problems burning Bills games to DVD

DonInBuffalo

For the past few seasons, I've gotten in the routine of burning the Bills games to RW DVDs and then re-using the DVDs the next season.

My SONY DVD Recorder has a built-in "feature" where it won't record programs with the "copy-never" signal. The idea is to prevent people from burning things like PPV movies. Not a big deal for me, since had no plans to burn anything other than free programming on standard cable channels. Unfortunately, a few times this season, the last two weeks in particular, partway through the game the recording stopped, displaying a message that the signal was copy-protected. In some instances, I was able to record later portions of the game, and in other instances the entire remainder of the game was protected.

Anybody else having these sorts of issues? Is it only the HD broadcasts that have this copy-protection?

just TIVO it instead....

I'm already doing that. I record the game on my digital cable box, and then transfer to DVD later. My box holds roughly 15-20 hours of HD programming. I'm a pack-rat by nature; it's handy to have the games in case there's something I want to go back and look at later.

I'm already doing that. I record the game on my digital cable box, and then transfer to DVD later. My box holds roughly 15-20 hours of HD programming. I'm a pack-rat by nature; it's handy to have the games in case there's something I want to go back and look at later.

hmm...well, an alternative method would be to send it to a computer and then burn it to DVD from there...

hmm...well, an alternative method would be to send it to a computer and then burn it to DVD from there...
I can burn some things on my PC. I have basic cable wired to the PC, so I can burn any non-HD cable broadcast. I can capture OTA HD to my hard drive, but the version of Nero I have won't burn HD without me paying extra for some sort of add-on. I'm not going to pay for something that might end up not even working at all.

I would prefer to not use my PC to do the captures, so it's not tied up the entire game.

That's SONY for you...I record games all the time, and never have any problems...

I record using a stand alone, component, Panasonic dvd recorder. When I purchased it, the direction book warned that I might encounter the problem you are encountering, with PPV events, and things like HBO. However, I record films of PPV, HBO, Showtime, and NFL games frequently, and have had no problems. I am no tech guy, and I had a B word of a time hooking my recorder up. I seem to vaugely remember there being something in the machine settings which allows you to activate copy guard features...I could be wrong...but you might check. Why anyone would want to do this, given a choice, is beyond me...but one reason I stay away from SONY, is that it always seemed designed to cause you more headaches, with its' blasted efficiency...making products that are only compatible with other SONY products...

One issue I have had though, and maybe someone here has a clue how to get around this:

I have all of the Bills highlight films on VHS from 1980-2007, some were recorded on VHS, directly from ESPN or ESPN classic, while others were store purchased professional releases. About a year ago, I went about trying to transfer all of these from VHS to DVD, before the picture on the VHS degraded too much. Well, it was going smoothly, until I got to around 1992, and tried to copy some store baught videos. They say they have copy guard on them, and sure enough, I cannot copy them on to DVD, because of this. Funny thing is, back when VHS was the only format (and when these were produced) I used to copy the VHS all the time, with no problem.

In trying to figure this out, I copied the store baught VHS onto a blank VHS, and then tried to transfer the dubbed copy to DVD. Still no luck. Whatever copy guard they put on these old VHS was ineffective in preventing me from copying on to other VHS, but seems to work very well (even on second generation copies) against DVD technology. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around the copy guard issue on VHS?

I don't have a dvr, but I crush a lot of stuff to MPEG2 and then author a DVD.

What file format is the DVR (extension?) Is it and MPEG2, M2T (HD), or other? A file converter might be what you need.

One thing... if you are recording a program in HD format, you can't have HD on a DVD unless it is in AVCHD format... and then you can't play it on a DVD player... only bluray or PS3.

One thought... you can play it out of your dvr and either go straight to a set top dvd burner or do a video capture on your computer from the dvr if you have the capture card and a robust enough system to handle full frame HD video.

DirecTV's receivers have supported Macrovision on the analog outputs since the beginning; this is a requirement of the content providers. It is up to these providers to choose when to enable Macrovision; it can be done for a whole channel or just for a specific show. Your DVD recorder is recognizing the Macrovision encoding and doing what it's supposed to do: giving you the error.

As to why this just started happening, who knows?

You can try rebooting both devices, but otherwise, it's up to the content providers.

DirecTV's receivers have supported Macrovision on the analog outputs since the beginning; this is a requirement of the content providers. It is up to these providers to choose when to enable Macrovision; it can be done for a whole channel or just for a specific show. Your DVD recorder is recognizing the Macrovision encoding and doing what it's supposed to do: giving you the error.

As to why this just started happening, who knows?

You can try rebooting both devices, but otherwise, it's up to the content providers.

Sony as was said before has more built in protection devices than most. I have a CHEAP Magnavox DVD recorder & can make Great copies of ANYTHING (not HD but very good for SD).