I won't try to figure out why we chose Oman over Hillis

I wonder what this guy will do to us? Another gaffe by our front office. If you missed the highlights from a few weeks back, maybe even more impressive than his running is his pass catching. Starts at 3:26 mark. Earlier on in the vid he shows his special teams talent.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dolphins...s-17/1066442776

I wonder what this guy will do to us? Another gaffe by our front office. If you missed the highlights from a few weeks back, maybe even more impressive than his running is his pass catching. Starts at 3:26 mark. Earlier on in the vid he shows his special teams talent.

And why did we, along with 31 other teams (that all had three chances) take Chris Ellis over Steve Slaton? Everybody who knows even a little about college football knew Steve Slaton was nasty in college. Everybody predicted him to be just a third down back; but we already had our workhorse, and our 2nd stringer for that matter.

What happened? Slaton has more yards than every RB in the AFC other than two (Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones). More than LT. More than Addai. More than Willie Parker. On an unrelated though, who thought a rookie and thomas jones would lead the AFC this year after week 13?

Translation: the draft is a crapshoot. Obviously, you know this, but it happens every year. Its hard to predict these guys, even if they are pretty obvious and had a stellar college career, like Slaton.

For every Slaton or Pey there is a Ron Dayne. It happens.

...and there are 31 teams that wish they had spent a 7th rd. draft pick on Jason Peters.. hindsight is 20/20.

A gaffe...about a 6th round pick? <_<

I know the draft is always a gamble, but looking at films and the competition they played in college, how is it not obvious Hillis had way more upside than Oman?!

Missing on any pick, 6th round etc. IS A gaffe...the Giants and others don't accept 6th rd misses.

Plus who couldn't use a talented guy to groom as a an running fullback/backup rb/te etc. Shanahan said this kid could be a Dallas Clark type.

We'll see...

I like his attitude especially for a 7th rd rook!

"The thing that really got me going was the ESPN analysis and they were all saying we shouldn't get off the plane," Hillis said. "That really got me fired up."

Ok, what a silly post...I mean really. The glaring issue I have with this post is that Hillis would not even have 1 carry this year on the Bills...he didnt even sniff the field in Denver until injuries happened. Last I checked, we had 2 dynamic running backs who have been healthy all year in Lynch and Jackson...so how exactly is Oman supposed to put up Hillis type numbers if he gets no real game time, no time with the first unit and wont unless some injurys happen?

The real question is what would Oman be doing right now if he was in Denver as the starting RB over Hillis? I bet you he would be doing just as good, if not better. He is buried on our depth chart, just like Hillis was until he got a shot due to injuries. The kid has a lot of upside and can run and catch, he just wont get that chance buried on the depth chart in Buffalo unless some people start getting hurt.

And how is Oman exactly a bust? He plays behind two RB's that are pretty darn good and he is a rookie, so he isnt going to be stealing any time from them.

The best part about this is the fact that Hillis wouldnt even be a name anyone even knew if it were not for the FOUR RB's AHEAD of him getting hurt. So, guess that made Hillis a bust too until he got a chance to play by the way its being suggested Oman is a bust here.

Did it ever occur to anyone that we drafted Oman as a replacement next year for Jackson as the front office is probably pretty sure a talent like him will leave for a starting opportunity? So rather than hope to find a project RB in next years draft as a rookie behind Lynch, they took a guy this year who they saw potential in to sit and learn so he is ready for next season?

Your reply is silly because you didn't even understand my original post.

Plus where did I say Oman is a bust?

I mentioned pass catching first and foremost with Hillis.

I think Brandon Jacobs proved even last year you keep on the lookout for guys that size who can run.

Like we couldn't use a fullback who can do what this kid does.

He had over 100 yards rec as a fb against the fins.

And how do you know Denver wouldn't have given him more carries as the season progressed in his rookie year even without injuries?

We use ML and FJ on the field at the same time.

You don't know they wouldn't have just as you don't know Oman would have produced in Denver.

I'm not saying he will not go back to fullback, but even then he's proven a weapon. Nothing against Oman I'd like him to succeed because he's on our team, but I don't see him having the success Hillis will have if he stays healthy simply because the physical talent is greater.

Wow, it would be really nice to have a Fullback on the roster that we could use as more of an offensive weapon. Mcintyre does well at what he is asked to do, but it would be nice add an offensive threat.

Bigger question! Why did we waste a late round pick on a Running Back when we had three healthy young RB's and when we needed a lot of depth at other positions?

Wow, it would be really nice to have a Fullback on the roster that we could use as more of an offensive weapon. Mcintyre does well at what he is asked to do, but it would be nice add an offensive threat.

Bigger question! Why did we waste a late round pick on a Running Back when we had three healthy young RB's and when we needed a lot of depth at other positions?

This is a more appropriate question...we had other needs ahead of RB, thats for sure. But Oman is a talent with lots of potential...just not gonna be a chance for him to show it unless some peeps start getting hurt.

Your reply is silly because you didn't even understand my original post.

Plus where did I say Oman is a bust?

I mentioned pass catching first and foremost with Hillis.

I think Brandon Jacobs proved even last year you keep on the lookout for guys that size who can run.

Like we couldn't use a fullback who can do what this kid does.

He had over 100 yards rec as a fb against the fins.

And how do you know Denver wouldn't have given him more carries as the season progressed in his rookie year even without injuries?

We use ML and FJ on the field at the same time.

You don't know they wouldn't have just as you don't know Oman would have produced in Denver.

I'm not saying he will not go back to fullback, but even then he's proven a weapon. Nothing against Oman I'd like him to succeed because he's on our team, but I don't see him having the success Hillis will have if he stays healthy simply because the physical talent is greater.

My point was, you cant sit back and say this guy is better than that guy when only one guy has had a chance to play. Hillis is running in a system that makes EVERY RB into a star, even Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, etc...have all succeeded there and stunk every where else...So, Hillis is just as likely a product of that system as he is talented. Have you seen Oman play? The kid has potential, and I can honestly say that I think he would excel in that Denver system which is perfect for his running game.

Missing on any pick, 6th round etc. IS A gaffe...the Giants and others don't accept 6th rd misses.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say teams "don't accept" 6th round misses. What happens when their 6th round pick doesn't pan out (as happens all the time)? Do they fire their GMs? Or just give them a stern talking to?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say teams "don't accept" 6th round misses. What happens when their 6th round pick doesn't pan out (as happens all the time)? Do they fire their GMs? Or just give them a stern talking to?

I think what he means is that all other teams aside from buffalo never miss on their 6th round picks. He also means that Denver knew Hillis would be so good that they waited until the 6th round to grab him.

And of course, Denver doesn't have a history of turning absolutely anyone into a 1,000 yard back or anything. But lets pretend liek Hillis would come to the bills and do the exact same thing. <_<

And for years I have said that the Bills should run the ball more like the Broncos. With Smaller more agile offensive linemen. You dont have to be a brute to open a hole. you can use quickness and agility to get in the right position. Obviously, Denver has turned some no-names into 1300 yd guys. Wouldn't it be nice to have a line that can block like that, and oh by the way, Denver can run a screen pass as well. It takes guys who can move to get out in front and actually block somebody....