Lack of talent on this team

TheBlackMamba

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. 1 Poz has only played just over a full season now. This is essentially his rookie season.

No. 2 A MLB can only excel when the DTs do their job (not really this season). We don't really have a good sub for him on obvious pass plays either

No. 3 With some decent help on the OLB position, he can do more (team game and all)

Notice how bad things got when Whitner went out. This guy is for real in his second year. A star? Probably not, but no need to replace him.

My question is about Lee Evans. I'm told every day that he is a star, but don't star receivers get open SOMETIMES? I suspect the play designs and WR coaching have something to do with this since NO ONE ever gets open downfield. I'm not going to put Evans' number on the Wall until him find a way to get open.

I like Lynch better lately since he gave up his dance routine.

Edwards might still be good. A good line can make all the difference. I'm troubled by his arm though. I haven't seen the Bills stretch the field in ages.

BTW we did address the TE position a few years ago. Unfortunately Everett got hurt twice. I would have loved to see what he could do.

DE in the first round (a scary one, please!) and OL for the next 2 picks. Sometimes drafting the best player on the board leaves far too many holes and those players can't excel w/o the foundation of good lines.

Poz sucks, he's too slow and too weak

Personally .. i think this team has playoff-caliber talent.

Especially when you stack this team up player for player with other playoff contending teams.

There are plenty of issues .. but a lack of talent is not one of them IMO

Yeah, lack of talent is not the issue---I am pretty sure we would have a few late round gems if we had coaches who were able to get these players playing well enough. Think of it this way. Would this team be 6-8 if Jeff Fisher or Bill Bellichick were coaching this team. If you answer no, then talent is not the issue. If you answer yes, then you might need to rethink your answer, because this team would be leading the division with either one of them as coaches...

At some point, the coaches need to start making their players better by putting them in positions to succeed and stop using lack of talent as a problem. The Dolphins had a "lack of talent" last year finishing 1-15. In one year a new coach and GM with a new attitude took basically the same players and turned them in to a team that will likely make the playoffs. Its not talent as much as what you are able to get out of the players you have. Unfortunately Jauron and staff have not gotten much out them this year...

Say nothing of the knee-jerk response, "Well, one can't have stars at every position." Like that somehow justifies having NO stars on the team or even having starters that aren't NFL caliber players.

It speaks volumes, really, about the loser-mentality us fans of Buffalo sports teams have.

We draft players like Poz, Whitner, Evans, etc. very high in the draft and people automatically think they're great. Poz and Whitner don't make plays, period.

People trash on McCargo...and I'm not saying he's good, but the guy made more plays last year than Poz or Whitner have this year. DiGiorgio made more plays last year than Poz has this year, backups like George Wilson and Jim Leonard have made more plays over the years than Whitner.

With the fanbase, it's always somebody else's fault. It's the scheme, it's the coaching, it's the quarterback, it's the playcalling. It's always something...except the fault of the lousy players Brandon and Co. have assembled. I'm not saying any of these 3 guys suck...but why are they given a free pass?

And to whomever called Evans "a stud." Give me a break. He's a deep threat. He's not a stud...he doesn't run anything except go patterns and digs very well. If you want a "stud" receiver look at the numbers Calvin Johnson puts up despite a sh-- group of QBs, or what Boldin and Fitzgerald have done over the years with normally lousy QBs. Does it matter what QB is throwing to Wes Welker or Dwayne Bowe? Andre Johnson hasn't had a consistent, week-to-week, good QB in his whole career...it doesn't stop him from being considered a "stud."

The Bills have solid talent at RB, the offensive line, and at corner. They're comparatively weak at WR, TE, LB, safety, and the defensive line. None of their players are superstars...why do people think they are?

My question is about Lee Evans. I'm told every day that he is a star, but don't star receivers get open SOMETIMES? I suspect the play designs and WR coaching have something to do with this since NO ONE ever gets open downfield. I'm not going to put Evans' number on the Wall until him find a way to get open.

Evans gets open plenty. It isn't his fault he doesn't have a quarterback to get him the ball.

After years of just reading here, finding that at some point someone says what I am thinking anyway. So I shall now break my silence albeit at the end of a thread that has run it's course and my voice will probably not be heard anyway.

Coaching: D- if not for the good start F, But I will give Dick another year, I just do not feel like starting over.

QB- F I will give Edwards another year, but he has been no better than JP except for the SD game, they have both sucked, and I do not feel Edwards has the arm strength for the Buffalo weather.

OL - I can live with them for another year

TE - I think Fine will be a surprise next year.

WR- Steve Johnson will emerge next year, we are ok there

DE - Schobel is fine but becoming long of tooth next year, Denny and Kelsey good in relief, top free agent and 2nd round draft pick here

DT- Go with what we got, they are ok, Free agent 3rd round depth here

OLB- Mitchell Ok for now - Ellison nothing more than a special teams player Here is where are Number one Pick Goes

ILb - Poz will be OK

SS- I can live with what we have

FS- I can live with what we have

Bad play calling and poor Quarterback Play is what shot down this season!

We are an impact OLB and good Quarterback Play away from being a Superbowl competitive team . This team does not suck as a whole, and I am in no mood to bust them up and wait another three years to start a new season off with true hope.

After years of just reading here, finding that at some point someone says what I am thinking anyway. So I shall now break my silence albeit at the end of a thread that has run it's course and my voice will probably not be heard anyway.

Coaching: D- if not for the good start F, But I will give Dick another year, I just do not feel like starting over.

QB- F I will give Edwards another year, but he has been no better than JP except for the SD game, they have both sucked, and I do not feel Edwards has the arm strength for the Buffalo weather.

DE - Schobel is fine but becoming long of tooth next year, Denny and Kelsey good in relief, top free agent and 2nd round draft pick here

OLB- Mitchell Ok for now - Ellison nothing more than a special teams player Here is where are Number one Pick Goes

ILb - Poz will be OK

We are an impact OLB and good Quarterback Play away from being a Superbowl competitive team . This team does not suck as a whole, and I am in no mood to bust them up and wait another three years to start a new season off with true hope.

It all comes down to coaching and this staff doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs with a sufficiently talented team to do so. Even if this staff found a way to get this team to the playoffs, it would find a way to make an early exit. As much as I hate to see this team start over with a whole new system, it's the only hope this team has at this point.

I have rooted for this team for forty years and Ralph has proven over and over again that he doesn't have a great desire to, is not willing to, or is incapable of bringing a Super Bowl to Buffalo(even during the "glory days" with his unwillingness to identify the team's weaknesses and take the necessary steps to compete with the NFC's more physical play). That's the sad reality that I believe most fans have come to terms with.

I have approached the past ten years with optimism about the potential of the Bills. This season has unfortunately brought the cold reality that Ralph will never bring a Super Bowl to Buffalo.

Go Bills!!!!!

It all comes down to coaching and this staff doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs with a sufficiently talented team to do so. Even if this staff found a way to get this team to the playoffs, it would find a way to make an early exit. As much as I hate to see this team start over with a whole new system, it's the only hope this team has at this point.

I have rooted for this team for forty years and Ralph has proven over and over again that he doesn't have a great desire to, is not willing to, or is incapable of bringing a Super Bowl to Buffalo(even during the "glory days" with his unwillingness to identify the team's weaknesses and take the necessary steps to compete with the NFC's more physical play). That's the sad reality that I believe most fans have come to terms with.

I have approached the past ten years with optimism about the potential of the Bills. This season has unfortunately brought the cold reality that Ralph will never bring a Super Bowl to Buffalo.

Go Bills!!!!!

Even the most optimistic among us are beginning to have serious doubts about this team ever winning the big one. Boy, is it ever a tough pill to swallow..

ILb - Poz will be OK

This coaching staff gets an F- in my view, I realize that the OC Turk Schonert, OL coach and QB coach are all rookies this year but it cost this team so many games it makes me Ill :worthy:

There is a direct relationship between the bad play calling and QB play then most think,the play calling is the main reason why the QB play went downhill. Until week 11 against the Cleveland Browns the OC had rarely called and used play action passing.

(If only the OC would stop calling the shotgun passing plays and run the Ball more) I've been stating this all year and only lately has he started to run the Ball more often. It just seems unbelievable that someone who has spent 20 years in the NFL would not understand that he doesn't have a QB the caliber of Payton Manning behind center so he needs to set up the pass with the run. Passing perhaps 15-20 times a game instead of the 30-40 times. Again like I've been saying all year the Bills have two really good running backs and they simply fail to utilize them.The OC kept forcing the 2nd string QB to throw the last few games instead of simply running the ball more often. Look at what Marshawn Lynch was able to do against the 4th ranked defense against the run in the Jets, he was owning them. With a different set of coaches this team could have finished in the playoffs this year,no doubt about it.

Personally I do feel like starting over with some coaches that actually have brains and use them.I look at Miami and Atlanta and really can't stop hoping that Ralph Wilson fires these inept coaching clowns :wallbash:

I've seen the Jets on TV several times this year and the thing that impresses me most about them is their Offensive Line. I'd take theirs over ours in a heartbeat. Ours is not bad now that we've worked out a blocking scheme to get ML some holes. They protect the QB pretty well.

I'd take their HC over ours, as well.

Same stuff, never changes. It's always the coaches, it's always the play-calling, it's always the quarterback with people around here.

All 3 can be blamed in part every season.

They have average talent at best at every position except running back and punter. They're an average team that will finish with an average record.

I want Jauron fired too...but I'm not under any illusion that this is some 12-4 team with a different coach.