Falling into an Abyss...

I have a bad neck-ache from watching last nights game, simply because my body isn't used to shaking my head that much, and I've been a Bills fan for a long time, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

Before the Pats game, I wrote that we we're going to find out if we had the next Jim Kelly or the next Rob Johnson, Monday morning I wrote that we had our next Rob Johnson. Then, after the debacle that transpired last evening, I came to the startling realization the Rob Johnson quarterbacked our last playoff game. No, he didn't technically get us there, but he was the last QB to play a post-season game for Buffalo.

Now, onto the problem at hand. We once again have us a QB that had such promise, and now seemingly is just imploding before our very eyes. There is a big difference between a QB who makes mistakes and still believes in himself, and, well, Trent Edwards! I read a lot of posts on here earlier in the year that after Trent made a mistake, he'd be shown on the sidelines "moping", "sulking", or what have you. I lashed out at those of you that said those things as I believed Edwards was not "sulking" or "moping", but that he couldn't wait to get back out there and was angry and wanted to redeem himself. To those of you who wrote that stuff, I sincerely apologize to you. You we're absolutely right! Earlier this year I ragged on then-starting Titans QB Vince Young for his "emotional" troubles with the game. As it turns out, we have a much worse scenario on our hands in Buffalo. Did anyone really believe Trent in his post-game comments that Cleveland played a lot of "drop-back coverage" and all he had we're his check-down recievers? Come on, like he's going to get right up there and say that he was afraid to throw the ball down the field after the three picks?! No QB does that. But it is a FACT! He was and IS scared to throw down field. He will be next week in K.C., then vs. San Fran, then vs. Miami, ect. And when you have a QB who is playing scared, you have the worst thing you can have. Hell, not even Detroit has this problem and they're 0-10!

So, where do we go from here. Well, I think its more than safe to say the Bills will miss the Playoffs for the ninth consecutive season. They're going to stick with Jauron through the extension, whether we like it or not. And, lastly, I think they have to stick with Trent, whether we like it or not. He needs to grow, and it can't get much worse than this, that's the good news.

Did anyone really believe Trent in his post-game comments that Cleveland played a lot of "drop-back coverage" and all he had we're his check-down recievers? Come on, like he's going to get right up there and say that he was afraid to throw the ball down the field after the three picks?! No QB does that. But it is a FACT! He was and IS scared to throw down field. He will be next week in K.C., then vs. San Fran, then vs. Miami, ect. And when you have a QB who is playing scared, you have the worst thing you can have. Hell, not even Detroit has this problem and they're 0-10!

Actually, yes, I believe him, because that's exactly what Cleveland was doing. They were dropping 7-8 players into coverage almost every play and this is one of the reasons that the Bills had so much success running the ball last night. Its also a part of the reason that Edwards had so much trouble finding receivers downfield.

But as you say, it was not the entire problem. Edwards played very tentatively after those early interceptions and indeed, he looked scared. That was one of the worst QB performances I've ever seen in the NFL. I'm all for sticking with him the rest of the year to see if he can play out of it, but the Bills definitely need to bring in a quality competitor for Edwards next season.

Actually, yes, I believe him, because that's exactly what Cleveland was doing. They were dropping 7-8 players into coverage almost every play and this is one of the reasons that the Bills had so much success running the ball last night. Its also a part of the reason that Edwards had so much trouble finding receivers downfield.

But as you say, it was not the entire problem. Edwards played very tentatively after those early interceptions and indeed, he looked scared. That was one of the worst QB performances I've ever seen in the NFL. I'm all for sticking with him the rest of the year to see if he can play out of it, but the Bills definitely need to bring in a quality competitor for Edwards next season.

Well, then, we should've ran a little more then, huh? Not that we didn't run well and run more this week, but seems as though our Ivy League grad-coach would adjust when Trent was struggling. :thumbsup:

As much as i hate Tony Romo, i respect his resiliency. The guy throws some horrible picks but then keeps chucking it down the field. He doesn't let a previous play bother him. Trent does....unfortunately. Now he's standing there for 4-5 seconds pat, pat, pat...waiting for a receiver to be standing wide open b/f he throws the ball. Too bad that doesn't happen in the NFL. You gotta hit guys on the run, not standing still.

Well, then, we should've ran a little more then, huh? Not that we didn't run well and run more this week, but seems as though our Ivy League grad-coach would adjust when Trent was struggling. :thumbsup:

They should have early on, no question. But I don't expect much in the way of adjustment from this ultra-conservative, defensive minded coaching staff. They seem so scared of letting their offense play, a perfect example being that last drive, that I think they'd rather punt than play offense at all. Offense apparently is an afterthought and inconvenience to the Buffalo Bills front office and coaching staff.