Labor Unions

K-9

Look at their history from the late 1880's to the early 1900's and you'll see why labor unions were formed and what they accomplished. If the fat cat business owners gave a :doh: about their employees then unions never would have been necessary but the fat cats were big time A-holes and it's only legislation that keeps them from being A-holes now.

And a more stablized world geo-politically with modern transportation systems have doomed labor union... Bascially, one can just go to some far away place to take advantage of labor... Out of sight, out of mind.

<_<

They still are... If not more... In other countries...

And yes, I agree labor unions may not be needed here anymore... But, they are needed in developing countries.

Those working conditions still happen here in the U.S. Not just a developing country issue.

My point, as it relates to your response is, if you maintain that unions are necessary in the absence of basic working rights, then those basic rights need to be defined specifically. Thus, my question to you: what ARE basic working rights?

There are no "rights" when it comes to work. Last I checked, the constitution doesn't contain provisions for "30 dollars an hour and 3 weeks paid vacation."

There are no "rights" when it comes to work. Last I checked, the constitution doesn't contain provisions for "30 dollars an hour and 3 weeks paid vacation."

Not every union worker receives $30 per hour and three weeks vacation. Most don't.