One TV Image Summed It Up

MRM33064

It was quite a symbolic image on TV ..... Jauron, standing there in his stoic, emotionless haze of mediocrity with Jim Kelly looking over his shoulder. The present contrasted against the past.

In the background, we see a Hall of Famer whose spirit says "WIN IT!" In the foreground, we see a man whose spirit says "DON'T LOSE IT."

I can't help but think that Jauron's relentless drive for mediocrity is contributing a lot to this collapse. Everything about him exudes "average" or "unremarkable." It's not about yelling and screaming on the sidelines, but it is about cultivating a culture that replaces "let's take what they give us" with "let's take what we want."

Talent and execution ultimately rule the day, but if you were an NFL veteran looking to play for a coach that gave you the best chance to win a SuperBowl before you retire .... where would Dick Jauron be on your list?

They had a 4-1 team and Jauron decided to play safeball from game six on. He probably figured they could play that way and coast into the playoffs. Trent hasn't been right the last few weeks, and I put a lot of that on coaching. If we had a coach with some balls, he would have won at least three of the last four. Each game, there have been critical coaching mistakes with game management that just killed any chance of a Bills victory.

With a decent coach, this team would be 8-2 or 7-3 right now.

They had a 4-1 team and Jauron decided to play safeball from game six on. He probably figured they could play that way and coast into the playoffs. Trent hasn't been right the last few weeks, and I put a lot of that on coaching. If we had a coach with some balls, he would have won at least three of the last four. Each game, there have been critical coaching mistakes with game management that just killed any chance of a Bills victory.

With a decent coach, this team would be 8-2 or 7-3 right now.

YUP

It was quite a symbolic image on TV ..... Jauron, standing there in his stoic, emotionless haze of mediocrity with Jim Kelly looking over his shoulder. The present contrasted against the past.

In the background, we see a Hall of Famer whose spirit says "WIN IT!" In the foreground, we see a man whose spirit says "DON'T LOSE IT."

I can't help but think that Jauron's relentless drive for mediocrity is contributing a lot to this collapse. Everything about him exudes "average" or "unremarkable." It's not about yelling and screaming on the sidelines, but it is about cultivating a culture that replaces "let's take what they give us" with "let's take what we want."

Talent and execution ultimately rule the day, but if you were an NFL veteran looking to play for a coach that gave you the best chance to win a SuperBowl before you retire .... where would Dick Jauron be on your list?

Bravo, awesome post.