Play-off problem solved!

Cookiemonster

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not and I do not hold out much hope for it becoming reality, but I would

really like to see the play-offs expanded to eight (8) teams per conference. With the divisional format now in place,

it makes it tougher, I belive to make the postseason. Shorten pre-season to two (2) games, expand the play-offs it by two (2) more wild card teams, and make everybody play that first weekend. You are not extending the season, and you would be sure to generate more revenue leauge wide. Some might argue that this will water down the play-offs, but it's already

dilutet pretty good, the AFC West Champion might only be .500, and the AFC East won't be much better. That way if you are in a really strong division, if you have a decent record, you still have a decent shot to make it. Heck we might have even made it a couple of times over the last several seasons.

There's nothing wrong with the NFL playoffs the way they are. Your "solution" means winning your division/having the best record in the conference doesn't have much meaning.

No thanks.

You would still have home field advantage, throughout the play-offs if you are the best in your conference.

All of us here can read both spelled numbers and numerals. You don't need to write both.

cogil must be a lawyer! :rolleyes:

Sorry, hate this idea. Six teams per conference should be the absolute max. Adding two more mediocre teams doesn't improve the tournament. If 3 AFCE teams finish this year with 10 wins and someone misses the playoffs while the AFCW champ gets in with 8 wins, so what? The AFCE had a cupcake schedule this year.

The present NFL playoff format is in a state of Zen perfection and should not be disturbed. You have to have a good year to make the playoffs which is the way it should be. If you have a great year you should be rewarded and the present format does this with the bye and the home field to the top 2 seeds. The playoffs are missable in the NHL these days, but remember when 16/21 teams got in? The was the extreme in a watered down playoffs.

cogil must be a lawyer! :rolleyes:

Sorry, hate this idea. Six teams per conference should be the absolute max. Adding two more mediocre teams doesn't improve the tournament. If 3 AFCE teams finish this year with 10 wins and someone misses the playoffs while the AFCW champ gets in with 8 wins, so what? The AFCE had a cupcake schedule this year.

No, not a lawyer, but I do get involved in contractual sh%t, good guess, I am flattered. I guess!

The NHL takes more than half their teams, I believe sixteen (16) out of thirty (30), got to be some

mediocricy there.

No, not a lawyer, but I do get involved in contractual sh%t, good guess, I am flattered. I guess!

The NHL takes more than half their teams, I believe sixteen (16) out of thirty (30), got to be some

mediocricy there.

I do my fair share of contractual stuff at work too so I wouldn't have even noticed that in your post if silvermike hadn't pointed it out!

I think the NHL takes too many teams; look how bad that Islander team was that Buffalo played a couple years ago. But the saving grace there is that it's a 7 game series so generally the cream is going to rise. Upsets are very common in the NFL and I think it diminishes the regular season when you increase the odds of them in the playoffs.

I think the current NFL Playoff system is fine. If Division winners no longer have a guarantee of making the playoffs, why have Divisions? Horrible idea, IMO. Also, 8 teams is simply too many...it will water down the playoffs like the NHL and NBA do, currently.

I agree with reducing the number of Pre-season games.

BTW, as far as your approach to writing numbers [eg. two (2)], I have no complaints. Why would anyone complain about that?

I think the current NFL Playoff system is fine. If Division winners no longer have a guarantee of making the playoffs, why have Divisions? Horrible idea, IMO. Also, 8 teams is simply too many...it will water down the playoffs like the NHL and NBA do, currently.

I agree with reducing the number of Pre-season games.

BTW, as far as your approach to writing numbers [eg. two (2)], I have no complaints. Why would anyone complain about that?

ok, I surrender, the overriding theme of replies is anti-playoff expansion, I guess, like everyone else, I just want to get there so badly, that I am resorting to anything that I can think of, to be honest, it woudn't have helped us none this year

anyway. Were going to have to do it the hard way. But I wouldn't be suprised if that happened in the not to distant future.

BTW Thanks for the support on the number thing.

There's nothing wrong with the NFL playoffs the way they are. Your "solution" means winning your division/having the best record in the conference doesn't have much meaning.

No thanks.

I agree here. If the Bills had beaten a couple of division rivals it would have been an entirely different story in the AFC East. I like it being a struggle to make the play-offs!