A kid that wants to go to war

aussiew

I'm finally facing every mother's nightmare - a son that wants to go to war. He has been accepted into the Army (Artillary) and will leave for basic training in about 3 weeks. My first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. A heart breaker. How do I wish him well when I don't support our invasion of Iraq?

I'm finally facing every mother's nightmare - a son that wants to go to war. He has been accepted into the Army (Artillary) and will leave for basic training in about 3 weeks. My first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. A heart breaker.  How do I wish him well when I don't support our invasion of Iraq?

87164[/snapback]

My brother has gone through two wars in Iraq....it's not fun when they are there. I'll say a prayer that your son stays safe. I'm sure you are conflicted but remember that he believes in what he is doing even if you don't support the reasons why we are there.

I'm sure you are conflicted but remember that he believes in what he is doing even if you don't support the reasons why we are there.

He's commited. But I suspect his reasons are more about the "glamor" of war rather than from a sense of duty.

I'm finally facing every mother's nightmare - a son that wants to go to war. He has been accepted into the Army (Artillary) and will leave for basic training in about 3 weeks. My first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. A heart breaker. How do I wish him well when I don't support our invasion of Iraq?

He certainly is going to be disappointed in the "glamor" aspect of it.

And as the risk of sounding like a sappy patiot, if I were you, Id hang the flag of child in service in your window and be proud as any mother can be that your Son has decided to sacrifice and serve his country. He is doing the most noble of things. And God forbid bad things should befall him, hold your head high that your son made the ultimate sacrifice and died a true hero, the highest of honors for any mother and child.

God Bless you and your son.

He's going to be VERY disappointed.

87288[/snapback]

Oh, I don’t know about that, each person is an individual and my have different reasons for wanting to go to war. I read a lot about Teddy Roosevelt and he glamorized his war experiences in his mind during and after the Spanish, American war. I believe his attitude is what kept him physical and mentally healthy during the fight. One plus is it did help him to become President.

You should be proud that your son is a patriot instead of some slacker burnout.

Tell him for me, that being an artilleryman is the greatest honor in the Army:

Redleg leads the way!

87406[/snapback]

WAIT a minute buckshot...

They wouldn't have anyplace to park those fancy guns if us tankers didn't clear the way.

Gary Owen.

You should be proud that your son is a patriot instead of some slacker burnout

Actually JSP, he has been a slacker for a few years. Wonderful kid with a good heart, but has had trouble "finding" himself. Probably typical of a kid raised with an absentee father. Even though an Australian, I've raised my kids to be US patriots. So, whatever his emotional reasons for going in to the service, or my personal feelings about the war, rest assured, I shall fly the flag proudly and put a big yellow ribbon around the tree in my front yard. I went through the Vietnam era so I know first hand how badly those guys were treated.

Actually JSP, he has been a slacker for a few years. Wonderful kid with a good heart, but has had trouble "finding" himself. Probably typical of a kid raised with an absentee father. Even though an Australian, I've raised my kids to be US patriots. So, whatever his emotional reasons for going in to the service, or my personal feelings about the war, rest assured, I shall fly the flag proudly and put a big yellow ribbon around the tree in my front yard. I went through the Vietnam era so I know first hand how badly those guys were treated.

87515[/snapback]

The Austrailians are awesome folks to serve with. I was on one of the oil platforms for the month of June and we were supported by a few coalition ships that were conducting surveillance and interdiction ops out there. The platform was all beat to hell because of the previous wars and we didn't have much of anything you could call a nicety. The ships realized that and would send over small boats for us for health and comfort runs. The US ships did the minimum for us while the Australian ship bent over backwards for us. Awesome ship, awesome crew that should be a standardbearer for all navies of the world. I could go on and on about that ship...

87515[/snapback]

God bless you, and god bless him. His story sounds much like mine. I'd drank my way out of college and was living in my car due to my poor choices. I was hungry and desperate, so I went into the Army to ensure a steady income.

Now? I'm successfully employed, a proud father of a beautiful daughter and have my head on my shoulders rather than in the gutter. I think that Army saved my life. I also beliee every young man should at some point serve in the military as it teaches discipline, respect and patriotic honor.

He's still your son and your opposition to the war doesn't mean you don't love and support him and his soon-to-be fellow troops.

I think your son is probably going in for the wrong reasons but in many cases the military does help people make something of themselves. I know my husband would be a major slacker if he hadn't done a tour with the Marines. His reason for joining wasn't particularly realistic but it worked out well for him, and I'm sure it will for your son too.

There are various support groups for families of soldiers in Iraq, including at least one for families against the war. PM me if you want and I'll connect you with some resources.

We'll all be praying for him, and you - that the choice was a good one for him and that he comes back to you safe and sound.

Id like to know more about this "Families againt the war" group. It is a country-bashing group of old anti-war leftists or is it a true support group for parents with mixed feelings about why their child has decided to join the ranks?