Herm Edwards

meazza

why because he had the balls to go for the win?

Im not a fan of his but i liked the call to go for it but the play call was terrible...there was no way it was going to be a run, san diego was playing pass and they called a college inside fake play action pass that was going to Gonzalez but it didnt fool anyone

Normally I wouldn't have blamed him for going for it, but they ran, what, three plays from the 2 or inside immediately before the failed conversion. The conversion play might have been the fourth-best call in that situation.

The play calling on that whole set of downs was so obvious. The dive on 2nd down before the timeout, and then lining the ball up on the left hash to roll Thigpen right on the conversion - not very creative and very predictable.

You are playing a better team and you have a chance to win the game from the 2 yard line, vs. kicking the point, still leaving time on the clock 25 seconds for SD to try and win or hoping for the luck in OT......

Great call, bad result.....

Going for it may have been a good call, but the play they tried was downright stupid. If that's the best they can come up with, they should kick the point.

Going for it may have been a good call, but the play they tried was downright stupid. If that's the best they can come up with, they should kick the point.

Isn't that what I said???? I'm sure Jauron would have had a better play call.... Like the third and goal from the 2 with Lynch today :w00t:

Aside from having a team going nowhere fast, thus leading to the "What the hell" attitude Herm took in making that call, they couldn't execute a simple extra point earlier in the game, which led to having to make that decision in the first place.

I say kudos to Herm for making that decision.

Bet he doesn't go for it if Shanahan hadn't earlier this year and been exaulted as a courageous hero for doing so. Now it is popular to call that decision courageous when in this case esp I think it was a total BS decision

Herm may not be a good coach, but I'd give him a little more credit than that.

This one actually made more sense to me than Denver, KC being such a crappy team on the road.

He's an idiot. It took his team something like 7 tries to get a TD from in close, so what made him think they could easily get the 2? And it's not like Chargers were running up and down the field and scoring on them, so there was no reason to think they'd lose if Chargers won the toss. He's a complete idiot, wish he still coached the Jets.

I don't see any problem with the call. They are 1-7 with nothing to lose, they were going for the win knowing that SD is most likely the better team, and they need to capitalize on the position.

NFL coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Everyone complains about DJ not having balls, yet they would crucify him for something like this cause its not a safe move. You don't show balls by doing the safe things, you show you have balls by going for the win in that situation.

the play they chose might have been the wrong one, but going for the win at that point in a game, especially as a 1-7 team was not a dumb move.

I don't see any problem with the call. They are 1-7 with nothing to lose, they were going for the win knowing that SD is most likely the better team, and they need to capitalize on the position.

NFL coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Everyone complains about DJ not having balls, yet they would crucify him for something like this cause its not a safe move. You don't show balls by doing the safe things, you show you have balls by going for the win in that situation.

the play they chose might have been the wrong one, but going for the win at that point in a game, especially as a 1-7 team was not a dumb move.

Many of us admire the guts he showed. I think the problem was having no plan, or personnel, to cash the check his balls wrote. When you go to a gunfight it is a good idea to bring a loaded gun.

If the Bills were in the same situation (minus the 1-7 record), and they made the same move and didn't convert, what would you have said?

If it had been the Bills i would have said the same thing."you play to win the game"(Herm Edwards)when he was with the Jets.Anyhow i would rather go down swinging than in the prone position that good ole Dick put us in.