(LAMP) My Father Has To Change Churches

Steely Dan

My father is a minister who is moderate and doesn't buy into the whole ultraconservative BS of gay hating, keeping rape victims from getting morning after pills, pushing Christianity into society and the other things that make Christians look insane.

His church in Nebraska hung up signs "Jesus for President" and the minister is becoming a fundamentalist. (those ministers can really put the fun in fundamentalism! :ph34r: ) My father is of the mind that Jesus stood for love and acceptance and peace. He's very saddened by the churches turning into hate machines.

Hopefully he'll be able to find another church that reflects the true meanings of Christ in our opinions.

What gets me about religion... Why is it going this way... For a time (especially in the 19th century)... The church was at the center of the advancement of education and science.

My child was reading a book on Friar Gregor Mendel... Sure his work was never really appreciated until a while after his death... But, what would stuff like that be thought of by the relgious wackos today? The stem cell debate?

Linkage

Pope: Creation vs. evolution clash an ‘absurdity’

Benedict XVI also says humans must listen to ‘the voice of the Earth’

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI said the debate raging in some countries — particularly the United States and his native Germany — between creationism and evolution was an “absurdity,” saying that evolution can coexist with faith.

The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

Evidently Catholics are ahead of the curve on this one. :ph34r:

My father is a minister who is moderate and doesn't buy into the whole ultraconservative BS of gay hating, keeping rape victims from getting morning after pills, pushing Christianity into society and the other things that make Christians look insane.

His church in Nebraska hung up signs "Jesus for President" and the minister is becoming a fundamentalist. (those ministers can really put the fun in fundamentalism! :ph34r: ) My father is of the mind that Jesus stood for love and acceptance and peace. He's very saddened by the churches turning into hate machines.

Hopefully he'll be able to find another church that reflects the true meanings of Christ in our opinions.

I'm a little confused. First you say your father is the minister of a church that's becoming too fundamentalist. Then you say that the minister of his church is becoming a fundamentalist.

Evidently Catholics are ahead of the curve on this one. :lol:

They always have been. It is the wacky Protestants and the only thing they define themselves in not being Catholic.

Like the Yankees and the Red Sox... The Red Sox being the Protestants, they so want to be the Yankees, but do not want to be called the Yankees... Friggan wackos who can't handle authority.

It is all about opposition disorder with some.

;);)

I hear ya. I'm not religious myself, but I don't have a huge hate for religion (individual churches or people is another story) and when I'm visiting with family who go to church I gladly go along.

Recently I was visiting an uncle and his family and went to his church with them one night. They had a minister who had come in from another church (as he apparently did semi-regularly) there that night. He wasn't talking long before he started talking about the need to fight against the Muslim faith and what they stand for. He was going on about supporting Isreal and this and that. He was on that subject for about 20 min, the whole time I was getting increasingly angry/annoyed. I waited until he ended that topic and was winding up for his next thing and I quietly got up and left. Waited outside for about an hour until they finished.

When my uncle asked me why I left I tried to be as polite as possible and just told him that while I don't attend church often, when I do, I don't go to be preached hate in any way, shape or form.

Despite not being religious, I really respect the basic foundations that almost all religions are built on. I, like a lot of people, don't understand why it has to be taken to such places by so many people. Well, can't say I don't understand it. Just wish it didn't happen I suppose.

They always have been. It is the wacky Protestants and the only thing they define themselves in not being Catholic.

Like the Yankees and the Red Sox... The Red Sox being the Protestants, they so want to be the Yankees, but do not want to be called the Yankees... Friggan wackos who can't handle authority.

It is all about opposition disorder with some.

;);)

Most of the women I dated suffered from opposition disorder, in bed. :(:lol:

I hear ya. I'm not religious myself, but I don't have a huge hate for religion (individual churches or people is another story) and when I'm visiting with family who go to church I gladly go along.

Recently I was visiting an uncle and his family and went to his church with them one night. They had a minister who had come in from another church (as he apparently did semi-regularly) there that night. He wasn't talking long before he started talking about the need to fight against the Muslim faith and what they stand for. He was going on about supporting Isreal and this and that. He was on that subject for about 20 min, the whole time I was getting increasingly angry/annoyed. I waited until he ended that topic and was winding up for his next thing and I quietly got up and left. Waited outside for about an hour until they finished.

When my uncle asked me why I left I tried to be as polite as possible and just told him that while I don't attend church often, when I do, I don't go to be preached hate in any way, shape or form.

Despite not being religious, I really respect the basic foundations that almost all religions are built on. I, like a lot of people, don't understand why it has to be taken to such places by so many people. Well, can't say I don't understand it. Just wish it didn't happen I suppose.

Was this a Catholic church? I would really be surprised if it was.

??

If it was Catholic church, I wouldn't have been awake to hear it. :lol:

See that is the thing... :( I always have arguments with Protestant friends about this... Believe it or not, you get more Scripture and what not from a Catholic Mass... True, it is not very "user freindly"... It is not supposed to be. It might appear to be the exact opposite... But, it is up to you to take the information and get something out of it... If you go in thinking shallow with the Nivana line:

"Here we are now, entertain us."

Forget about it! You will be hung up in the standing, kneeling, and sitting...

I sat in on a Methodist service once at Christmas... Nothing but bell ringing the whole time and a quick benediction... ;);)

I think a lot of it is to feel superior to others. The only reason the churches support Israel is because their existence is a very important part of their little play called the rapture which will occur after the anti-christ comes to power. ;)

It's funny how many of the Christians will refer to someone as "the Antichrist" and don't want anything to with them. In their play the AntiChrist has to be in power for the rapture to come. So you'd think they'd love someone who they believe is the Antichrist. :lol:

See that is the thing... ;) I always have arguments with Protestant friends about this... Believe it or not, you get more Scripture and what not from a Catholic Mass... True, it is not very "user freindly"... It is not supposed to be. It might appear to be the exact opposite... But, it is up to you to take the information and get something out of it... If you go in thinking shallow with the Nivana line:

"Here we are now, entertain us."

Forget about it! You will be hung up in the standing, kneeling, and sitting...

I sat in on a Methodist service once at Christmas... Nothing but bell ringing the whole time and a quick benediction... :lol:;)

I was raised Catholic. Went to Sunday School, Mass every week, and Catholic school for 4 years. I know all about it.

The thing that gets me about Catholic Mass is the constant browbeating for money... That is what gets me. Not that I don't give or being asked to give... IMO, it obscures the message.

Churches are a lot about money but the Catholic church takes the cake in that regard. A friend of mine had her nephew getting first communion. She and several other people had camera's and video camera's. The Priest forbade them from using any of them and then at the end of the service they were told they could get a copy of the church shot video for $50.

Churches are a lot about money but the Catholic church takes the cake in that regard. A friend of mine had her nephew getting first communion. She and several other people had camera's and video camera's. The Priest forbade them from using any of them and then at the end of the service they were told they could get a copy of the church shot video for $50.

:lol:

Who learns from who? The Church, MLB, or the NFL?

;);)

Steely, what denomination was your dad in, if I may ask? That makes a lot of difference. It also can be the part of the country you're in. I guess Nebraska's part of the Bible belt. I've never been to the Cornhusker State, so I have no idea.

An example: The United Methodists can be liberal...or conservative. Again, it depends on where you are. The appalling Donald Wildmon (founder of the AFA, an organization that I've had some exposure to) is a United Methodist minister from Tupelo, Mississippi, which of course is the Bible belt. But the hierarchy of the UMC allows gay clergy. Go figure.

I am a devout Christian, as I've said here several times. I've been guilty of saying some things that evangelicals probably shouldn't say. My faith, however, is strong. It is a part of who I am, and believe me, I ask for forgiveness all the time.

Some of the activities of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ embarass me to no end. All I can do is live my faith and go forward.

Steely, what denomination was your dad in, if I may ask? That makes a lot of difference. It also can be the part of the country you're in. I guess Nebraska's part of the Bible belt. I've never been to the Cornhusker State, so I have no idea.

An example: The United Methodists can be liberal...or conservative. Again, it depends on where you are. The appalling Donald Wildmon (founder of the AFA, an organization that I've had some exposure to) is a United Methodist minister from Tupelo, Mississippi, which of course is the Bible belt. But the hierarchy of the UMC allows gay clergy. Go figure.

I am a devout Christian, as I've said here several times. I've been guilty of saying some things that evangelicals probably shouldn't say. My faith, however, is strong. It is a part of who I am, and believe me, I ask for forgiveness all the time.

Some of the activities of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ embarass me to no end. All I can do is live my faith and go forward.

He's Baptist. We call it Northern Baptist to differentiate between the wacko Southern Baptists.

The Church Of The Charging Buffalo is accepting of all denominations, as long as they're Bills fans.

He's in that church too!