The History of Ralph Wilson's head coaching hires.

HC # 1- BUSTER RAMSEY

PREVIOUS NFL COACHING EXPERIENCE:

None

HC # 2- LOU SABAN

Head Coach- Boston Patriots (2 yr.)

HC # 3- JOE COLLIER

None

HC # 4- HARVEY JOHNSON

None

HC # 5- JON RAUCH

Head Coach- Oakland Raiders (5 yrs.)

HC # 6- HARVEY JOHNSON

Head Coach- Buffalo Bills (1 yr.)

HC # 7- LOU SABAN

Head Coach- Boston Patriots (1 yr.)/ Buffalo Bills (3 yrs.)

HC # 8- JIM RINGO

LA Rams (1 yr)

HC # 9- CHUCK KNOX

Head Coach LA Rams (4 yrs) Record- 54-15-1

HC # 10- KAY STEPHENSON

None

HC # 11- HANK BULLOUGH

Defensive Coordinator Patriots

HC # 12- MARV LEVY

Head Coach Kansas City Chiefs (5 yrs.)

HC # 13- WADE PHILLIPS

Head Coach- Saints (1yr.) Broncos (2yrs.)

HC # 14- GREGG WILLIAMS

Defensive Coordinator Titans

HC # 15- MIKE MULARKEY

Offensive Coordinator Steelers

HC # 16- DICK JAURON

Head Coach Chicago (5 yrs.)/ Lions (5 games)

-Of his 16 hires, 8 of the coaches had previous head coaching experience.

-Of the 8 hires with previous head coaching jobs, 2 of them had an above .500 record as head coach.

So what did you learn? What does this say about whom to expect next?

Thank you very much for asking, I learned that Ralph Wilson has only splurged on 2 head coaches, John Rauch and Chuck Knox, and those were a LONG time ago. He also hired 'hot coordinators' in Mularkey and Williams. The one thing I took away from this is that Ralph Wilson Jr. is awfully erratic in his coaching hires, and if he were to fire Jauron, he could hire ANYBODY. Before Jauron was hired Marv and Ralph were battling over Mike Sherman or Dick Jauron, this shows that at least Jauron was targeting somebody with head coaching experience. I could see Ralph hiring a head coach with previous experience but not with an excellent record or a big name, ala Cowher or Billick, or a horrible one at that, Nolan. Maybe he will pursue a guy who once coached in his native Michigan, has a decent record, and has loads of experience... Steve Mariucci?

Thank you very much for asking, I learned that Ralph Wilson has only splurged on 2 head coaches, John Rauch and Chuck Knox, and those were a LONG time ago. He also hired 'hot coordinators' in Mularkey and Williams. The one thing I took away from this is that Ralph Wilson Jr. is awfully erratic in his coaching hires, and if he were to fire Jauron, he could hire ANYBODY. Before Jauron was hired Marv and Ralph were battling over Mike Sherman or Dick Jauron, this shows that at least Jauron was targeting somebody with head coaching experience. I could see Ralph hiring a head coach with previous experience but not with an excellent record or a big name, ala Cowher or Billick, or a horrible one at that, Nolan. Maybe he will pursue a guy who once coached in his native Michigan, has a decent record, and has loads of experience... Steve Mariucci?

I see what you're saying, and ultimately, I agree with your conclusion that if Jauron goes, the next HC could be anybody. I'm just wondering about how these hires were made. Keep in mind that a lot changes over 50 years. I don't know who was making the decision to hire half these people (I came of age in the Levy years), but the hires since Levy seem to be fairly easy to explain. Wade was the DC and was an obvious choice at that point (and was successful, too). Greggo was a hot coordinator who was picked by Donahoe. Same with Mularkey, whose offense was coming off a down year, but was someone who Donahoe knew from his time in Pittsburgh. Jauron was clearly Levy's choice. So, of the four post-Levy hires, I wouldn't attribute any of them directly to Wilson. This next one, however, probably will be the most Wilson-driven hire since Marv, and that is why it could be very interesting to study Wilson's tendencies.

One thing I know is that of those 16 coaches, the two most successful coaches, Saban and Levy, had a history of positional coaching on both sides of the ball, in addition to being both successful coordinators as well as successful head coaches in college.

If I were Ralph for a day, I wouldn't simply look at successful coordiators at the pro level. Number one, I want an HC that has proven abilty at the administrative level and has a track record of that. Then I want a guy that hates to lose. A coach that will not take schitt and is not afraid to get in a players face when needed. One that has emmotion and can motivate his players and take them to the next level.

I'd look for positional experience on both sides of the ball... in college and the NFL and succesfulcoordinator experience at the college level and NFL level.

Ladies and gentlemen...I'll offer one name that might be good fit... but only if Ralph is willing to clean house with every assistant in the house... including Chuck Lester, John Allaire, Bobby April, and Alex VanPelt, as well as bringing in a football guy (not John Guy) to run the pro personnel side. And then, Ralph must stop this cash to cap bullschitt and make a comittment to winning .. he just got a $15M windfall/year over the next 4 years just for taking his show on the road an hour and a half north of the Ralph.

This name I'm dropping is Paul Pasqualoni. Yeah the one that got fired at the cuse. Look at his record... he got a raw deal cuz he couldn't recruit a lot of top talent to the cuse... mostly because of the facilities to compete with other schools... which Crouthhamel wouldn't do. Then Gross builds a brand spanking new state of the art work out facility for Robinson... a coach of who reached a new level of incompetence.

I don't know what Coach P could do for the Bills... but I doubt anyone believes he would not be a significant upgrade over Jauron.

Since getting canned at the cuse, Coach P was Parcells TE coach in Dallas (Whitten and Fasano) and under Wade he moved to LBs (Ware and James), before moving onto Miami this year as defensive coordinator, and taking a defense, minus their two stars of the past decade, to a division crown.

If it were up to me, I'd make the call, but not before making the comittment to give him the support staff and the recources needed to succeed. Without providing that support system, Ralph is setting up every coach he hires, for failure.

One thing I know is that of those 16 coaches, the two most successful coaches, Saban and Levy, had a history of positional coaching on both sides of the ball, in addition to being both successful coordinators as well as successful head coaches in college.

If I were Ralph for a day, I wouldn't simply look at successful coordiators at the pro level. Number one, I want an HC that has proven abilty at the administrative level and has a track record of that. Then I want a guy that hates to lose. A coach that will not take schitt and is not afraid to get in a players face when needed. One that has emmotion and can motivate his players and take them to the next level.

I'd look for positional experience on both sides of the ball... in college and the NFL and succesfulcoordinator experience at the college level and NFL level.

Ladies and gentlemen...I'll offer one name that might be good fit... but only if Ralph is willing to clean house with every assistant in the house... including Chuck Lester, John Allaire, Bobby April, and Alex VanPelt, as well as bringing in a football guy (not John Guy) to run the pro personnel side. And then, Ralph must stop this cash to cap bullschitt and make a comittment to winning .. he just got a $15M windfall/year over the next 4 years just for taking his show on the road an hour and a half north of the Ralph.

This name I'm dropping is Paul Pasqualoni. Yeah the one that got fired at the cuse. Look at his record... he got a raw deal cuz he couldn't recruit a lot of top talent to the cuse... mostly because of the facilities to compete with other schools... which Crouthhamel wouldn't do. Then Gross builds a brand spanking new state of the art work out facility for Robinson... a coach of who reached a new level of incompetence.

I don't know what Coach P could do for the Bills... but I doubt anyone believes he would not be a significant upgrade over Jauron.

Since getting canned at the cuse, Coach P was Parcells TE coach in Dallas (Whitten and Fasano) and under Wade he moved to LBs (Ware and James), before moving onto Miami this year as defensive coordinator, and taking a defense, minus their two stars of the past decade, to a division crown.

If it were up to me, I'd make the call, but not before making the comittment to give him the support staff and the recources needed to succeed. Without providing that support system, Ralph is setting up every coach he hires, for failure.

That's exactly the type of homework I want Ralph to do here. Great read.

Thank you very much for asking, I learned that Ralph Wilson has only splurged on 2 head coaches, John Rauch and Chuck Knox, and those were a LONG time ago.

The GM has the biggest say in who the head coaching candidates are. This thread says more about the hit-n-miss quality of Ralph's front office than it does the HC...

the new coach should be someone who has NFL coaching experience at the positional or coordinator level.

Even more important, they need head coaching where they ran the entire operation and learned how to deal with more than just the x and o's.

college head coaching experience will work if they have the pro experience as well.

Kirk Ferentz is one guy who will probably be successful - including experience under Bellicheat as his OL coach.