Coaches with Experience

silvermike

I'd be very interested in getting behind Raheem Morris as HC of the Bills next year. Of all the non-Cowher options, I think he gives us the best chance to win a Super Bowl.

However, it's gotten to the point where I don't even care about the Super Bowl. I just want the team to not be a f-ing joke for the next three or four years. I'd be shocked if Marty Schottenheimer couldn't get us to 10-6 with a playoff berth and a first round exit, which sounds like the glory days compared to what we've had lately.

But he's an intensely frustrating coach, and we would unquestionably be outcoached in big games. But it'd just be nice to play in one first before looking to a replacement.

I feel the same way. I'd rather watch the Bills go one and done in the playoffs than continue to suffer through these sub-par seasons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very interested in getting behind Raheem Morris as HC of the Bills next year. Of all the non-Cowher options, I think he gives us the best chance to win a Super Bowl.

However, it's gotten to the point where I don't even care about the Super Bowl. I just want the team to not be a f-ing joke for the next three or four years. I'd be shocked if Marty Schottenheimer couldn't get us to 10-6 with a playoff berth and a first round exit, which sounds like the glory days compared to what we've had lately.

But he's an intensely frustrating coach, and we would unquestionably be outcoached in big games. But it'd just be nice to play in one first before looking to a replacement.

The problem that I see is that a guy like Morris, if he doesn't get a head coaching gig this year, will no doubt become Tampa's DC in 2009 (replacing Kiffin who's leaving to help coach his son's team) and in turn become the top head coaching candidate for 2010. We Bills fans will be first round wildcard losers in 2009 with a guy like Marty but knowing full well that he will never be able to deliver the Bills beyond a wildcard game much less a Superbowl team. This team needs to really think outside the box and take a big chance on a young coach like Morris. This may be the only time the Bills have a chance at nailing down a real gem that they will never get once their names become household. The Bills will have no shot at Morris next year. Just like they have absolutely no shot at getting the Giants DC this year, who would have taken the Bills job this year if they did the right thing and fire Jauron after the 2007 season ending tank job.

What exactly is there to base this on? Best chance at a Super Bowl? Not only is this guy not an experienced head coach, he is not even an experienced defensive coordinator. The guy is a DB coach and now all of a sudden he is the missing ingredient in getting us to the super bowl?

This guy is being all hyped up over a news article...if it wasnt for that article, most people wouldnt even know who he is. By the way...DJ is a coach the players say they love to play for...in fact, there are a lot of coaches who dont succeed despite the players loving to play for them, even busting their butts for them.

That is because there is more to coaching than player motivation/relations. The guy needs to know how to win games, strategize and game plan, make adjustments in game, handle internal issues, manage the game clock, run practice, deal with the media, make player decisions, determine starters on both D and O, in others words...run a whole team, not just a small piece of the defensive unit.

Im not saying he cant do it, but some silly article doesnt make him a great HC or mean he knows how to manage a game. In fact, in every instance lately where we have tried to find that new trendy pic (all who had more experience than him and were more highly touted than him) didnt pan out so well.

Im personally tired of gambling on the inexperienced, unproven guy...we have a YOUNG team and we need a proven, established, leader to come in here and develop this team...not some young guy learning on the fly just like our young players.

Why don't we promote Bobby April and give him a shot. The guy built a dominate special teams unit and we know of another former special teams coach who seemed to do well.

I could support an in house transition like this because he knows this team, is highly respected by the players, fiery, and considered the best at what he does. I still prefer an established coach though, I mean he is a special teams coach after all, so it leaves a lot of unknowns on how well he could manage a game as a HC, make adjustments, etc.

What exactly is there to base this on? Best chance at a Super Bowl? Not only is this guy not an experienced head coach, he is not even an experienced defensive coordinator. The guy is a DB coach and now all of a sudden he is the missing ingredient in getting us to the super bowl?

This guy is being all hyped up over a news article...if it wasnt for that article, most people wouldnt even know who he is. By the way...DJ is a coach the players say they love to play for...in fact, there are a lot of coaches who dont succeed despite the players loving to play for them, even busting their butts for them.

That is because there is more to coaching than player motivation/relations. The guy needs to know how to win games, strategize and game plan, make adjustments in game, handle internal issues, manage the game clock, run practice, deal with the media, make player decisions, determine starters on both D and O, in others words...run a whole team, not just a small piece of the defensive unit.

Im not saying he cant do it, but some silly article doesnt make him a great HC or mean he knows how to manage a game. In fact, in every instance lately where we have tried to find that new trendy pic (all who had more experience than him and were more highly touted than him) didnt pan out so well.

Im personally tired of gambling on the inexperienced, unproven guy...we have a YOUNG team and we need a proven, established, leader to come in here and develop this team...not some young guy learning on the fly just like our young players.

I don't know why you're getting on Silver's case, I've been the one guy trying to getting Morris' name out there.

Did you know that Mike Tomlin was never a defensive coordinator? In fact he had the same position that Morris holds at Tampa when he was hired by the Steelers, secondary coach. The Steelers smartly decided to hire a guy that was an authentic football coach. Is that what Raheem Morris is? Well you're right in that we have not much to go on but an article, but that doesn't mean that he can be dismissed as not being the real deal.

I'm not going to apologize if I do take Monte Kiffin and Rhonde Barber at their word on this guy's future as a football coach. Two guys, brilliant football coach and a current player who's had a great career. These guy's glowing support should at least be enough for the Bills to take a serious interest in him as a potential head coach.

The Bills should smartly do what the Steelers did and hire an authentic football coach. We know what we get with an NFL retread...no excitement, no direction, no creativity. Is that what you want? How about the Bills hire a guy that truly will light a fire under this team like the rookie coaches in Miami and Atlanta have done who by the way were never NFL coordinators but positional coaches when then were hired.

Tired of gambling on inexperienced coaches? Since when was Dick Jauron considered an inexperienced coach after having spent 5 years in Chicago?

This team needs a guy who can in fact elevate the players' passion on this team. A retread will not do that. A guy like Morris would actually do that. If former positional coaches can change doormats like the Falcons and the Dolphins, there's no reason why a no frills tough guy like Morris couldn't do the same thing here.

Here's the situation, I think. Coaches that have been fired, were fired for a reason. They're decent, but they're not the kinds of guys who are that likely to suddenly discover that they're great coaches. They're pretty good to average coaches. Obviously, there are exceptions for guys who left voluntarily (Cowher, Vermeil), but the average ex-coach is a longshot to suddenly turn it around.

Admittedly, they've been on a hot streak lately (Coughlin, Dungy, Belichick), but I'm not certain that Billick, Schottenheimer, or the other guys are that caliber.

With Morris or another coordinator, there's a lot more risk, and I think, a much higher reward. Morris COULD be a world-class HC; we're pretty sure that Marty isn't. Or he could be the next Rich Kotite - we also know Schottenheimer's not one of them.

Here's the situation, I think. Coaches that have been fired, were fired for a reason. They're decent, but they're not the kinds of guys who are that likely to suddenly discover that they're great coaches. They're pretty good to average coaches. Obviously, there are exceptions for guys who left voluntarily (Cowher, Vermeil), but the average ex-coach is a longshot to suddenly turn it around.

Admittedly, they've been on a hot streak lately (Coughlin, Dungy, Belichick), but I'm not certain that Billick, Schottenheimer, or the other guys are that caliber.

With Morris or another coordinator, there's a lot more risk, and I think, a much higher reward. Morris COULD be a world-class HC; we're pretty sure that Marty isn't. Or he could be the next Rich Kotite - we also know Schottenheimer's not one of them.

I think one of our major weaknesses when we get into divisional games is the predictability and conventionality factor that weighs them down heavily like a big 'ol ship anchor. There's no suddeness or adaptability. There's no adjustments on the fly. That's what a new, fresh and passionate football guy would bring here. That's what this team needs. We don't know if Morris is that guy of course, but from what I read he certainly hits all of the marks on what I hope they hire. Heck, he even made Phillip Buchannan into a football player. <_<

Seriously though, our team needs a guy who will make it a point to keep the opposition on their toes instead of knowing everything we are going to do from kickoff to the final tick of the clock. I hope the Bills give a good look at Morris.

I could support an in house transition like this because he knows this team, is highly respected by the players, fiery, and considered the best at what he does. I still prefer an established coach though, I mean he is a special teams coach after all, so it leaves a lot of unknowns on how well he could manage a game as a HC, make adjustments, etc.

I just think that he would be an outside the box coach who would realize, I have to hire real experience, good football guys to run the offense and defense. Marv was a special teams guy who managed games well enough. You hire a retread you take a risk, you hire a new guy you take a risk, finding the right the coach is difficult. Unless you're the Pittsburgh Steelers, who hire every 15-20 years and never seem to miss. Maybe you should hire the Steelers front office as consultants amd they could hire our new coach.

I don't like the idea of handing the keys to the kingdom to one guy, say Bill Cowher unless he shows a willingness to work with people above. Coach/GM type guys just don't work in this league. But are we seriously gonna give this guy $7million per year. Then he'll want another $10-15million for his coaching staff. I doubt we'll spend that type of money.

What's wrong w Schottenheimer? I mean, he had the Chargers at 14-2 and got fired (for not winning in the playoffs). I don't know about you guys but at this point, if we had a HC that took our team to the playoffs a few years in a row, that would be one hell of an improvement.

I only WISH we could be bemoaning our inability to win deep into the playoffs, instead of our ability to win period. I think the "Marty can't win in the playoffs" thing could be overcome. And wouldn't that be cool, for Marty and the Bills to get the "can't win the big one" monkey off their backs together. Laugh all you want but some tough, ball control Marty ball might be just the ticket.

I don't know why you're getting on Silver's case, I've been the one guy trying to getting Morris' name out there.

Did you know that Mike Tomlin was never a defensive coordinator? In fact he had the same position that Morris holds at Tampa when he was hired by the Steelers, secondary coach. The Steelers smartly decided to hire a guy that was an authentic football coach. Is that what Raheem Morris is? Well you're right in that we have not much to go on but an article, but that doesn't mean that he can be dismissed as not being the real deal.

I'm not going to apologize if I do take Monte Kiffin and Rhonde Barber at their word on this guy's future as a football coach. Two guys, brilliant football coach and a current player who's had a great career. These guy's glowing support should at least be enough for the Bills to take a serious interest in him as a potential head coach.

The Bills should smartly do what the Steelers did and hire an authentic football coach. We know what we get with an NFL retread...no excitement, no direction, no creativity. Is that what you want? How about the Bills hire a guy that truly will light a fire under this team like the rookie coaches in Miami and Atlanta have done who by the way were never NFL coordinators but positional coaches when then were hired.

Tired of gambling on inexperienced coaches? Since when was Dick Jauron considered an inexperienced coach after having spent 5 years in Chicago?

This team needs a guy who can in fact elevate the players' passion on this team. A retread will not do that. A guy like Morris would actually do that. If former positional coaches can change doormats like the Falcons and the Dolphins, there's no reason why a no frills tough guy like Morris couldn't do the same thing here.

Why does everyone anoit Mike Tomlin the next great coach? What exactly has he done? He took over a team where every single of his key pieces he has now at every key position was already in place. He didnt build this team and this team already won a Super Bowl pretty much with the same players he has now. In fact, if you watch the Steelers game (I have to watch every one since my best friend is a Steeler fan that I watch football with at the bar on Sundays), he has made lots of mistakes as a coach during games where his inexperience has hurt him. His best asset is his personality and fiery attitude, but that can only take you so far.

It also reminds me of George Seifert who took over a darn good 49ers team and won a super bowl. Then couldnt sustain the team and didnt do too well when he took over in Carolina. So, until Tomlin takes over a poor team and makes them a good team or keeps the Steelers amongst the Elite over a period of time, then I am gonna hold off on using him as the bench mark to judge new coaches because all he has done so far is win with a team that won the Super Bowl 3 years ago with basically the same team he has now.

Same goes for Jon Gruden...he took over a team built by Dungy, wins the Super Bowl and hasnt sniffed it since. Now that his stamp is on that team they havent done too well to the point there is talk he is on the hot seat if they dont make the playoffs.

So I reserver judgement on a guy like Tomlin until he can prove he can do it with his own team, not Cowhers, because that Steeler team is still the team Cowher won the Super Bowl with.

Don't understand the love for Mariucci. He inherited a great 49er team and ran it into the ground and pooped the bed with the Lions.

In the late 1990s Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. was involved in a corruption investigation and lost control of the team and his big spending no holds barred ways ended.

Head coach Steve Mariucci -- whose published statements about his degree of power in the organization had frayed already-strained relations with management -- was fired by John York, despite a winning record. York has since said he made the correct decision to fire Mariucci, but could have handled it better; for instance, he admitted he should have made the announcement himself rather than hand that responsibility to general manager Terry Donahue.

Mariucci was with the 49ers from 1997-2002 he was 60-43 and went to the playoffs 4 times. He took over from George Seifert and got Steve young at the tail end of his career. And Look where the 49ers have gone since he left...

Anyone would have pooped the bed with the Idiot for a GM (Matt Millen)they used to have. Mariucci even stated on the NFL network that the Millen went over all the coaches and scouts heads and drafted who HE wanted.Also when he was told straight out by Mariucci that Joey Harrington was a waste,Millin refused to listen.So basically his hands were tied behind his back in Detroit.

The thing I like about Mariucci is the fact that he has a cheat sheet "style" that the intelligent coaches like John Gruden and other ex-offensive coordinators use. Meaning every play has a specific call assigned to it. Instead of just winging it and calling whatever you feel like. Which BTW is what Turk Schonert is constantly doing

You would never,and I mean never see Mariucci call shotgun on 3rd and one and actually try and throw for the first down. The sheet says run the ball= gives 90% success so that is what he would call.

Turk Schonert call shotgun on 3rd down and one three different times during the new England game,all three went incomplete passes and the next play was a punt.

In the late 1990s Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. was involved in a corruption investigation and lost control of the team and his big spending no holds barred ways ended.

Head coach Steve Mariucci -- whose published statements about his degree of power in the organization had frayed already-strained relations with management -- was fired by John York, despite a winning record. York has since said he made the correct decision to fire Mariucci, but could have handled it better; for instance, he admitted he should have made the announcement himself rather than hand that responsibility to general manager Terry Donahue.

Mariucci was with the 49ers from 1997-2002 he was 60-43 and went to the playoffs 4 times. He took over from George Seifert and got Steve young at the tail end of his career. And Look where the 49ers have gone since he left...

Anyone would have pooped the bed with the Idiot for a GM (Matt Millen)they used to have. Mariucci even stated on the NFL network that the Millen went over all the coaches and scouts heads and drafted who HE wanted.Also when he was told straight out by Mariucci that Joey Harrington was a waste,Millin refused to listen.So basically his hands were tied behind his back in Detroit.

The thing I like about Mariucci is the fact that he has a cheat sheet "style" that the intelligent coaches like John Gruden and other ex-offensive coordinators use. Meaning every play has a specific call assigned to it. Instead of just winging it and calling whatever you feel like. Which BTW is what Turk Schonert is constantly doing

You would never,and I mean never see Mariucci call shotgun on 3rd and one and actually try and throw for the first down. The sheet says run the ball= gives 90% success so that is what he would call.

Turk Schonert call shotgun on 3rd down and one three different times during the new England game,all three went incomplete passes and the next play was a punt.

I could go with "the Mooch".

I say after the season ends, or hell, start now. Make a serious ran at Marty, Dan Reeves, Brian Billick, Jim Fassell, and the Mooch, and maybe even Mike Martz. Surely you could get one of them. Any one of them would be an improvement. Pleeeeaaaaasssseee not another guy who has never been HC but everyone sez will be great.

Why does everyone anoit Mike Tomlin the next great coach? What exactly has he done? He took over a team where every single of his key pieces he has now at every key position was already in place. He didnt build this team and this team already won a Super Bowl pretty much with the same players he has now. In fact, if you watch the Steelers game (I have to watch every one since my best friend is a Steeler fan that I watch football with at the bar on Sundays), he has made lots of mistakes as a coach during games where his inexperience has hurt him. His best asset is his personality and fiery attitude, but that can only take you so far.

It also reminds me of George Seifert who took over a darn good 49ers team and won a super bowl. Then couldnt sustain the team and didnt do too well when he took over in Carolina. So, until Tomlin takes over a poor team and makes them a good team or keeps the Steelers amongst the Elite over a period of time, then I am gonna hold off on using him as the bench mark to judge new coaches because all he has done so far is win with a team that won the Super Bowl 3 years ago with basically the same team he has now.

Same goes for Jon Gruden...he took over a team built by Dungy, wins the Super Bowl and hasnt sniffed it since. Now that his stamp is on that team they havent done too well to the point there is talk he is on the hot seat if they dont make the playoffs.

So I reserver judgement on a guy like Tomlin until he can prove he can do it with his own team, not Cowhers, because that Steeler team is still the team Cowher won the Super Bowl with.

The Bucs had most pieces in place before Gruden arrived, but Gruden added the missing pieces that were necessary to go all the way & win the Super Bowl. After that year the Bucs were in cap hell, with no money for free agents & no high draft picks for a few years. The Bucs are a dark horse to get to the Super Bowl this year. If they beat the Panthers on Monday they should win ths NFC South.