An Alternate Theory on Jauron's "Extension"

MRM33064

The more we hear, and the more vague the reports are about what was actually signed, the more I tend to believe that they've essentially come to an agreement on an amicable divorce with Jauron.

It sure sounds like what happened was that there was general consensus on the terms of an extension back when the team was 5-1 but those terms weren't formalized. It wouldn't surprise me if those terms were something like "1 year extension that turns to 3 years if the Bills make the playoffs in 2008." Then, the unthinkable happened - "ICEBERG, DEAD AHEAD!" - which then put both parties into the quandry of having "agreed" on something in a "kinda/sorta" or "term sheet" level that didn't really make sense anymore under the actual circumstances. The Bills won't make the playoffs in 2008 (rendering the incentive irrelevant), and no NFL coach wants to operate under a 1 year deal (making it a deal that Jauron presumably wouldn't have agreed to without an accompanying incentive). Thus, the "deal" didn't really make sense for either party anymore.

All this being the case, and given that Uncle Ralphy tends to be a "business is business" kind of guy when it comes to these things (see: Wade Phillips), Ralphy probably re-tendered a contract to Dick with those EXACT old terms - 1 year with a 3 year bump if the Bills make the playoffs in 2008. Dick, seeing which way the wind is blowing, figured he'd better get-while-the-gettin's-good and sign the deal, knowing it means he'll be at least paid for 1 year. Net result: Dick gets a year severance without having to fight Ralphy, Ralphy gets to say he honored his word (by giving the same contract he "agreed to" at 5-1) with minimal financial exposure, and the fans get their wish when Dick is terminated at year end.

My guess - Dick basically signed a one-year deal, and he'll be out in 3 weeks. Thoughts?

The more we hear, and the more vague the reports are about what was actually signed, the more I tend to believe that they've essentially come to an agreement on an amicable divorce with Jauron.

It sure sounds like what happened was that there was general consensus on the terms of an extension back when the team was 5-1 but those terms weren't formalized. It wouldn't surprise me if those terms were something like "1 year extension that turns to 3 years if the Bills make the playoffs in 2008." Then, the unthinkable happened - "ICEBERG, DEAD AHEAD!" - which then put both parties into the quandry of having "agreed" on something in a "kinda/sorta" or "term sheet" level that didn't really make sense anymore under the actual circumstances. The Bills won't make the playoffs in 2008 (rendering the incentive irrelevant), and no NFL coach wants to operate under a 1 year deal (making it a deal that Jauron presumably wouldn't have agreed to without an accompanying incentive). Thus, the "deal" didn't really make sense for either party anymore.

All this being the case, and given that Uncle Ralphy tends to be a "business is business" kind of guy when it comes to these things (see: Wade Phillips), Ralphy probably re-tendered a contract to Dick with those EXACT old terms - 1 year with a 3 year bump if the Bills make the playoffs in 2008. Dick, seeing which way the wind is blowing, figured he'd better get-while-the-gettin's-good and sign the deal, knowing it means he'll be at least paid for 1 year. Net result: Dick gets a year severance without having to fight Ralphy, Ralphy gets to say he honored his word (by giving the same contract he "agreed to" at 5-1) with minimal financial exposure, and the fans get their wish when Dick is terminated at year end.

I agree. A deal has been made...NOT an extension, but - as you say - the terms for an amicanle divorce.

Something about the ay DJ stepped up to take the fall for that disastrous call makes me feel he is going to play the Bad Guy until year's end, getting some kind of payout for it from Ralph. I just can't believe that crafty old Ralph is dumb enouhg to think fans would "accept" any more time with Dick as HC or those morons in the front office, especially Modrak and Guy.

I have to beiliebe, for my own sanity, that when Ralph said "we don't have the talent" he was condemning the above-named tw imbeciles and, though he would like to keep Dick, he knows he is a horrible game day coach and knows the fans have trned on him.

I have to believe this, not only because it makes sense, but because it is the only way I can stay interested.

My guess - Dick basically signed a one-year deal, and he'll be out in 3 weeks. Thoughts?

Something dont add up. Shefter is reporting he signed, Chris Brown of BB.com says no. Id trust someone within the org then outside.

But if it is a done deal it wont shock me cause of our phuck tard of an owner......

I'm not doubting you, but I haven't seen Chris Brown commenting on this. Did you read this or hear him?

The more we hear, and the more vague the reports are about what was actually signed, the more I tend to believe that they've essentially come to an agreement on an amicable divorce with Jauron...

(quote]

My thoughts are that Jauron signed an extension when the team was hot, 5-2-0 at worst, and was told that the Bills organization does not disclose coaches contract information, so Dick has been elusive. There may not be any official confirmations of this extension even if the Bills were 11-3-0 right now instead of 6-8-0, for all we know. This is just my best guess, and it may or may not be true. I honestly think Wilson is just as shocked as any of us sports writers out here that the team has tanked so badly, and I have no doubts that he will either eat the extension and fire Jauron, or instruct Dick to fire both Turk and Perry if he's still as cheap as ever and won't eat the contract. Either way, look for new coordinators at the very least, and maybe even a new whatever he's called to replace Modrak.

I'd rather see John Guy get the boot first before Modrak

Excellent point, I forgot about him, and he's the one most responsible for signing Derek Dockery instead of Damien Woody, and signing Kiwaka Mitchell instead of Joey Porter, little decisions like that. Now that you mention it, he should be the first to go!