My Thoughts On The Game

1-7-SF 7 (8:23) (Shotgun) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 2 for 5 yards (32-M.Lewis, 52-P.Willis).

3-1-SF 6 (10:49) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 7 for -1 yards (94-J.Smith).

That's 2 plays near the goal line, unless of course, you think the 6 and 7 yard line are NOT near the goal line.

You never said squat about the passing plays.

Why did the QB call those timeouts? Problem with the plays getting in on time?

That's ok. You are one of the last holdouts. It will come in time.

Haha, okay so I was wrong about the play Jackson ran 5 yards from the 7. And that's bad because?

And in fact on both plays the QB's had plenty of time. They looked at the defense, and instead of changing the play at the line, they called a timeout.

What about the passing plays would you like me to address? I started a whole other thread about not throwing to the open receivers. Somebody else mentioned the receiver that was WIDE open on the fourth down play that Losman never even looked at. Also Jauron's fault?

One timeout was wasted, by Jauron. The other two were called at the line by the QB. Fred Jackson ran ONCE in short yardage red zone opportunities. To me, you're grasping at straws to make your "Jauron is a bad coach" point.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think it was April who was calling for the "wasted" time out because it looked like they set up a tricky play for the PR which ensued. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but it looked like GWilson intentionally lay down in front of Roscoe on the return to trip up the coverage guys. Almost worked too...

the qb had to call them because the plays weren't being phoned in quick enough for the offense to line up. Also the fact that we are throwing on 2 and 2 and 3 and 2 from the goal line after lynch broke a 50 yarder on them, and also is normally money for at least one yard a play isn't exactly grasping at straws. I would say that the one grasping at straws is the person saying the coaching was adequite after a game where we put up 3 points on one of the worst defenses in the league

the qb had to call them because the plays weren't being phoned in quick enough for the offense to line up. Also the fact that we are throwing on 2 and 2 and 3 and 2 from the goal line after lynch broke a 50 yarder on them, and also is normally money for at least one yard a play isn't exactly grasping at straws. I would say that the one grasping at straws is the person saying the coaching was adequite after a game where we put up 3 points on one of the worst defenses in the league

Were you at the game?

Haha, okay so I was wrong about the play Jackson ran 5 yards from the 7. And that's bad because?

Lynch ran 16 times for 134 yards in the game. It was obvious he was the best O weapon today. Of the 4 trips inside the SF red zone (and there was 4), Lynch ran the ball 3 times out of the 16 plays called (not counting attempted FG). Each time was on first down. That's it. Seems to me, they would keep feeding the ball to their best player.

And in fact on both plays the QB's had plenty of time. They looked at the defense, and instead of changing the play at the line, they called a timeout.

What about the passing plays would you like me to address? I started a whole other thread about not throwing to the open receivers. Somebody else mentioned the receiver that was WIDE open on the fourth down play that Losman never even looked at. Also Jauron's fault?

Why were they even attempting to pass? The running game was working. You even said so. So why deviate from what was working?

Lynch ran 16 times for 134 yards in the game. It was obvious he was the best O weapon today. Of the 4 trips inside the SF red zone (and there was 4), Lynch ran the ball 3 times out of the 16 plays called (not counting attempted FG). Each time was on first down. That's it. Seems to me, they would keep feeding the ball to their best player.

Why were they even attempting to pass? The running game was working. You even said so. So why deviate from what was working?

Well, as the stats show the running game was NOT working in short yardage situations. With the exception of Jackson's five yard carry from seven yards out, of course! :blink:

EDIT: I'm counting 3 trips, 14 plays- making 25% of the plays going to Lynch. Take it for what it's worth.

Here are the plays from Buffalo's THREE trips to the redzone:

1-10-SF 19 (10:19) (Shotgun) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 19 for no gain (91-R.McDonald).

2-10-SF 19 (10:19) M.Lynch lines up at QB (T.Edwards wide). 11-R.Parrish right end to SF 10 for 9 yards (22-N.Clements). Reverse, handoff from M.Lynch. Measurement = third down.

3-1-SF 10 (9:05) 5-T.Edwards up the middle to SF 7 for 3 yards (93-R.Fields). QB sneak.

1-7-SF 7 (8:23) (Shotgun) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 2 for 5 yards (32-M.Lewis, 52-P.Willis).

2-2-SF 2 (7:38) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short middle to 86-D.Fine (96-K.Balmer). Pass tipped at line, ball fell short of receiver in back of end zone.

3-2-SF 2 (7:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short right to 82-J.Reed. Thrown away under pressure: P.Willis. Receiver in front right corner of end zone.

1-10-SF 15 (12:09) 23-M.Lynch up the middle to SF 14 for 1 yard (92-A.Franklin, 51-T.Spikes).

2-9-SF 14 (11:35) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short middle to 80-D.Schouman to SF 6 for 8 yards (51-T.Spikes). FUMBLES (51-T.Spikes), recovered by BUF-66-D.Dockery at SF 6.

3-1-SF 6 (10:49) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 7 for -1 yards (94-J.Smith).

0-0- Timeout #2 by BUF at 10:05.

4-2-SF 7 (10:05) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short right to 83-L.Evans (91-R.McDonald). Underthrown after QB pressure.

(following the 50 yard run)

1-9-SF 9 (10:23) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 12 for -3 yards (32-M.Lewis, 26-M.Roman).

2-12-SF 12 (9:44) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short right to 83-L.Evans to SF 4 for 8 yards (22-N.Clements). Caught at SF 5, curling to middle.

3-4-SF 4 (9:02) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short middle to 11-R.Parrish (30-D.Strickland). Receiver and coverage at goal line, crossing from left.

4-4-SF 4 (8:57) 9-R.Lindell 22 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-72-R.Neill, Holder-8-B.Moorman.

I'd say that claiming to have "abandoned" the run in the redzone is a bit dramatic, but one could make the argument that it wasn't done without historical consideration.

IMO, the above is damning proof that they abandoned the run when they were almost home (within the 10-15)... Out of around 11 attempts withing that range... They rush 5 times and one was a QB sneak... Break it down closer to the goal, they rushed less.