Kiffin to Tenn

Cynical

Apparently the Knoxville Sentinel is reporting Lane Kiffin has agreed in principle to be the new HC for the Vols.

Linky

Interesting line in the story:

Tennessee has not commented on the report and has denied that Kiffin, 33, has been offered the job.

:) I wonder if somebody inside UTenn is just throwing up a smokescreen.

Apparently the Knoxville Sentinel is reporting Lane Kiffin has agreed in principle to be the new HC for the Vols.

Linky

Interesting line in the story:

:) I wonder if somebody inside UTenn is just throwing up a smokescreen.

Kiffin by himself doesn't bother me much, but rumor has it he is bringing Orgeron with him. The coaching/recruiting skills the combination of those two bring would bring the Vols back up to prominence in the SEC. Like we really need another fuggin well coached recruiting giant in the area.

Kiffin by himself doesn't bother me much, but rumor has it he is bringing Orgeron with him. The coaching/recruiting skills the combination of those two bring would bring the Vols back up to prominence in the SEC. Like we really need another fuggin well coached recruiting giant in the area.

Neither Kiffin or Orgeron bother me. Kiffins collegiate coaching resume is as shallow as Al Davis. He was a Co-Cordinator at USC for two years. Wow. Color me underwhelmed.

As for Coach "O", he bombed out at Ole Miss. And if you think I'm being critical, here's a Vol's fan view:

Coach Orgeron

I've seen this head coach search before, circa Ole Miss in December 2004, when the Rebels were sweet-talked the week before Christmas into hiring the disaster known as Ed Orgeron.

We know how that horror movie turned out, don't we? Three seasons of players being verbally abused, a third of Coach Ohmygawd recruiting classes quitting or becoming ineligible, and the rest of the SEC wondering what the Ole Miss administration was smoking the day they hired Coach 0-for-the-SEC.

That makes me wonder how well Coach O will be able to recruit in the SEC. Throw in Kiffin's inexperience in this part of the country ...

It's not looking pleasant for UT on paper.

As for Kiffin:

Sticking Kiffin in the SEC's all-star lineup of coaches that includes four coaches who have won national championships (Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Urban Meyer) and another with an unbeaten season (Auburn's Tommy Tuberville) would be like tossing a goldfish into a pool of piranhas.

Ouch. And he forgot to mention Richt at UGA, the Nuttjob at Ole Miss, and Petrino at Arky.

IMO, if UT did hire Kiffin, along with Orgeron, they better hope daddy Monte comes along, otherwise UT is looking at a coaching hire that could make their program the second best in the state that plays in the SEC.

Now, if UT would to go hire Brian Kelly or Butch Davis, then I would go :) .

Neither Kiffin or Orgeron bother me. Kiffins collegiate coaching resume is as shallow as Al Davis. He was a Co-Cordinator at USC for two years. Wow. Color me underwhelmed.

Neither one bothers me by themselves, but together they should do alright. Whatever the Tenn fan thinks, Orgeron recruited very well at Miss. And he had that job for a reason, he isn't a bad coordinator.

With the talent he alone can bring in, and that fact that he can show Kiffin (who is a big name for recruits to look at and has experience working with some of the best offenses in college) the ropes of the SEC, I think they will be formidable.

I do agree with you that there are better head coaching candidates, but I do believe that Kiffin/Orgeron can bring Tenn out of the rut they are in.

I wonder if Daddy Kiffin is going too

I wonder if Daddy Kiffin is going too

That does appear to be the case, and so far today I haven't seen anything on Orgeron. Honestly, I feel better about this scenario. Defense was never Tenn. problem, and Monte won't do anything big for recruiting, especially since I doubt he'd be there that long.

Overall, bad decision by UT imo.

That does appear to be the case, and so far today I haven't seen anything on Orgeron. Honestly, I feel better about this scenario. Defense was never Tenn. problem, and Monte won't do anything big for recruiting, especially since I doubt he'd be there that long.

Overall, bad decision by UT imo.

Hang on a sec. Earlier you had a problem with Tenn hiring Kiffin. Do I sense a change in attitude?

Hang on a sec. Earlier you had a problem with Tenn hiring Kiffin. Do I sense a change in attitude?

No, you just didn't read enough. It was the combination of Kiffin/Orgeron that I thought would be tough. Kiffin/Kiffin doesn't worry me as much.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.