Did MM imply yesterday that JP isn't

I thought I caught on the post game show that when MM was put on the defensive & asked about starting JP, he said JP's not fully comfortable with his all of his drops yet & really not ready to play.

Sure he has missed practice time due to injury, but not mental reps. Why is JP not ready yet another rookie, Roethlisberger, has his team sitting at 5-1?

Did anyone else hear MM say this?

Or is MM's thinking that:

1) they're afraid to play JP fearing he'll get killed behind this OL, or

2) they're afraid the OL is so bad it will ruin JP's confidence & progress, or

3) they're not ready to replace Drew until they're mathematically eliminated

Thoughts?

I thought I caught on the post game show that when MM was put on the defensive & asked about starting JP, he said JP's not fully comfortable with his all of his drops yet & really not ready to play.

Sure he has missed practice time due to injury, but not mental reps.  Why is JP not ready yet another rookie, Roethlisberger, has his team sitting at 5-1?

Thoughts?

84577[/snapback]

The guys who watch college ball will likely tell you that comparing Roethlisberger with Losman is not a fair assessment given the programs under which they played.

Fact is, pulling Drew for ineffectiveness would be a very, very big deal in the NFL, and if they're going to do it, look to reason number 3 as to why and when it will happen. We're 1-5 and have no signs of life. Letting Bledsoe bow out gracefully after all these years, however unpopular in Bills nation, is likely what we're gunning for.

d) none of the above. To Do (not TD) won't let them do it. He'll live and die with Bledsoe.

and i fail to see how this O-line is as bad as everyone thinks. It's hard to be any good when the D's send more than the kitchen sink in at you on every play.

If teams had to respect the escapability of any QB, teams would have to defend us differently. Yes, Losman would take his hits, throw INT's, fail to read, etc. But complete a few passes, burn a few blitzes, run for a few 1st downs (Drew can't do the latter),

and you'll see these defenses ease off a bit.

While we can't blame Bledsoe completely for the laugher that this offense has become, we can certainly START to fix it and change the way Defenses attack us.

One quote last week from Suggs that pretty much shows the way teams prepare for a Bledsoe led offense: "We get to rush him all out. You know where he is going to be, all you have to do is get there."

Teams cannot take that attitude going against a half mobile QB. This is where Bledsoe hurts us.

The OVERWHELMING consensus when JP was drafted is that he was very raw and very immature. He would need 2-3 seasons of riding the pine before stepping on the field. Then he broke his leg. Now people want to start him and expect roth type numbers? Get out of town. Now Matthews, there is an idea I can get behind. But losman? Maybe give him a cup of coffee here and there, but thats aobut it.

...he said JP's not fully comfortable with his all of his drops yet & really not ready to play.

84577[/snapback]

My take was from a physical standpoint he's not "there" yet. I know MM mentioned that JP was running the scout team a bit, and participated as "an arm" in some of the other positional drills. But he was quick to mention it was "all no-contact work."

Sure he has missed practice time due to injury, but not mental reps.  Why is JP not ready yet another rookie, Roethlisberger, has his team sitting at 5-1?

Thoughts?

84577[/snapback]

What I took those comments to mean was that PHYSICALLY he is not ready to play yet.

"Not being comforatable with his drops" isn't a mental thing, he meant (imo) that his leg is sore/tender/hesitant during his drops and that affects how he is playing. The kid isn't ready to play yet. Give him a couple more weeks.

The OVERWHELMING consensus when JP was drafted is that he was very raw and very immature.  He would need 2-3 seasons of riding the pine before stepping on the field.  Then he broke his leg.  Now people want to start him and expect roth type numbers?  Get out of town.  Now Matthews, there is an idea I can get behind. But losman?  Maybe give him a cup of coffee here and there, but thats aobut it.

84600[/snapback]

So you are saying, YES, MM said JP is not ready? Has anyone in Bills nation ever said JP needs 2-3 years of seasoning (like Steve McNair)? I've never heard that.

So you are saying, YES, MM said JP is not ready?  Has anyone in Bills nation ever said JP needs 2-3 years of seasoning (like Steve McNair)?  I've never heard that.

84611[/snapback]

never heard that. a 1st round QB in today's NFL should not need 2-3 years on the bench.

Thoughts?

84577[/snapback]

It might be a combination of Losman really not being ready yet, and them waiting until they're mathmatically out of the race.

It's going to be tougher for JP than Roethlisberger because of the interuption in his development.

JP hasn't played in a game situtation since August. It's tough for a guy to rehab an injury, be mentally up on the offense, and be acclimated to the real spead of the game.

Add to that, that the coaches might still have it in their minds that this offense can click (although that's probably fading after yesterday's game), and that they'll fight for this season as long as they can.

Anyway, the goal should be to get Losman between 5 and 7 starts this year. That should give him enough time to get caught up, and for the offense to play us out of contention.

if anybody remembers mback to preseason... Bledsoe & the rest fo the 1st stringers would come in and go 3 and out, 3 and out etc. Travis brown would move the ball ok, JP looked great, and would march down the field for a touchdown. As it stands right now... he CAN'T be any worse than Bledsoe. Bledsoe isn't "there yet" and he's in his ealry thirties. JP would not have had 4 picks yesterday, and most likely would have put pts on the board being in the redzone as much as we were yesterday. I say after we lose to Arizona next week, which we most likely will (1-6) at that point, we say Bledsoe back us up for the rest of the year, and see ya later next year. Get some cap space back, and look to draft/sign OT, OG, FS, WR... Mike Williams is officially a Bust. You can make the argument like I have that he gets the job done, however for a #4 pick in the draft, he is a bust. Josh Reed is a 2nd Rd. Bust, or near Bust. Coy Wire is almost a bust too, although it is hard from adjusting from LB in college, to SS in the NFL covering NFL caliber receivers (only Donahoe would make a switch like this. We are a pathetic team, we haven't been good since Flutie was in town back in 99.

You mean like Steve McNair or Chad Pennington?

84633[/snapback]

yeah, the Jets were 9-7 in 2000 and 10-6 in 2001. They didn't need a change at QB.

and the 95-96 Oilers hardly qualifies as today's FA driven NFL.

the future needs to get a head start now, I think. As soon as JP is healthy and Drew hasn't transformed into Dante Culpepper, you bet your a$$ I'd play JP.

You mean like Steve McNair or Chad Pennington?

84633[/snapback]

Let's rush him in ala Ryan Leaf. Even McNabb sat most of a year behind a no talent Doug Pederson just so he could get used to the NFL.

I think we start Drew for now (this season is clearly fooked), and give JP reps for the last few games of the season when little is on the line. That gets him in the game and gives the fans something to watch when there's nothing to play for.

Let's rush him in ala Ryan Leaf. Even McNabb sat most of a year behind a no talent Doug Pederson just so he could get used to the NFL.

I think we start Drew for now (this season is clearly fooked), and give JP reps for the last few games of the season when little is on the line. That gets him in the game and gives the fans something to watch when there's nothing to play for.

84808[/snapback]

Like Ryan Leaf???? Manning started as a rook as well, the same year. His team was horrible. But even as bad as the Colts played, you could see Manning progress every game, and take charge of the offense. We need to utilize this losing time to get JP's hard times over with.

The OVERWHELMING consensus when JP was drafted is that he was very raw and very immature.  He would need 2-3 seasons of riding the pine before stepping on the field.  Then he broke his leg.  Now people want to start him and expect roth type numbers?  Get out of town.  Now Matthews, there is an idea I can get behind. But losman?  Maybe give him a cup of coffee here and there, but thats aobut it.

84600[/snapback]

Jim...

You KILLIN me.....

You dont give up a 1st round pick for a kid to sit for 2-3 seasons.......now the first year I understand....but TWO - THREE YEARS?

No team can afford to do that.....we would have been better off waiting and taking a Cody Pickett type......