Consider for a moment this tactical move by RW

GG

Theres Simply 2 senarios here...

Senario #1

Fire Dick and his staff...

Lets say Dicks contract was for 2M this year

His assistants (who are under contract) each make an average of $150k (minimum ??) X 20 is 3M more

Total contractual investment for 2009 in CURRENT coaches $5Million

Hire a reasonably priced coach at $2mil and add NEW assistants for 3Mil.

Total cost for firing DICK and staff and hiring a new unknown... $10 Million Dollars.... Thats THIS year only....

Senario #2

Keep Dick and his Staff...

Lose 3k Season tickets at average $400.00 each 900k

Quick math makes me understand why it is the way it is....

Problem TRULY is that Ralph was sooo worried about renewing DJ's contract on the cheap he made a bad mistake...

Let me know if my numbers are incorrect....

good point about the timing of the extension.

Ralph locked up Dick early before he could win any playoff games and demand a bigger contract, or even move on as a free agent.

People rag on players for tanking it after a contract year -

the result is eerily similar to what happened to the bills in 2008 after Dick got his new contract.

Fat, happy and lazy

or just plain dumb

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good point about the timing of the extension.

Ralph locked up Dick early before he could win any playoff games and demand a bigger contract, or even move on as a free agent.

People rag on players for tanking it after a contract year -

the result is eerily similar to what happened to the bills in 2008 after Dick got his new contract.

Fat, happy and lazy

or just plain dumb

Seriously though. Say the Bills had managed a 10-6 record like so many thought before the season. That wouldn't have made the playoffs, all other things being the same. How does 2 winning seasons out of 8 and a full season of games under .500 lifetime translate into Dick Jauron being a "hot prospect" and hot enough that some other team is going to "steal" him? Heck, in retrospect, it would be awesome if somebody would steal him. Bills fans would even buy him the one-way ticket, I bet.

This wasn't obvious last year?!? What ever happened with the Turk Plan of "We just need to be tweakin' it"?

Thank you.

Mike Martz is looking for a job because his offense was getting his QB hammered and wasn't winning games, just like the Rams offense.

Take a look at the stats if you don't believe me, the 49ers lead the league in having their QB sacked, want to know why TE has had severe concussions this year even though he's smart, thinks fast, and has a quick release? I've said it before, I just told you why.

The element of surprise by going for large chunks of yardage when only a small chunk was needed is part of why the greatest show on turf was so successful once upon a time. The offense is predicated on going against the grain of logical thinking which can really make an OC look foolish when it doesn't work. Now, opposing defenses know if they take the big play away and realize it could come on any play, for instance the play Losman probably ruined his career on, they can stop you.

In my opinion the offense could still work, but only with an experienced and highly talented team playing at a high level and playing most of the games in good weather conditions.

So Mike Martz was fired because his offense caused his QB's to get hammered so many more times than other teams? Like Pittsburgh and NE, whose QB's were sacked just six and seven times fewer, respectively?

Your theory about why Trent got hurt with severe concussions doesn't hold water. TE was only sacked 23 times in 14 games this year, far, far fewer than the league leaders (Cassel 47, Roethlisberger 46, Garrard 42.) TE has concussions and injury problems because that is his physical makeup. Period. Not because of the offense.

All of this is getting away from the point. What specifically makes you believe that a coaching staff that failed to adequately prepare its players for games this year suddenly "gets it" and knows how to make the correct changes and adjustments to bring the offense back to life? There is NOTHING in Jauron's body of work that suggest to me that he is going to have some coaching epiphany and all of the sudden install a new system that will take advantage of our players' strengths.

Your theory about why Trent got hurt with severe concussions doesn't hold water. TE was only sacked 23 times in 14 games this year, far, far fewer than the league leaders (Cassel 47, Roethlisberger 46, Garrard 42.) TE has concussions and injury problems because that is his physical makeup. Period. Not because of the offense.

Facts suck. :worthy:

I think I'll take door number 2. Trent's concussion (singular) came because his brain got dribbled around inside his skull. Mike Martz, coaching an offense 3000 miles away, had ZERO to do with it.

Guest dog14787
Thank you.

So Mike Martz was fired because his offense caused his QB's to get hammered so many more times than other teams? Like Pittsburgh and NE, whose QB's were sacked just six and seven times fewer, respectively?

All of this is getting away from the point. What specifically makes you believe that a coaching staff that failed to adequately prepare its players for games this year suddenly "gets it" and knows how to make the correct changes and adjustments to bring the offense back to life? There is NOTHING in Jauron's body of work that suggest to me that he is going to have some coaching epiphany and all of the sudden install a new system that will take advantage of our players' strengths.

We tried to put a muzzle on a highly explosive offensive stradegy, it just doesn't work , and yes, I believe the coaching staff has come to the conclussion that we need a new offensive philosophy, its pretty obvious we have to don't you think.

Guest dog14787
Facts suck. :beer:

I think I'll take door number 2. Trent's concussion (singular) came because his brain got dribbled around inside his skull. Mike Martz, coaching an offense 3000 miles away, had ZERO to do with it.

We run the same style offense as the one thats 3000 miles away. Mike Martz developed the offense. Its failing everywhere it is being used. What part of that don't you understand?

Are you trying to tell me if we bring in a more West Coast style offense into Buffalo, you don't think it will help?

We run the same style offense as the one thats 3000 miles away. Mike Martz developed the offense. Its failing everywhere it is being used. What part of that don't you understand?

Are you trying to tell me if we bring in a more West Coast style offense into Buffalo, you don't think it will help?

No, it won't. We are a cold-weather team. We need to run a ball control, running offense and let our franchise backs carry the load.

This isn't as simple as "run the ball more" (which they also did a piss-poor job of doing). This was the OC and HC not being on the sme page about what to run. This was about the two-minute offense looking like a monkey sh-- fight at the zoo. It was about wasted timeouts, putting our speed back in short-yardage situations, not enough touches for Marshawn, etc...

By the way, whose offensive philosophy was that anyway? Jauron's? Fairchild's? Wasn't one of Schonert's main selling points that he knew the offense and was going to tweak it a little and get more guys involved in the offensive game plan?

Mike Martz is looking for work because he is an egotistical assclown who cares more about yards, rankings and stats than winning.

You got it right, I think.

I am particularly disturbed by the lack of creativity and subterfuge, in the offense. I don't mean gimmicks or trick plays. I just think the Bills are very predictable in their formations and personnel packages. It usually isn't very hard to figure out the play, once they line up.

You should be able to run most plays (with minor adjustments) from almost any formation. Why are they so bland? In the very rare instance they do anything unpredictable, it is only unpredictable because it is so fuc#ing stupid.

Now, I will admit that, overall, Turk did a better job with the offense this year, than Fairchild did last year. But, the brain cramps continued in the Red Zone, and on particularly pivotal plays, on important drives, in big games. And, when Edwards plays, they don't seem to take any shots down the field, in most games. The closest thing late in the year, was a medium long shot to Jackson...which worked well. Do they EVER use Roscoe deep?

Now, to be fair, it was Turk's first year, so there is a chance he will grow in that position...but, only if Jauron lets him. If it is true that Jauron is responsible for these horrible calls, in clutch situations, he needs to STOP making offensive calls. If he is simply shielding Turk, then he or someone, need to get to Turk ASAP, and put him on notice, that the options are, "improve quickly", or go.

He doesn't want to fire Jauron because of the contract. But since he knows that the fanbase has unequivocally turned on Jauron, an announcement of the extension will surely rile up the masses and flood OBD's voicemail and email inboxes with infuriated messages.

Seeing the full brunt of fans' reaction will force Jauron to step down on his own, since there's very little he can do before the season starts to placate the fans.

If Jauron can't even pay attention to a clock, I don't think he is going to pay any attention to email either. Jauron and Ralph are both laughing their asses off right now. Ralph for getting away with paying his "Head Coach" peanuts and Jauron for stealing another year's salary after tanking this year. They're both laughing so hard they're crying over a bottle of Sam's Club Whiskey, courtesy of Ralph.

Damn nice piece on TBD, GG. Damn nice.

If Jauron can't even pay attention to a clock, I don't think he is going to pay any attention to email either. Jauron and Ralph are both laughing their asses off right now. Ralph for getting away with paying his "Head Coach" peanuts and Jauron for stealing another year's salary after tanking this year. They're both laughing so hard they're crying over a bottle of Sam's Club Whiskey, courtesy of Ralph.

Damn nice piece on TBD, GG. Damn nice.

You know, most of us believe that DJ needs to go, and that keeping him is a bad decision by Ralph. But, to think that Ralph and Jauron are "laughing their asses off" is stupid. I'd guess Ralph is furious, and DJ is nervous and contrite. I don't think there was a lot of laughing going on, the past few days.

Guest dog14787
I understand perfectly well that you don't know what offense we run. Hint: terminology != scheme.

How about joke when describing the offense Fairchild brought here, or better yet, comedy hour. A full 60 minutes of gameday laughs at Buffalo's expense. :beer:

Guest dog14787
No, it won't. We are a cold-weather team. We need to run a ball control, running offense and let our franchise backs carry the load.

In the west coast offense short passes set up the run. Generally these passes are short, three or four yards out and if caught , the reciever runs for more yards. The short distance increases the chance of the ball being caught so its higher percentage. This helps prevent blitzing because the ball was passed in one or two seconds. Also there can be four or five receivers at any one time including tight ends, running backs and even the dump off full back. When the defense thinks pass, then you run the ball.

The West Coast offense utilizes the running game to the max in my opinion and also works well in rough weather conditions.

Oh, and it also helps protect the QB

Guest dog14787
Fair enough. We're a cold weather franchise in a mostly cold-weather division, we need to start building a team that fits the elements. We're not a dome team, so we need to stop building and practicing like one.

Or build a Dome and I know you guys don't want to get me started on that one. :beer:

Fair enough. We're a cold weather franchise in a mostly cold-weather division, we need to start building a team that fits the elements. We're not a dome team, so we need to stop building and practicing like one.

Yup.

Actually, this offense (with a tweak or two, and a competent TE and C) really should be perfect as a cold-weather smash-mouth team.

Dog, the West Coast offense is old and no longer innovative. Sure, there are elements of it that can be helpful in any offense, but the idea of setting up a traditional WC offense probably isn't a great idea for any team making a change, and certainly not for a NE team. Even if the Bills built a dome (a phenomenally bad idea, IMO) they still have to play in NE, New Jersey, and likely another game or two in bad weather. It's hard to hide from the elements in the NFL, and very few Dome teams win the SB.

Also, just because the Bills only throw short passes, doesn't make what they do a WC offense.

The best we can hope for is that Jauron learns from his mistakes, studies game planning and strategy from the Pats* and Jets losses (among others), works hard for the unwarranted extension and makes the entire coaching staff do the same. So what are the chances of that happening?

ZERO.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks....either you have it or you don't. He does NOT have it.

Well I'll give that one an Amen...

Question is what will it take to turn this Team into exactly that when it was built for the opposite? And the same Folks are in place who built it that way...

Anyone?

Anyone?... :beer:

ZERO.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks....either you have it or you don't. He does NOT have it.

I'll say 5%.

Coughlin and Gilbride are living proof that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Both dramatically changed how they approached the game. Coughlin, by toning down his worthless and divisive "Drill Sargent" routine, and Gilbride by learning how to "open up" the offense without being pass happy.

It can be done! Will it be? Not bloody likely.

Guest dog14787
Yup.

Actually, this offense (with a tweak or two, and a competent TE and C) really should be perfect as a cold-weather smash-mouth team.

Dog, the West Coast offense is old and no longer innovative. Sure, there are elements of it that can be helpful in any offense, but the idea of setting up a traditional WC offense probably isn't a great idea for any team making a change, and certainly not for a NE team. Even if the Bills built a dome (a phenomenally bad idea, IMO) they still have to play in NE, New Jersey, and likely another game or two in bad weather. It's hard to hide from the elements in the NFL, and very few Dome teams win the SB.

Also, just because the Bills only throw short passes, doesn't make what they do a WC offense.

I don't call what we do now WC by no means, However, I get the drift of what your saying, but the WC offense runs the ball allot more than you might think and it utilizes all of your weapons easier.

With Tom Brady playing for the Pats the run game is almost non existent, wouldn't you consider the Patriots offense as a variation of the WC offense?