No more STAR rebate checks

Albany,n.y.

Star Rebates were stupid anyway. Don't tax me just to send me some of the money back later. Now they can keep taxing me the same and just not send me the $250 dollar check. Its all a shell game that makes people who like getting shinny buttons as gifts happy.

Star Rebates were stupid anyway. Don't tax me just to send me some of the money back later. Now they can keep taxing me the same and just not send me the $250 dollar check. Its all a shell game that makes people who like getting shinny buttons as gifts happy.

Send me your checks. I like "shinny" buttons.

The thing is, it was already YOUR money. Why give a rebate check when they could have lowered the tax rate?

So when the budget got tight, they could raise your taxes by not giving you the check. It's easier to pull the rebate check than to announce what amounts to over a 10% tax increase overall or close to 14% school tax increase. Those are the #s on my house.

So when the budget got tight, they could raise your taxes by not giving you the check. It's easier to pull the rebate check than to announce what amounts to over a 10% tax increase overall or close to 14% school tax increase. Those are the #s on my house.

Exactly, we've been overtaxed all along, and now when they can't afford it they keep the money PLUS take more. Its nothing but a shell game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_.../new_york_taxes

When will it end? We need to revolt. I am not sure how ANYONE is New York State politics is ever re-elected.

Revolting is exactly what Paterson wants us to do. He's an intelligent guy. When the elected officials take enough hell from their constituents about all these crazy taxes, then the officials will finally see that they need to DO SOMETHING the next time Paterson tells them to figure out ways to make cuts. Last time the NYS Legislature convened with explicit instructions to reduce waste and make cuts, they did little more than sit around thinking about Thanksgiving turkey.

My problem with the whole thing is that many economists feel that during recessions, the need to decrease the deficit is not nearly as important as stimulating growth and avoiding stagnation. This proposal seems to be all about the deficit and I'm not sure this is the best time for that.

It will be interesting to see how much of this budget goes through in the end.

It will be interesting to see how much of this budget goes through in the end.

My guess is very little. The unions in NYS are too powerful and the political sytsem is broken. The most troublesome for me though is that not enough New Yorkers get off of their lazy asses and vote.

My guess is very little. The unions in NYS are too powerful .

That's a huge voting block, and I will wager they have a voter turn out of 90%+. Why not? They have a huge stake in who wins.

And the Indians, let them kick in to this huge money gobbling tax machine that is NYS gov't. Time for everyone to share the pain, no more free rides