Happy Holiday's Everyone!

HO HO HO

http://www.gazette.com/articles/christmas_..._retailers.html

Focus on the Family wants shoppers to know which retailers are naughty and which ones are nice - at least when it comes to holiday lingo.

On Thursday the Colorado Springs-based ministry's political action arm launched its second-annual holiday campaign by posting an online shoppers guide with three categories: "Christmas-friendly" retailers, "Christmas-negligent" retailers and "Christmas-offensive" retailers.

The "friendly" retailers are so designated because they prominently use "Merry Christmas" and other Christmas-specific references in their catalogs and in-store promotions. Those on the Christmas-offensive list use secular phrases such as "happy holidays" and have "apparently abandoned" the use of the word "Christmas," Focus said. Christmas-negligent companies "marginalize" their message by using "Christmas" in some cases and "holidays" in others.

The ministry - which made its determinations based mostly on an examination of retailers' print and online holiday catalogs - encourages shoppers to patronize the Christmas-friendly stores, but does not tell them to avoid the other retailers.

"It is not a boycott," said Sonja Swiatkiewicz, Focus' director of issues response. "Consumers can do what they wish with the information."

Maybe some atheists can bum-rush Dobson's Church next Sunday like those Prop 8 thugs are doing in CA.

Disclaimer: I hate Tom Dobson. Gives good, religious people a bad name.

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in god but I believe in Jesus. The holiday should be called Christmas to honor the birth of Christ. I hate pussies who cave to pressure.

Which pusies? The ones that cave to Dobson's pressure or the ones that want to seem more diverse and attract non-christians to their businesses?

So you're saying that the way to get non-Christians to shop in your store is to change the holiday's name? Doesn't say much for some of these non-Christians. I think the holidy was quite lucrative when everyone called it Christmas.

Which pusies? The ones that cave to Dobson's pressure or the ones that want to seem more diverse and attract non-christians to their businesses?

Diversity is the EMBRACING of other's cultures and traditions, not white-washing them so that they are "inclusive."

So you're saying that the way to get non-Christians to shop in your store is to change the holiday's name? Doesn't say much for some of these non-Christians. I think the holidy was quite lucrative when everyone called it Christmas.

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that if a store feels they will make shoppers feel more welcome if they are greated with "happy holidays" then so be it.

Why would anyone be offended by Happy Holiday? There ARE several holidays in December and early January, so Happy Holidays is a nice way to wish everyone well, without being specific.

I respect anyone's right to use Merry Christmas, if they choose, too.

But, if you want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, even though they don't celebrate that holiday, what's wrong with that? Isn't it OK for someone to wish you happiness on a particular date, or time of year? Of course, following that logic, those who wish others Merry Christmas, should also appreciate when others wish them a Happy Chanukah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, New Year, etc.

To me, it's all good. I just think making a big issue out of any of it is simply a waste of time and energy.

Of course, those who push the "Merry Christmas" greeting, and are pissed or offended at any of the other appropriate greetings this time of year, are bigoted scum bags whose opinions (to which they are entitled) should be ignored by the sensible. We should also mock then, at every opportunity.

Why would anyone be offended by Happy Holiday? There ARE several holidays in December and early January, so Happy Holidays is a nice way to wish everyone well, without being specific.

I respect anyone's right to use Merry Christmas, if they choose, too.

But, if you want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, even though they don't celebrate that holiday, what's wrong with that? Isn't it OK for someone to wish you happiness on a particular date, or time of year? Of course, following that logic, those who wish others Merry Christmas, should also appreciate when others wish them a Happy Chanukah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, New Year, etc.

To me, it's all good. I just think making a big issue out of any of it is simply a waste of time and energy.

Of course, those who push the "Merry Christmas" greeting, and are pissed or offended at any of the other appropriate greetings this time of year, are bigoted scum bags whose opinions (to which they are entitled) should be ignored by the sensible. We should also mock then, at every opportunity.

It becomes an issue for people like me, not when Happy Holidays is used, or when other holidays that are celebrated are brought to the table, but when the word Christmas and any semblance of the real meaning of Christmas is struck out intentially. When you hear of "Holiday Trees" and the removal of Christian religious tradition, such as displaying of the Nativity. When you banned at work from stringing lights from your desk or saying the word "Christmas." And worse, when these things are done under tha nname of "tolerance and inclusion." That sort of thing is sad, pathetic and offensive.

It becomes an issue for people like me, not when Happy Holidays is used, or when other holidays that are celebrated are brought to the table, but when the word Christmas and any semblance of the real meaning of Christmas is struck out intentially. When you hear of "Holiday Trees" and the removal of Christian religious tradition, such as displaying of the Nativity. When you banned at work from stringing lights from your desk or saying the word "Christmas." And worse, when these things are done under tha nname of "tolerance and inclusion." That sort of thing is sad, pathetic and offensive.

I agree stuff like "Holiday Trees" is simply stupid, and I can understand (I suppose) why it might upset you, although I assume if you are Christian then you and your family call them Christmas trees. The banning of nativities and such is also dumb, IMO...assuming you would also allow menorahs and such...and why wouldn't you?

But, wishing someone Happy Holidays is NOT an insult. And calling the company end of the year party a "Holiday Party" or something is not an insult either, assuming that not everyone in the company celebrates Christmas. Call it an End of the Year party, if you must...just have an open bar!

I always loved that section of the Bible where Jesus and the saints decorated the first christmas tree. Touching, heart warming and inspiring :thumbsup:

I always loved that section of the Bible where Jesus and the saints decorated the first christmas tree. Touching, heart warming and inspiring :thumbsup:

I just realized...you dont understand the point people are trying to make becuase you are a !@#$ing retard of the highest order. I have dust balls under the couch smarter than you. You make BF look like Dick Cavett. Youre such a huge cokcsucker, Jenna Jameson calls you for advice. If a terrorist hijacked your flight, Id feel bad for HIM becuase he devoted all that time and training only to waste his martyrdom on YOU.

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that if a store feels they will make shoppers feel more welcome if they are greated with "happy holidays" then so be it.

I thought selling a great product and giving customer service is what made customers more welcome. If someone feels less welcome at a store that proudly displays Merry Christmas signs they've got a problem. That's what wrong with this country (and I blame with weenie libs for this) is that we're more concerned about making people comfortable and not hurting their feelings.