Lee Evans vs Steve Smith

on the mnf pre game show ronde barber said that steve smith and randy moss are two of the only receivers that teams have to gameplan for. Going into the 3rd quarter tonight he as 8 grabs for 108 and a td. Teams supposedly gameplan for lee evans and he hasnt had nearly the production of steve smith. They are both the same small, burner type of receiver and i dont feel that lee evans is in steve smiths' class. Say what you want about the quarterback or the play calling of the bills vs the panthers but tonight is proof that GREAT players find ways to make plays.

Steve Smith has what most NFL players don't. Heart and determination. No matter a run or a pass you will always see Steve doing his job 100%. Lee evans is a very good receiver in this league but he lacks the heart and determination. The great players like steve smith will find a way to produce. Have the Bills ever tried to put Evans in the slot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans can do everything that you see with Smith. If we had a QB who called the shots, or a an OC that trusted JP with the freedom with audibles, you'd see similar stuff.

I'm sure people will flame me, and thats fine, I'm going off a hunch and you have stats to prove me wrong. I will continue to make excuses for Lee Evans because it's simply not fair to compare him to Smith. We don't effectively run an offense.

We don't use the run to setup the pass. We ignore all that crap and try to out smart ourselves, and the results year in and year out is Lee Evans with slightly above average stats.

Is Lee Evans as good as Steve Smith? Who knows. We aren't as good as Carolina. Who knows what Smith would do if his QB was protected as poorly as ours have been over the years or if their running game was as bad. Did I mention that the Bills were bad? Just want to make sure I get that in there some where.

Is Lee Evans as good as Steve Smith? Who knows. We aren't as good as Carolina. Who knows what Smith would do if his QB was protected as poorly as ours have been over the years or if their running game was as bad. Did I mention that the Bills were bad? Just want to make sure I get that in there some where.

I think you're right. And the more I think about this thread the more I regret my involvement in it. How pointless.

Is someone going to start a Jerry Rice vs. Andre Reed thread now? I mean seriously, Steve Smith is a very good threat on a team that has never won a superbowl. Lee Evans is a very good threat on a team that has never been to the playoffs. It really is comparing apples to oranges, save their size.

1. Here are his avg stats during your fabled 7 game run to end the season: 6.8 catches, 67.57 ypg, 9.9 ypc and 1 TD. What a joke...thats productive for Steve Smith? Supreme to Evans? Those numbers are inflated by one game too. If you take out his one game that was truly prodcutive, his numbers for the other 6 are like this: 6.33 catches, 56 ypg, 8.85 ypc, 0 TD...pathetic!

Think about what you said... if Evans had those #s we would be saying he's the 2nd coming. Can you tell me the last time Evans averaged 7 catches in 7 games? Please, I would love to know.

Next throw in Matt Freaking Moore as QB. Case closed as Matt Moore would be lucky if Evans averaged 3-4 catches a game. Evans does not get nearly the separation as Smith, he doesn't run the middle of field.

Matt Moore, nuff said...

Think about what you said... if Evans had those #s we would be saying he's the 2nd coming. Can you tell me the last time Evans averaged 7 catches in 7 games? Please, I would love to know.

Next throw in Matt Freaking Moore as QB. Case closed as Matt Moore would be lucky if Evans averaged 3-4 catches a game. Evans does not get nearly the separation as Smith, he doesn't run the middle of field.

Matt Moore, nuff said...

One, smith didn't avg 7 catches a game as you claim...two, I already showed you that if you take one game in the 7 game span, he avg 5 catches and 50 yards a game under Moore with no TD’s...so give it up already...geezus. Smiths stats were AWFUL under Moore and Carr...If we threw 15 passes a game at Evans that were 4 yards at a time with Rob Johnson he would average 6+ catches a game and 60 yards too…

Not to mention the # of catches stat in Steve Smiths case here during that run is so MEANINGLES…HE WAS AVERAGING 50 YARDS A GAME ON THOSE! they were all short dump offs at the line of scrimmage and most came in garbage time when Carolina was blown out and the DB’s were playing back to prevent the deep ball…my grandma could catch those short dump offs at the line of scrimmage with the DB playing 10 yards off the line…

And why on earth do you keep focusing on a 7 game stretch to begin with? Last I checked teams played 16 games...

This is the dumbest argument I have seen in a while...Evans has never had what Smith has had around him...ever...Smith is a great talent, but to say Evans doesnt come close is absurd. Smith is a better blocker which gives him the nod on the better WR in my book, but its a close race for Evans.

Put Evans in as the #1 WR in Dallas, NE, Indy, NO, Phi, Sea, Den, GB, NYJ, NYG, AZ, etc, and he would be a top 10 wideout every year...specifically in AZ, NE, Indy, NO, Phi, or Dallas he would probably be top 5 as a #1 WR...

Matt Moore, nuff said...

The best part about your failed argument is the complete disregard for the completely different gameplan in Car and Buff. In Car last year, they CONTINUALLY tried to force the ball to Steve Smith constantly throwing to him, covered or not...in Buffalo, we look to pass to Evans (even to pass down field in general) half as much as Carolina was looking to pass to Smith last year as they couldnt run the ball either. Evans doesnt get nearly the same amount of targets and FEWER chances to catch a pass...

So instead of asking when was the last time Evans avg 6+ catches a game (2006 for Evans during first 7 weeks where he avg 6 since you wanna pick stretches of a season instead of a whole season)....what you should be asking is when was the last time the Buffalo coaching staff came out and said Evans is the key to our game and we are going to make the effort to get him 7 touches a game?

It can go on for hours only in a message board...if this was an NFL team discussing bringing in Evans if he was available, they would jump all over it and be foaming at the mouth.

Evans is a good receiver, but I think Reed is more reliable. I don't think he is multi-dimensional by any means and wouldn't be as good as Reed or Parrish in the slot. Evans has good straight line speed and runs decent routes, but he isn't an all pro by any means. I think we overpaid for him. If I was a defensive coordinator, he's not the player I'd worry about.

I don't think he is multi-dimensional by any means and wouldn't be as good as Reed or Parrish in the slot.

You either really hate Evans or are overrating Parrish in a HUGE way. I don't care which WR position Evans lines up at, he is 10x the player Roscoe will ever be. Parrish is nothing more than a kick returner and a borderline #4 or #5 WR at best.

You either really hate Evans or are overrating Parrish in a HUGE way. I don't care which WR position Evans lines up at, he is 10x the player Roscoe will ever be. Parrish is nothing more than a kick returner and a borderline #4 or #5 WR at best.

Trust me- I'm not known for overrating Parrish- he's just a better cutback guy. Both guys are what they are and bluntly, so is the team

The best part about your failed argument is the complete disregard for the completely different gameplan in Car and Buff. In Car last year, they CONTINUALLY tried to force the ball to Steve Smith constantly throwing to him, covered or not...in Buffalo, we look to pass to Evans (even to pass down field in general) half as much as Carolina was looking to pass to Smith last year as they couldnt run the ball either. Evans doesnt get nearly the same amount of targets and FEWER chances to catch a pass...

So instead of asking when was the last time Evans avg 6+ catches a game (2006 for Evans during first 7 weeks where he avg 6 since you wanna pick stretches of a season instead of a whole season)....what you should be asking is when was the last time the Buffalo coaching staff came out and said Evans is the key to our game and we are going to make the effort to get him 7 touches a game?

interesting point - i don't know the numbers for last year/2006, but this year's targets: (passes thrown to)

Lee Evans: 85 in 13 games = ~6.5 targets / game

Steve Smith: 104 in 10 games = 10.4 targets / game

stats courtesy of: http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/ta...esthrownto.html

yes, folks, steve smith has more catches than lee evans. a good reason is probably because he gets the ball thrown to him 4 more times a game...

for the record, i think steve smith at this point in his career is a better receiver than lee evans. i still love me some lee, though.

Let me tell you this, when Matt Freaking Moore is involved with your games you have no shot. Matt Moore played in 8 games, Matt Moore that was undrafted.

So your next argument is that Moore wasn't in all those games, but Vinny Testeverde? Did you know he was 44 years old last year? How about the great David Carr? You see you are making excuses, and yes if you average 6.8 catches you average 7 catches a game. They taught you rounding up in school didn't they? Let's give you the benefit of the doubt, tell me the last time Evans averaged 6.8 catches a game with a 44 yr old who no one signed, a bust, and the 3rd QB who was undrafted. Tell me how Evans would do.

Exactly.

My point is Smith is not in the same league as Evans, he is so far superior in every way. Evans is not physical, and he plays that way. You never see him go over the middle and one time I saw him run a slant towards the middle with JP and and he stopped and JP threw a pick. He's soft.

Put Evans in Car and he becomes #2 to Mohammed. Put Smith here and he's #1 and makes Trent a much better QB who has options up the middle. Evans is not as great as you think, but he is pretty good. He wouldn't be #1 if TJ Housh was here if that give you any indication as he's not tough enough.

Let me ask you this, if you ran a slant for 1st down how many other players would you put over Evans to make that play slanting to the middle? I would say at least 20. He's a 1b receiver, that's about it. He doesn't take over a game. He's a better version of Devery Henderson.

Let me tell you this, when Matt Freaking Moore is involved with your games you have no shot. Matt Moore played in 8 games, Matt Moore that was undrafted.

So your next argument is that Moore wasn't in all those games, but Vinny Testeverde? Did you know he was 44 years old last year? How about the great David Carr? You see you are making excuses, and yes if you average 6.8 catches you average 7 catches a game. They taught you rounding up in school didn't they? Let's give you the benefit of the doubt, tell me the last time Evans averaged 6.8 catches a game with a 44 yr old who no one signed, a bust, and the 3rd QB who was undrafted. Tell me how Evans would do.

Exactly.

My point is Smith is not in the same league as Evans, he is so far superior in every way. Evans is not physical, and he plays that way. You never see him go over the middle and one time I saw him run a slant towards the middle with JP and and he stopped and JP threw a pick. He's soft.

Put Evans in Car and he becomes #2 to Mohammed. Put Smith here and he's #1 and makes Trent a much better QB who has options up the middle. Evans is not as great as you think, but he is pretty good. He wouldn't be #1 if TJ Housh was here if that give you any indication as he's not tough enough.

Let me ask you this, if you ran a slant for 1st down how many other players would you put over Evans to make that play slanting to the middle? I would say at least 20. He's a 1b receiver, that's about it. He doesn't take over a game. He's a better version of Devery Henderson.

This post you just made shows how dumb your earlier post was as you just flip flopped...your original argument was that Smith was light years better becasue even with a bad quarterback he put up huge numbers, which I clearly showed you he absolutely did not.

Now you are using the bad quarterbacking to justify his bad numbers when your original argument was that he never had bad numbers with bad quarterbacks which is your entire basis on why Evans was a bumb and Smith was a god.

I am tired of demolishing your lousy unjustified posts for you just to flip flop with more jibberish...my guess is that you either a kid who doesnt know football, or you are intellectually football challenged...neither is worth further engaging in more pointless conversation you clearly know nothing about. Especially now that you are flip flopping and trying to find any bone to throw to try and validate an absurd statement.

I can assure you that there is not a GM in this league that would not love to have Evans and that if he was the # 1 option on a team like AZ, Dall, Phi, NE, Indy, etc that he would be top 5 in the league statistically.

For the record, I already said Smith was the better WR as he is a more effective blocker, but the drop off from Smith to Evans is small, but I would still take Evans over Smith as he is a way better teammate and almost just as good.

And I already showed you in 2006 that over a 7 game stretch Evans avergaged 6 catches a game...so quit the lame statement that he never has...

Bottom line is that Steve Smith is targeted 40%...YES THAT SAYS FORTY PERCERNT MORE PER FREAKING GAME THAN EVANS...gee, I wonder why he has less catches...big mystery...funny, Lee averages more than 2 yards per catch more than Smith too and has almost as many yards despite crappy QB play in Buffalo and having 40% less passes thrown to him...

This post you just made shows how dumb your earlier post was as you just flip flopped...your original argument was that Smith was light years better becasue even with a bad quarterback he put up huge numbers, which I clearly showed you he absolutely did not.

No you didn't. Test, Moore, and Carr, nuff said. It shows you don't know what a flip-flop is.

Now you are using the bad quarterbacking to justify his bad numbers when your original argument was that he never had bad numbers with bad quarterbacks which is your entire basis on why Evans was a bumb and Smith was a god.

Never said his numbers were bad. I never said that so you don't know what you are talking about. You haven't answered any direct challenge with proof. Your words are GARBAGE without proof. You have no proof, so what are your words? You guessed it... Show me where Evans EVER averaged 6.8 catches in 7 games EVER.

I can assure you that there is not a GM in this league that would not love to have Evans and that if he was the # 1 option on a team like AZ, Dall, Phi, NE, Indy, etc that he would be top 5 in the league statistically.

AZ? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Boldin and Fitz would be #1 here, maybe even Breaston. Dallas? Williams and Owens would be #1 here. Philly? That rook has played better. NE? Welker and Moss would be #1. Indy? Wayne, Harrison, would be #1. You have no idea what you are talking about. Evans would be a #1 on probably 10 teams in the league, teams like Miami (maybe), Saints, Raiders, and Vikings.

And I already showed you in 2006 that over a 7 game stretch Evans avergaged 6 catches a game...so quit the lame statement that he never has...

Since you won't accept 6.8 is rounded up to 7 in math schools worldwide, show me where he averaged 6.8. That was my statement and 6 doesn't equal = 6.8 which is seen as 7. Evans has NEVER DONE IT. Stop trying to lie.

Bottom line is that Steve Smith is targeted 40%...YES THAT SAYS FORTY PERCERNT MORE PER FREAKING GAME THAN EVANS...gee, I wonder why he has less catches...big mystery...funny, Lee averages more than 2 yards per catch more than Smith too and has almost as many yards despite crappy QB play in Buffalo and having 40% less passes thrown to him...

I'll tell you what, you show me where Evans goes over the middle and makes himself available to be smashed to give the QB more options and I'll concede. I'll wait, because he doesn't. Evans doesn't play the middle and is not tough. I've never seen anyone consider a WR to be a #1 who won't play over the middle. If Evans was willing to do the things Smith does I'm sure he would be targeted more.

Also, when Andre Goodman, CB on the Dolphins, a pick-up out of FA who has been nothing, blankets your #1 and has 2 PDs because there is no separation you can't possibly tell me that would happen with Smith would you? I watched that game and Evans was getting so separation from a no-name CB Goodman.