I think those teams did well not because of their coaches, but because of key personnel changes (swap in Pennington for Cleo Lemon in Miami; and Turner/Matt Ryan for their Atlanta dopplegangers--and you have the reason for their turn-arounds).

There are a lot of transaction costs and risk with any coaching change.

I disagree, I do however admire your optimism. So do you think Miami and Atlanta were both flukes this year?

Yes. That kind of turnaround with the same personnel is rare. Not coincidental that they both hit the jackpot with new quarterbacks. I think last years Miami quarterback contingent will go down as one of the worst in history. Lemon, Beck and who else?

The NFL tends to be 2 or 3 players and a couple breaks from turning a 6-10 team into a 10-6 team. I am not thrilled with Dick Jauron on game day. Who could be? But they are young and hopefully improving. In my time as a Bills fan, I have seen a lot less talent on this team. Hopefully, we can fill some holes, build some depth and the players play hard for Jauron. I just wish he didnt look so much like a weasel.

Yes. That kind of turnaround with the same personnel is rare. Not coincidental that they both hit the jackpot with new quarterbacks. I think last years Miami quarterback contingent will go down as one of the worst in history. Lemon, Beck and who else?

The NFL tends to be 2 or 3 players and a couple breaks from turning a 6-10 team into a 10-6 team. I am not thrilled with Dick Jauron on game day. Who could be? But they are young and hopefully improving. In my time as a Bills fan, I have seen a lot less talent on this team. Hopefully, we can fill some holes, build some depth and the players play hard for Jauron. I just wish he didnt look so much like a weasel.

I'll give you Matt Ryan as far as hitting a jackpot but Pennnigton not so much he's not an elite QB he is very good and he is smart but most importantly he was put in a position where he could win games. I agree those moves were not coincidence they were moves made by Front offices who understand how to utilize the players they have.

Complete and utter flukes. Actually, I think those teams did well not because of their coaches, but because of key personnel changes (swap in Pennington for Cleo Lemon in Miami; and Turner/Matt Ryan for their Atlanta dopplegangers--and you have the reason for their turn-arounds).

There are a lot of transaction costs and risk with any coaching change.

Pennington was a massive upgrade, to be sure, although some here mocked that possibility when he first went to Miami. But there was also an overhaul in the team's philosophy from Cameron to Sparano. Not only did TS reverse some questionable decisions by the previous regime (playing Joey Porter over the TE?), he let the players know that if they didn't perform, he'd find someone who would.

That would be a refreshing change here, where Jauron's "well, we'd rather be 12-0, but we're not, oh well, maybe next week" postgame pressers have become a running joke.

You know, I'd be all right with this move, but for one thing: I'm damn sick and tired of the completely inexplicable gameday breakdowns on the Bills' sideline. Is competence too much to ask for?

I'll give you Matt Ryan as far as hitting a jackpot but Pennnigton not so much he's not an elite QB he is very good and he is smart but most importantly he was put in a position where he could win games.

They essentailly added Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams as well because of injuries and lifestyle. Pennington played at a near Pro Bowl level this year. He made Ted Ginn look like a receiver. The change worked for them but coming off a 1-15 was there really any choice. There was no place to go but up. I remember 2-14 seasons, they are not fun.

I have never heard anyone in the organization that does not hold Jauron in the highest regard. I love how fans project their frustrations on others who have never indicated any of those feelings in the slightest.

My favorite poster so far is the guy who is going to become a Detroit fan because of his frustration over the Management of the Bills. Good luck with that one.

I believe we have a better chance at success in 2009 with Jauron than by blowing the whole thing up and starting again. We were the 2nd youngest team in the league last year and played several games with a quarterback who will soon be out of the NFL. The wailing and gnashing of teeth out there is understandable but as Marv Levy wisely said "if you listen to the fans, you will soon be one". Meanwhile, I remain a loyal Bills fan and thankful that Ralph Wilson has kept a team in Buffalo for close to 50 years.

The reason why the "Blowing the whole thing up and starting again" will fail with this team is because the owner,Wilson refuses to over pay for a big name head coach,even though that would be a smarter move in the long run.So bringing in another no name coach wouldn't even guarantee a 7-9 record.

This past season the Bills had one of their best season ticket sales in years because the fans expectations were running high. I highly doubt that will happen again this next season,in fact I'm thinking that many games will not be sold out and therefore not be on TV.

I also hold Dick Jauron in high regard,just not as a head coach though. He works hard,his players work hard for him and you would think that would be enough to win games, but it isn't.Bill Belichick showed you the difference last Sunday.

I'll also remain a Bills fan, just not one with blinders on. I was a season ticket holder during the Bills magnificent super bowl years,attended every SB the Bills were in and rooted them on.I dumped my season tickets when Ralph Wilson forced Marv levy into retirement.

Lastly,who is to say that some team won't consider Bobby April for a head coaching job? Wasn't Marv Levy a special teams assistant under George Allen?

Pennington was a massive upgrade, to be sure, although some here mocked that possibility when he first went to Miami. But there was also an overhaul in the team's philosophy from Cameron to Sparano. Not only did TS reverse some questionable decisions by the previous regime (playing Joey Porter over the TE?), he let the players know that if they didn't perform, he'd find someone who would.

That would be a refreshing change here, where Jauron's "well, we'd rather be 12-0, but we're not, oh well, maybe next week" postgame pressers have become a running joke.

You know, I'd be all right with this move, but for one thing: I'm damn sick and tired of the completely inexplicable gameday breakdowns on the Bills' sideline. Is competence too much to ask for?

Lori, I really respect your opinion and your talent for writing. I am also baffled by the gameday breakdowns. We know Jauron is smart, he has been around football all his life. I am hopeful that Schonert's having been though it once and the team maturing will help in that regard.

However, the fact that Jauron does "press conference speak" and rarely gives a good quote to reporters does not bother me at all. I don't think that has anything to do with his performance with the team. Must be frustrating for reporters however.

He will not be out of the NFL he will catch on with another team that wont F him up like he wa here :beer:

They essentailly added Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams as well because of injuries and lifestyle. Pennington played at a near Pro Bowl level this year. He made Ted Ginn look like a receiver. The change worked for them but coming off a 1-15 was there really any choice. There was no place to go but up. I remember 2-14 seasons, they are not fun.

Thats my whole point the system worked for them because they were utilized in the correct manner. Do you really feel that Brown and Williams are that much better than Lynch and Jackson? I don't and when before has Pennington played at a pro bowl level?

This is exactly where I am now. I was telling a friend at work today that, in a way, it's mind-boggling. Jauron--a great former player, an obviously really smart guy--should be great on gameday and should be able to match football wits with the likes of Bellichick.

But there's this missing link--it's puzzling. In crucial situations, when he should be conservative, he's risky; when he should be risky, he's conservative; when he should challenge a call, he doesn't; vice versa. How can this be?

You both are forgetting John Harbaugh in Baltimore,they also hired Cam Cameron to be the offensive coordinator and kept the defensive side intact. The team is 11-5 and in the playoffs, also with a rookie QB in Joe Flacco.