Players believe they are "close" to being a playoff team

BuffaloBill

Across several forums Bills players are supporting the return of Dick Jauron (then again what else can they do?). What's possibly even worse is several have and continue to make claims that the are "close" to playoff material. Do they watch their own games? Do they look at their W-L record? Seriously? You go 0-6 in the division, you have not even come close to being competitive with the Patriots in nearly a decade and you think you are close?

Somewhere in this mess it would be wise for the the Bills organization to take a step back and realize that the Bills fans are not just a moronic bunch of idiots. Don't simply think that we accept incompetence. I would feel much better if the shooting was straight - Just say "Dick Jauron was not fired because we did not want to eat the cost of his extension. We know this will anger many of you but he and his staff have been given one final year to turn this thing around. If they are not successful we will seek to restructure the entire organization by bringing in a true football GM. The GM will then select a coach. Please give Dick and his staff a chance. Also, thank you for spending your hard earned money on tickets, Direct TV and merchandise. Your support is much appreciated. - The Bills"

In addition to having a football mess the Bils have a public relations fiasco on their hands. Russ brandon had better get busy on marketing.

To the players: Please just do not insult us by making comments that your play does not support. Put your entire focus on getting better and prove your personal thoughts through winning.

They're 7-9. An 8-8 team made the playoffs in the AFC, so in the idiotic logic of this team, its front office, and apparently its players, that's close to making the playoffs.

Never mind the fact that an 11-5 team in our own division didn't make it. Newsflash to these a**holes: you guys are a hell of a long way from being a 10 or 11 win team. They'll have trouble winning half that number in '09.

They're 7-9. An 8-8 team made the playoffs in the AFC, so in the idiotic logic of this team, its front office, and apparently its players, that's close to making the playoffs.

Never mind the fact that an 11-5 team in our own division didn't make it. Newsflash to these a**holes: you guys are a hell of a long way from being a 10 or 11 win team. They'll have trouble winning half that number in '09.

I should have added what difference does it make if you manage to somehow sneak in and then you are not even competititve? The Bills have no beat a quality team in ameaniful game in years - nearly a decade now. Yet they are "close."

With the Fins storming from 1-15 to the playoffs in one off-season, the beauty of the Rozzelle model of doing business is that every team (except Detroit) is in fact close to making the playoffs next year IF they make the right moves in the off-season. However, staying the course with Jauron and the crew does not seem like a major league move like hiring Bill Parcells (as far as Detroit I do not think even Parcells can reverse the the Matt Millen wreckage in one season).

I think the problem for us Bills fans is that even if one gives Ralph the benefit of the doubt and believe in Jauron having this team on a positive track, the speed of his past career long achievements is likely a team he took to 7-9 3 years in a row improves to 8-8 or 9-7 next year. With some lucky bounces of the ball and intersection of some planes (the Pats and the Fins planes colliding over JFK is the type of event which will do it) the "improving" Bills still need some help to make the playoffs and are fairly likely to last only a round.

The DJ re-hiring seems like a commitment to adequacy at best on a good day after 3 years of medicore results at best.

With the Fins storming from 1-15 to the playoffs in one off-season, the beauty of the Rozzelle model of doing business is that every team (except Detroit) is in fact close to making the playoffs next year IF they make the right moves in the off-season. However, staying the course with Jauron and the crew does not seem like a major league move like hiring Bill Parcells (as far as Detroit I do not think even Parcells can reverse the the Matt Millen wreckage in one season).

I might agree with you except ... oddly .. the AFC East is now highly competitive. The Fins are likely to improve next year as they have found the recipe and are not losing any key players. Bellicheat is who he is the Pats are not going to take a step back - even if Brady's return is delayed. If They have to they will franchise Cassell keep him for a season and wait for Brady's return. They may even have the b*lls to trade Brady away like they did Bledsoe. Can you imagine what they could get in exchange?

I put a question mark over the Jets because Faurve may not be back and they do not have a coach yet. However, they are not in rebuilding mode they have a good (but not great D) and a solid o-line. They will be at least competitive.

Add to the above the Bills look to have a very tough schedule next year.

I think the problem for us Bills fans is that even if one gives Ralph the benefit of the doubt and believe in Jauron having this team on a positive track, the speed of his past career long achievements is likely a team he took to 7-9 3 years in a row improves to 8-8 or 9-7 next year. With some lucky bounces of the ball and intersection of some planes (the Pats and the Fins planes colliding over JFK is the type of event which will do it) the "improving" Bills still need some help to make the playoffs and are fairly likely to last only a round.

The only real hope we have is that Trent Edwards takes a hugh step forward in the offseason. There is some other tweaking that needs to occur - DE, C. TE, WR are critical needs that have to be addressed through free agency and the draft. The Bills also need to get the Peters contract out of the way quickly and quitely.

Realistically, if TE is the same player next year as he is this year then we will be lucky to finish 7-9 again.

The DJ re-hiring seems like a commitment to adequacy at best on a good day after 3 years of medicore results at best.

This is kind.

I might agree with you except ... oddly .. the AFC East is now highly competitive.

I put a question mark over the Jets because Faurve may not be back and they do not have a coach yet. However, they are not in rebuilding mode they have a good (but not great D) and a solid o-line. They will be at least competitive.

Add to the above the Bills look to have a very tough schedule next year.

So does everyone else in the AFC East next year. The Pats, Fins, and Jets weren't nearly as good as their records showed - sadly, that might also be true of the Bills - the AFC East played the NFC and AFC West this year - the two worst divisions in football. Our AFC East rivals were also padding their records with wins against the Chiefs, Seahawks, Rams, Raiders, etc. - and in fact, they even lost some of those games.

Are you really that intimidated by a Jets team that lost a must-win game to Seattle???

No - the Bills were done in by going 0-4 against the Jets and Fish - if they had gone 4-0 like they did last year, the Bills would have finished 11-5. But Miami and New Jersey improved enough and the Bills made enough mental mistakes to lose games this season that they didn't last year. Buffalo had 2nd-half leads in all three games Edwards played, if I recall properly - although the first Jets game (where I believe Edwards took another blow to the head and reinjured his concussed brain - my theory) may have gotten away earlier. Losman was just putrid this year - so much for his "resume".

My main point is that 9-7 could well win the AFC East next year. The question is will the Bills win enough of the division games (4-2) to be that 9-7 team.

The only real hope we have is that Trent Edwards takes a hugh step forward in the offseason. There is some other tweaking that needs to occur - DE, C. TE, WR are critical needs that have to be addressed through free agency and the draft. The Bills also need to get the Peters contract out of the way quickly and quitely.

Realistically, if TE is the same player next year as he is this year then we will be lucky to finish 7-9 again.

This is kind.

I believe the Bills lost at least 4!!! games this season due to incompetent play at the Center position.

I believe if they get a top young Center early in the second round they will instantly be MUCH better. They will immediately be able to be that power running team we've heard about for so long, and Lynch will be THE most feared RB in the Division, if not the conference. If that happens, how comfy do you think Edwards is going to start looking throwing PA passes to Evans?

What was the frustration all season on offense - "why can't we beat a 3-4?" - answer - because our Centers get blown into the backfield by all three NT's in the AFC East. Not sure why anyone thinks Edwards should look good with a NT in his face 1 second into a pass play.

That they didn't fix this problem this year is shameful. I'll be utterly stunned if they let it go a second year.

They need a DE more than a TE, and they can get a top C early in round 2. Top DE's go about where the Bills will pick. DE is the obvious choice.

There are a few easy picks there - my personal favorite is Everette Brown (FSU) but there are others.

I actually think Fine could be a solid TE, but they can also pursue a trade/FA there.

If they keep Crowell along with Poz and Mitchell I'm pretty good with the LBs - especially with DiGi back as a backup instead of the undersized Ellison.

I'm not that concerned with WR because I think Steve Johnson is the real deal - he was very productive in college - my bet is we got a steal there. Hardy is going to take time.

I think they still need another DT. Their run defense goes to hell every time Stroud isn't on the field.

I love how players on this team would have no idea that they played poorly, or that they're close or not close (depending on who you listen to) but fans to watch and can sit securely behind their keyboards directing criticism know so much more. I mean, you would think, if you had any sense of logic, that being intimately involved with the team - as being MEMBERS of said team, they might know a little more than you do. But again, logic doesn't apply here.

I'll stick with the guys who actually play the games, go to practices, watch the films, and take their opinions over those who may have never even played football, let alone evolved past the high school level.

I'm done with the fans, and this board. I still root for and care for my Bills, it's the fans like yourselves that I am divorcing.

Across several forums Bills players are supporting the return of Dick Jauron (then again what else can they do?). What's possibly even worse is several have and continue to make claims that the are "close" to playoff material. Do they watch their own games? Do they look at their W-L record? Seriously? You go 0-6 in the division, you have not even come close to being competitive with the Patriots in nearly a decade and you think you are close?

Somewhere in this mess it would be wise for the the Bills organization to take a step back and realize that the Bills fans are not just a moronic bunch of idiots. Don't simply think that we accept incompetence. I would feel much better if the shooting was straight - Just say "Dick Jauron was not fired because we did not want to eat the cost of his extension. We know this will anger many of you but he and his staff have been given one final year to turn this thing around. If they are not successful we will seek to restructure the entire organization by bringing in a true football GM. The GM will then select a coach. Please give Dick and his staff a chance. Also, thank you for spending your hard earned money on tickets, Direct TV and merchandise. Your support is much appreciated. - The Bills"

In addition to having a football mess the Bils have a public relations fiasco on their hands. Russ brandon had better get busy on marketing.

To the players: Please just do not insult us by making comments that your play does not support. Put your entire focus on getting better and prove your personal thoughts through winning.