An Objective View of Edwards

StupidNation

The Bills will continue to lose games when they force any young QB to carry the team

Good rebuttal, couldn't agree more. Obviously JP's pocket prescense leaves something to be desired - I'm not a huge fan but you're right who's to say he wouldn't have developed but I'm just saying he hasn't and he won't. Not with this team anyway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't fantasy football. It does not matter if Trent Edwards drove the team down near the end zone and Lynch finished up the drive.

You are correct this is not fantasy football. YARDAGE DOES NOT MATTER. You tell me how many times Trent threw it to the one yard line & it was taken in by the running back. I think there were also some rushing TD's when JP was QB that don't show up on his stats.

That game Monday may have been the worst QB'd game I've ever seen, which includes Rob Johnson's game vs. Tennessee.... He did not throw one pass near Evans which is unacceptable and no one has asked him or the coaches to justify it.... He had all day to throw and did nothing. Lynch was getting basically laterals and only because of his running do the stats look good. The TD pass was all Lynch. I bet his 10 catches were net behind the LOS.....

I have seldom seen a QB so out of it and you could not blame pressure or scrambling or being out of the pocket..... Heck he could have ran it a few times for some positive yards.

As much as I dislike him, maybe TO could have knocked some sense in him, because he would have been in his face demanding the ball.....

Remember 4 weeks ago eh was "better" then Jim Kelly according to some.

That sounds about right, but now you've got me wondering.

2-11-BUF 30 (7:54) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for 4 yards (52-D.Jackson). Screen, caught at BUF 25.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 4 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -5 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 4 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 9 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

3-7-BUF 34 (7:11) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for no gain (95-K.Wimbley). Dump pass, caught at BUF 29.

3rd Down Attempt Failed: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 5 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley)

2-8-BUF 43 (9:11) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 47 for 4 yards (22-B.McDonald; 52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 38.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 4 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 4 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 9 yards

Tackle Assist: CLV 22 (B.McDonald) Tackle Assist: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

2-11-CLV 18 (6:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Dump pass, caught at CLV 17.

1st Down Passing: BUF

Passing Yards, TD: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 18 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Reception Yards, TD: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 18 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 17 yards

2-10-CLV 22 (:40) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 12 for 10 yards (25-T.Cousin, 20-M.Adams). Flat pass, caught at CLV 20.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 10 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 2 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 8 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 25 (T.Cousin) Tackle Assist: CLV 20 (M.Adams)

2-6-BUF 43 (12:35) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at BUF 46 for 3 yards (54-A.Davis). Screen pass, caught at BUF 39.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 3 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -4 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 3 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 7 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 54 (A.Davis)

1-10-BUF 42 (6:19) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 43 for 1 yard (92-S.Rogers). Screen, caught at BUF 41.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -1 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 1 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 2 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 92 (S.Rogers)

3-9-BUF 43 (5:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for 12 yards (52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 43. M.Lynch crossed over middle to right sideline after catch.

3rd Down Attempt Converted: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 12 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

2-7-CLV 41 (10:06) 5-T.Edwards pass short middle to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 30 for 11 yards (24-E.Wright). Dump pass, caught at CLV 40.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 11 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 11 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

3-20-CLV 40 (8:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for -5 yards (24-E.Wright, 95-K.Wimbley). Screen pass, caught at CLV 45.

3rd Down Attempt Failed: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -5 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), -5 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright) Tackle Assist: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley) Tackle for a Loss: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

Total length of completions: -21 yards.

Lynch's total YAC: 79

Lynch's net yards: 58

Jp has not been consistant. He also had no consistency around him from either the team or coaching. When he leaves next year you may be right but the odds are just as great you will be wrong. Trent thus far has shown no more consistency than JP. Wait I take that back. In their careers JP has consistently improved while Trent has consistently gotten WORSE.

Trent started below average last year, then went to well above average at the beginning of this year, then plummeted in the past few games. In other words, he's inconsistent. JP went up and down for a year or two, consistently improved during 2006, plummeted and played poorly in 2007, and played extremely well in preseason this year and up until the team was desperate against the Cards. In other words, he has been inconsistent.

What you have are two young guys, and the light hasn't gone on for either one. No way of knowing who it will happen to first, or when, or even if both will eventually fail miserably. Both guys need playing time just to continue the improvement process.

JP was a roller coaster ride. Stretches (sometimes even entire games) where he played very well interrupted by stretches where he lost his mind (took the worst sack imaginable, threw the most inopportune pick, missed open receivers at critical times). He's a player that (to me) showed just enough to keep you interested and believe that he would become the real deal...until you reach such a point that you realize that it will likely not happen. I reached that point with JP.

I wish him well...hope he proves everyone wrong, just not against us. He was screwed up by this organization from very early on. What could he have done? Don't know, probably never will.

(one other thing...stats can be made to say pretty much what you want them to if you look hard enough)

Stats are useful. That's why they are kept. QBs with high completion percentages, high YPA and low interceptions are just good. They just are.

If stats can be manipulated, well so can everything else. Which means more, a stat or an unsupported opinion? Duh. This board was running over with opinions about Trent's poise a few months ago. Hundreds of posts saying "If you can't see that this guy is the real thing, you're blind, dumb and have never seen a football game before." And now, all of a sudden those folks who said "Hey, look at the guy's low YPA, it's a danger sign" are getting a hearing that they really didn't get the first time around as NFL defenses catch up to Trent's MO.

Stats are more useful and more important than unsupported opinion.

And you're right about the inconsistency, but inconsistency is what you get with young QBs without a lot of experience, and JP and Trent both qualify.

At this point, Trent has two-thirds of the games played that JP does. How about that for a meaningful, and perhaps surprising stat.